Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 July 2004
There have been many rumors about a re-release of Rachel's fantastic album "Funky Dory" (first release in September 2003). After the cancelling of the third single "Breathe In, Breathe Out" everyone wanted to hear the new version of it that was re-recorded in Sweden. Now we'll be able to hear the single mix of a great song! Next to this there is her brandnew single "Some Girls" and the Sky Sports Commercial song: "More, More, More" (cover of 70s disco hit).
I actually don't know what the "Sweet Dreams (Original Radio Edit)", but I guess it's the version we already know from the first album.
What's new?
* Artwork
* "Funky Dory (Single Version)"
* "Breathe In, Breathe Out (Single Version)"
* "Some Girls"
* "More, More, More"
* "Some Girls (Remix)"
and maybe: "Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex (Original Radio Edit)"
Everyone who hasn't bought the original album yet: Buy this re-release! It's your second chance to hear songs sung by a big talent: Rachel Stevens. And for those who bought her first album can also buy this new version - why not? There are cool new tracks and the cover is just amazing!
So go and get it :)
on 27 May 2004
Rachel Stevens, Ex S - Club Member Delivered to us a Pop Masterpiece called "Funky Dory", it has a lot of catchy songs, delicious beats and seductive lyrics.
Rachel is still growing in many ways. Since she left "S Club", she has a more mature, fresh & cosmopolitan sound, making her the ideal pop icon.
Every song on "Funky Dory" has a "Something" that keeps you listening to the album more and more.
1. Sweet Dreams (My LA EX): The Lead Single, It has a very acoustic sound. Produced by Cathy Dennis, the song has style and the general audience liked it - My LA EX peaked at Number 2 in the UK.
2. Funky Dory: Lots of Latin Beats, Funny & Catchy Lyrics -The title track was the 2nd Single from the Album
3. Fools: Great Song - It stays in your mind. Again, Rachel is delivering to us an acoustic song.
4. Breathe In, Breathe Out - Fresh Sound, perfect for the morning, "Breathe In, Breathe Out" is a standout of the album
5. Glide: Exquisite Song, "Glide" is one of my favorites from "Funky Dory". It may sound strange at first, but it will grow on you. Pure Pop Perfection
6. Heaven Has To Wait: The "Ballad", Heaven has to wait is one of my favorite songs of 2004 (That says a Lot). Rachel shows her vocal range on this one.
7. Blue Afternoon: Relaxing Track, again Rachel scores here. "Blue Afternoon" is perfect on those rainy days or as the title says, is great in those Blue Afternoons
8. I Got The Money: It sounds good, it's a great track to listen in some nights - For a strange reason, it reminds me of a Casino
9. Little Secret: Catchy Chorus & Lyrics - This Song was the B-Side to "Sweet Dreams (My LA Ex)"
10. Solid: It's one of the strongest Tracks of the album. As the title says it's "Solid", Rachel sings very well in this one too
11. Silk: The Dark Track of the Album & the sexiest too, it's the perfect example of the new mature sound of Rachel Stevens.
12. Sweet Dreams (My LA Ex) (Bimbo Jones Club Mix). What More Can I Say?. It's A Remix of Sweet Dreams (An Excellent Track) - and It was remixed by Bimbo Jones = Excellent.
I'm Hoping that Rachel will be with us for a long time in the music industry, ahe deserves it. Now, I'm Looking forward for her new single "Some Girls" that will be released very soon.
Thanks for reading this review. Your Vote will be very appreciated.
on 10 October 2003
It's not been that long since S Club's untimely split, but already Rachel Stevens has released her debut solo album! In this review I will describe each and every song on this excellent album.
1. "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex" - We've all heard this one. It's a mid-tempo latin/pop song with attitude. The lyrics are very clever.
2. "Funky Dory" - Definetly a stand out track. This is another latin/pop song. This also has very clever lyrics. This song never gets old.
2. "Fools" - A country-ish upbeat guitar song...this is probably the most S Club song on the album.
4. "Breath In Breath Out" - Definetly not the strongest song on the album. Very upbeat and optimistic.
5. "Glide" - Definetly one of the best tracks on the album. It's a combination between dance and R'n'B.
6. "Heaven Has to Wait" - The only straight forward ballad on the album. This song is truely beautiful. It really shows Rachel's superb vocal range.
7. "Blue Afternoon" - My personal favorite. This song is rather jazzy but still keeps in touch with the rest of the songs on the album. It's very relaxing and refreashing.
8. "I Got The Money" - This song is very different from S Club and very grown up for Rachel. It's so R'n'B that it's almost hip-hop. Again, very clever lyrics.
9. "Little Secret" - This song was included as a b-side to "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex". It's the definite pop song on this album. It has very awesome sound effects and shout along lyrics.
10. "Solid" - Another one of the weaker songs of the album. It's also one of the more poppy songs on the album. The lyrics are rather weak and it doesn't really stick in your head like the reast of the album does.
11. "Silk" - Another excellent song. "Silk" is very dark and myterious. It could very well be a James Bond theme song!
12. "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex (Remix)" - This remix transforms the original song into a very up-tempo disco stomper.
Overall, I think this album is absolutly spectacular. An excellent debut! This album is living proof that the future is nothing but bright for Miss Rachel Stevens!
on 17 February 2005
Rachel Stevens, Ex S - Club Member just delivered to us a Pop Masterpiece called "Funky Dory", which include a lot of catchy songs, delicious beats and seductive lyrics.
Rachel is still growing in many ways. Since she left the massive "S Club", she has a more mature, fresh & cosmopolitan sound, making her the ideal pop icon.
Also, every song on "Funky Dory" has a 'special something' that keeps you hooked to the album.
Let's review the album tracks:
1. Some Girls: The Sport Relief's single of 2004, "Some Girls" it's an electro flavoured track ala Goldfrapp's "Strict Machine" -which exploded on the USA dance chart a couple of months ago-, easily one of the best tracks of the year !
2. Sweet Dreams (My LA EX): The Lead Single of the album, It has a very acoustic sound to it. Produced by Cathy Dennis, the song has an unique style and *obviously* the mainstream audience liked it - My LA EX peaked at Number 2 in the UK.
3. Funky Dory: Fabulous track, which has an original sound & strangely catchy lyrics - The title track was the 2nd Single from the Album, but it was sadly overlooked by the UK public back in December 2003 =(
4. Fools: Great song - It will stay in your mind for a while, you have been warned!. Again, Rachel is delivering to us an acoustic pop song. This one was also included on Disney's 'The Princess Diaries 2' soundtrack, but with 'less seductive' lyrics
5. Breathe In, Breathe Out: Fresh & uplifting track, perfect for a sunny day because of it's happy lyrics & strings, "Breathe In, Breathe Out" is a standout of the album and shines with it's own light
7. Glide: Exquisite Song, "Glide" it's one of my favorites from "Funky Dory". It may sound strange at first -it has weird beats in the background-, but it will grow on you quickly. Pure Pop Perfection !
7. Heaven Has To Wait: The Big "Ballad" of the album, Heaven has to wait includes strings & a sad piano on the background. Rachel shows her vocal range on this one.
8. More, More, More: Latin-esque beats, faux-samba sounding track delivered by Stevens, the album version it's a bit weak, though the single version it's dance tastic !!!
9. Blue Afternoon: Relaxing Track, once again Rachel scored some points here. "Blue Afternoon" it's perfect for those rainy days or as the title says, it's great for a listening experience on those Blue Afternoons :P
10. I Got The Money: It sounds good, it's a great track to listen at night - For a strange reason, it reminds me of a Casino, Don't know why lol !
11. Little Secret: Catchy Chorus & Lyrics - This Song was the B-Side to "Sweet Dreams (My LA Ex)", it would have been a great single choice.
12. Solid: It's one of the strongest Tracks of the album, and as the title says is "Solid" :P, Rachel sings very well in this one too - showcasing her beautiful voice.
13. Silk: The 'Dark' soundsing track of the album & the sexiest one too, it's the perfect example of the new mature sound of Rachel Stevens.
Hopefully, Rachel will be in the music industry for a long time , she deserves it. Now, I'm waiting for her new solo release. Pick up this one - you won't be dissapointed
Thanks for reading this review
on 11 November 2003
WOW! This album is GREAT!!
1. Sweet Dreams My L.A.EX- its a great song to dance to. Its got smart lyrics
10.Silk- its different and funky
11.Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex (Bimbo Jones Club Mix- fresh and upbeat
Overall I give this cd a 10/10
on 31 July 2004
Late last year you probably heard the single "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex", saw the video on TV and thought, hey that's pretty good. You probably then saw the album "Funky Dory" on the racks in the record shop and thought, yeah the single was good, but the rest is bound to be standard pop pap filler. After all, this is Rachel S Club, the plastic pop puppet.
But, if you did think that, how wrong you were. This is an excellent album. Full of foot tapping, bass thudding, hook laden songs of contemporary pop/rock/funk - music for grown ups. The care and attention lavished on the songwriting, production and performance shines through on every track. If this had been a debut album from a cooler artist than Rachel Stevens it would have been showered with best album and best newcomer nominations.
If you don't believe me (and the music critic from The Observer for God's sake who gave it five stars!), listen to it yourself. You won't be disappointed.
And now, reissued with the added bonus of Rachel's collaboration with Richard X on the thunderous "Some Girls"!
A work of pop art indeed.
on 27 July 2004
Funky Dory (new version) is an album definitely worth checking out.
The album explores a variety of styles, with each track having its own identity. While the album has a focus on funky pop/R&B tracks (eg. Sweet Dreams My LA Ex, Glide), there is more variety in the form of laid back tracks (eg. Heaven Has To Wait, Blue Afternoon) and dancey tracks (eg. Some Girls, More More More).
The original version of the album was good, but more has been added to really pull together the album and make it worth it's 5-star rating.
WHAT'S BEEN ADDED:
This new version features the recent single 'Some Girls', a new track 'More More More', the single mix of 'Funky Dory', a brand new version of the track 'Breathe In Breathe Out' and a very good remix of 'Some Girls'.
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2003
Rachel Stevens didn't wait long for S Club to rot in its grave, as only six months after her band's split, she's out with her debut solo album, and as expected, it's a far slicker and sultry effort than her work with S Club.
The single "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex" is an acoustic guitar driven backbeat laden foot stomper, already popular on UK radio and with singles buyers, taking the song into the Top 5. But there's other songs on the album which back up the album's name - smooth songs like "Breathe In Breathe Out" and "Silk", more rockier songs like "Fools" and the obligatory ballad "Heaven Has To Wait", the latter proving how desceptively strong Rachel's voice is, given that she played second fiddle to Jo O'Meara in S Club.
Whilst she may not have as accomplished or all-round a voice like Jo, Rachel still holds her own over many female pop singers today, and the production on "Funky Dory" compliments her singing, resulting in a pop album which only a handful of others can beat this year.
on 28 September 2003
Coming out of the success of S Club, Rachel was thought of as the sexy one, but Jo was given all the singing credit. With "Funky Dory" Rachel proves that she too has a magnificent voice and is capable of carrying her own. After hearing this album, I am overly impressed with every song. Some may feel she is destined to fare poorly as did the solo Spice Girls, but Rachel will and should be around for a long time coming.
"Sweet Dreams My LA Ex" - everyone knows it...10/10
"Funky Dory" - although the title seems cheesy, this song is very awesome. It's different than any S Club song. 10/10
"Fools" - This song is good, but the chorus had to grow on me. It's kind of a humorous one. 9/10
"Breath In Breath Out" - This is similar to S Club...it isn't the strongest song on the album, but is still pretty good. 7/10
"Glide" - speechless. 10/10
"Heaven Has To Wait" - The only ballad, Rachel uses this to show her vocal strength. A really sweet song as well. 9/10
"Blue Afternoon" - Somewhat resembles Emma Bunton's "Maybe"...I like it. 8/10
"I Got The Money" - This is my least favorite song on the album. Rachel sings of the fun and happiness she and her man will have. "You got the time, I got the money. We'll have it all and just be happy." 7/10
"Little Secret" - The B-side to Sweet Dreams. 10/10
"Solid" - This one doesn't really stick with you. I actually can't remember it too well. 8/10
"Silk" - AWESOME SONG! WAY different than S Club. Very proud of her on this one...it's addictive. 10/10
"Sweet Dreams My LA Ex (Remix)" - As on the S Club albums, the remix is way too long and drawn out. It isn't as pointless as the "Alive" remix, but can still get tiring. 8/10
While each song is strong and brings something new to the table, my personal favorites are "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex", "Funky Dory", "Glide", "Little Secret", and "Silk". S Club fans will enjoy this album as well as new fans as Rachel appeals to a much wider audience. I suggest that EVERYONE buy this cd...it is definitely one to be proud to own.
on 19 June 2010
Funky Dory is an amazing album, and the best album of Rachel.

Some Girls:an incredible song, and is the best choice to open the album , an electronic-dance-pop song which makes you to get up and dance. 5/5

Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex: another amazing song,and my favorite rachel's song, it has an amazing guitar intro and a killer chorus and two amazing dance interludes. 5/5

Funky Dory: the second single of the album, it has a catchy combination of pop and a little of latin rhytms and very good lyrics. 5/5

Fools: It has a little kinda country rhytms, a cool and funny song. 4/5

Breathe In, Breathe On:it has a really cool R&B-Pop beat and a amazing lyrics, which talk about embrace the life, and live each single day giving your best. 5/5

Glide: a cool song but isn't one of my favorites, altough the beat is good. 3/5

Heaven Has To Wait: is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, beautfil lyrics, and amazing piano intro and a flawless vocal performance, definitely the best song in the album and a hit-single choice. 5/5 (If I can rate it more it would be 10/5 LOL!!!)

More More More: It has a very catchy disco beat, great song and perfect for dance all night long! 4/5

Blue Aternoon: a great mellow song, perfect for a sad or bored afternoon or nigth, it also has a flawless vocal performance!! 5/5

I Got The Money: It Has a great R&B beat, it's a funny song with an amazing lyrics. 5/5

Little Secret: A funny and catchy song with an incredible beat at the beginnig. 3.5/5

Solid: It has a good rhythm, and a prechorus which brings me back some bee gees' songs (I don't know why? lol). 4/5

Silk: another incredible song, it's the darkest song on the album, incredible beat, good lyrics and flawless vocal performance, a completely sexy song. 5/5

Some Girls Remix: a great 6-minutes song, very good song, perfect for a good dance at a party. 5/5

FUNKY DORY: 4.6/5!!!!
Definitely an amazing album, you should buy it if you are a pop lover (like me!!).