Format: DVD|Change
Price:£5.38+ £1.26 shipping

on 16 December 2010
To my mind, this film is the definitive version of the Dracula story. The cast, the music soundtrack and the visual style of the film are all excellent. Frank Langella is superb in the title role. However, this film, compared with other adaptations of the Dracula story, does not seem to get much recognition, which is a shame.

I would thoroughly recommend this film.
on 23 September 2014
one of the best, i watched it in the 1970s and found it to be really
good, frank langella is a very good actor and the film has a very good cast
one thing that stands out and really scared the c****p out of me
was when mina is discovered in the coal mine i jumped several feet
really awfull appearance well worth a look
on 22 September 2014
I have always enjoyed Badham's overblown Gothic romantic version of the Deane and Balderston stage play because it delivers mostly all it sets out to achieve, mood, music, romance, excitement, violence (but not the sex), and yet I have harboured a little negative ever since I saw it back in 1979... a small thing no less to my 54 year old sensibilities, but it illustrates quite vividly the ransacking of obscure classic works that are never given credit.

In 1977 I purchased a Corgi paperback entitled "The Rivals of Dracula" edited by Michel Parry and it includes a lost story from 1860 called "The Mysterious Stranger".

Badham's film-

Dracula (to Lucy) having invited her to his candlelit castle for dinner-
Dracula: "But I must warn you to take care."
Lucy: "Whatever for?"
Dracula: "If at any time my company does not please you, you will have only yourself to blame, for an acquaintance who seldom forces himself... but is difficult to be rid of." (Dracula can be forgiven his lazy English, in Stoker at least, for ending his sentence with a preposition, but screenwriter W. D. Richter cannot, and not only proves sloppy English but also plagiarism... or is that 'homage'?!)

Compare with the 1860 Anonymous story "The Mysterious Stranger"...

Franziska: "Well, since the moon is your sun, pray pay a frequent visit to our castle by the light of its rays. I think ... it will be very nice for us to be acquainted."
Knight Azzo: "If my company does not please you at any time, you will have only yourself to blame for an acquaintance with one who seldom forces himself, but is difficult to shake off."

There are so many similarities in "Dracula" to this almost forgotten Gothic gem that prove Stoker's inspiration, and for Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla" for that matter... just like when Argento ripped off De Quincey, yet it is almost sad that so often it is the case that there is no respectful acknowledgement for the source prose.

So the prose lives, and as far as I am aware, Badham's film is the only adaptation of Dracula to lift this dialogue.

That said, I look forward to the Bluray. It would be nice to think that the print being used was the original Technicolor one and not Badham's dull-toned 'muted' version that robs his romance of its lush vibrancy. Dreaming of course...
on 16 September 2015
This has been my favorite adaptation of Dracula since it came out -almost 40 years ago!
Frank Langella is a perfect combination of menace and sex appeal , his voice alone will seduce with its velvet magic..
Add to that a lush soundtrack by John Williams ( channeling Rózsa ) and you have the perfect package.
on 22 January 2015
When will studios learn! Directors frame the action to suit the aspect ratio of the film. In this case the movie was shot at 2.35:1 (Panavision) and not 16:9 as this version is. It is also drained of colour. Good version of the story, great performances. So why crop it?
on 13 March 2015
Brilliant classic version. One of the best IMO. Many complain about the desaturated colour. Yeh, it sucks I admit, but this is a situation easily fixed by upping your colour on your tv. Just don't forget to return it afterwards ;) fabulous movie!
on 28 March 2009
A great different kind of dracula movie. A fantastic Frank Langella as a
romantic, scary vampire.
The dvd itself has a terrible mono sound. So thats a bit of a negative but thats the only thing.
on 20 January 2015
Watched this many years ago on vhs in the 80s. now have it on blu ray, Frank Langella is up there with Chris Lee, playing Count Dracula.this film has never looked better. in 2.35 16.9 1080p.
on 24 May 2010
First saw this film on television many years ago and fell in love with the most charismatic dracula i have ever seen in my life. He frightened and enthralled me both at the same time. The chills that went up my spine were not only from knowing he was a very dangerous creature, but also because he was so adoringly romantic. Who would not offer their neck to this glorious vampire. A fine actor is Frank Langella, he was once a truly handsome and seductive young man.
on 17 March 2013
I saw this film some years ago and decided to currently buy it. Although some of it is a bit dated the main charachters are excellent and dracula is very seductive.