5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb
Published on 23 Sep 2004 by MR G THOMPSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Jarre fans!
Published on 22 Nov 2004 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, 23 Sep 2004
MR G THOMPSON (Elgin, Morayshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
I was a bit sceptical about buying this album at first due to the review given on Amazon. I threw caution to the wind and paid my money and I am glad I did. Being a huge Jarre fan (composing my own music electronicaly so he is a huge influence also) I was greeted with classics such as SOUVENIR OF CHINA and LAST RENDEZVOUS. If you have heard any of these tracks on the CD before, when you hear them on Aero you will know that Jarre has, should I say Re-composed them using new equipment, that's not to say the pieces aren't the same, they are very much the same, just new gear. I'm sure there is a Triton in there! It realy is a pleasure to listen to and the DVD with the eyes video gets your freinds asking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immerse & Enjoy, 17 Jan 2007
Andie B (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
Jarre has been a person most talked about in our music generation, with both good and not so good comments, however, taking away the principle that this is another compilation of hits, the album is very cleverly worked.

For anyone who has 'heard' of Jean or was simply interested, not only has his work been revolutionary in the Electronica/Ambient music field but this CD/DVD marks another step in music production. It is (well, was) one of the first times a listener can immerse in music and not just listen to it and tap their foot. Jean has always been an artist, not just in music composition, but in everyday life; producing free music shows with spectacular visual effects for example. In short, it is pretty much an agreeable fact that this CD/DVD combo is a milestone.

It is nice to hear re-workings of his previous classics, and also nice to hear songs most forget like Zoolookology (Zoolookologie), Equinoxe 3, Last Rendez-Vous (Ron's Piece) and so forth. This album gives any listener, new or a hardened Jarre fan, a new experiance in Music, and to find out what Jarre is all about - not just a musician, but an inventor, idealist, thinker and a guy who doesn't want to make a mass change of peoples concepts, but just to make them realise other potentials of music.

Take a listen (and a look) at the album, and if you are not moved on a sensual musical level, by putting on headphones or sitting at your TV with your cinema surround sound on, then you will never understand Jean Michel Jarre.

Music is designed to entertain us, make us smile or cry or feel emotions we never thought were possible. Music is a way for us humans to contact a side of us we didn't know existed, and Jarre knows this which is exactly why he is the kind of artist he is today.

I appreciate some have made reviews showing their dissapointment that "it's just another compilation", but the re-workings take the music to a whole new level, and we're not just talking about simply re-mixes and re-releases, but almost a different side of the tracks. Either more modern, more in-depth or completely flipsided but keeping the trademarks of the track.

The whole principle of this album was to give his tracks a new life, not simply new sales & new publicity, but the birth of his music now moving into 3D, giving his music and you the chance to explore.

It's a clever idea, Aerology is certainly an entertaining new piece on the album, Aerozone also has a clever warm and moody feel, Aero (even though it is almost a spin-off of Je Me Souviens [Metamorphoses, 2000]) is also very popular.

Jarre fan? You must get this.

Electronica fan? No one else has done an album in this way with his style.

Simply interested? It's entertaining, clever and it's hard to not say good things about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but could have been better, 28 Oct 2004
Mr. M. Randall (Wakefield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
Being a long time fan of Jarre, I found this album rather familiar listening. Without reading the CD cover, listening to the album the first time was a treat - trying to spot the subtle introductions to familiar pieces reworked into audio scene changes. It was fun to listen to, but I'm not convinced that this will be an album I'll cherish for long. Some of the tracks are below par - particularly when compared to some spirited performances on live albums such as Houston/Lyon and Destination Docklands. One of the audio transitions even features a tinny recording of a pervious concert - could this be Jarre reflecting on previous heights of achievement? This album is a somewhat stale re-presentation of previously release tracks - with the occaisional moment of auditory genius, such as the reworking of Oxygene 4. The new material is uninspired and hardly warrents buying this album. I would have forgone the additional DVD if some more original material had replaced it.
I find that some of albums improve with repeated listening, such as Chronology and Metamorphesis, but I think this one will be collecting dust on my CD shelf for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
Put this on, after you have switched your phone of and closed your curtains, and pulled the batteries outta the doorbell, and unplugged the house phone, after that is all done, turn the lights down low or off all together, stretch out on your sofa, or bed, close your eyes, and Relax, drift away, and just totally chill out.
Fantastic CD. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aero--Classic!!, 25 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
This album is amazing. It re-looks at some of Jarres' classic tracks such as Oxygene, Equinoxe but not at the parts you'd expect...is this such a bad thing? The remastered tracks sound amazing in 5.1 surround sound and this album is a must for any Jarre fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Aero Review - technically excellent but lacks innovation, 11 Oct 2004
TPW "Tim" (Oxfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
I have been a JMJ fan for many years, first introduced to the composer way in the early 80's back when my good friend Ben Sparrow's older brother had a vinyl LP of Oxygene crackling away on a delapidated record player....then, it's erie mixture of electronic synth noises and calmic effect contrasted well with the jumping needle and dark rural Herefordshire nights.
This album would not evoke such a similar mood, even though Equinox, Magnetic Fields and Oxygene tracks are included - re-mastering and digitising into 5.1 surround sound is fun but it misses that 'original Jarre magic'. There are too few new tracks - Aero and Aerology are superb (pity these are limited to two tracks) and although I do love to listen to the old Jarre tracks, I am desperate for him to now bring on a completely new album. I know that times have moved on, and I would not wish Jarre to 'mimic' albums gone by, but he would do well to re-view his music that made him unique and bring his dedicated fan base something different and less like the many amibient/chill out bands around. Do something different Jarre! This album is a fantastic compilation but that is all. I am waiting for Jarre to produce music like he used to - music that taps into your mood and penetrates deep into the listeners mind. I am waiting.....(like that fantastic 46 min track on 'Waiting for Cousteu' album!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Jarre fans!, 22 Nov 2004
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
Contrary to several other reviews, I would say this album is strictly for Jarre fans. I know I'm showing my age but it reminds me of those demo vinyl albums in the early days of stereo when you would amaze your pals with flies buzzing from the left speaker to the right or trains rumbing across the room. This album is all about effects and not music. If that's what you like then you will love it. If like me you like a good tune now and then I suggest you buy Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells 2003 which is incidentally a genuine DVD-Audio whereas this is a DVD-Video. Anne Parillaud's eyes are interesting for all of 5 minutes and then they and her mole become a distraction. You should not really need any video accompaniment to enjoy good music (although having said that the video extracts of Mike Oldfields concerts on TB 2003 are excellent!). So, my apologies to Jarre diehards but this is strictly for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aero - Anthology Exaggerated Re-worked Over-rated, 18 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
Being a fan for more years than I wish to remember and with the recent below-par output (Sessions 2000, Geometry of Love), Aero comes as somewhat of a further disappointment.
Anthology - this is a collection of Jarre's 'greatest tracks', with some questionable inclusions and some huge tracks overlooked (e.g. Equinoxe 5, Magnetic Fields 2, Chronologie 4, etc.) Maybe Jarre felt the tracks featured give some consistency to the flow of the album, which is probably true for the first two-thirds of it, until it loses it's way somewhat during the last third. The scenes that link tracks are a highlight; however these were produced by Joachim Garraud (Jarre's right hand man for Metamorphoses).
Exaggerated - greatly, recomposed note for note? The tracks have been re-worked (with Jarre's hand forced) and a number of Jarre's classics that have been included do not sound up-to-scratch (I let you decide which ones). As for the new tracks, they are nothing to write home about it, and yet again we have "Jarre the Environmentalist", with yet another track from the much under-rated (and superb) Metamorphoses, have you noticed it yet?
Redone - some of the tracks selected do not sound up-to scratch, with a poor choice of sounds (presets, and bad presets at that), and he seems to be obsessed to have effects for the 5.1 mix and it does distract from the listening experience. Listen to the original albums for how the tracks should sound, or even live concert recordings (pre-2000).
Over-rated - despite great sales, the album is very much over-rated. For Jarre to state this is the first 5.1 album, well he must not heard of The Altogether by Orbital. There are some good elements to Aero, but considering this is meant as both a compilation and a new experience, it disappoints considerably and could have been so much better in so many ways.
As for the DVD, there is no DVD-A track (despite assurances there would be) and the video content can be best described as minimalist. Fine for a cocktail party with cheese on sticks, but not something you can intently watch for over one hour.
Hence I can only give the album 3 stars, it is the best thing to see light of day since Metamorphoses, but it does not even come to close to Jarre's last studio album in terms of compositions, diversity and production level. I hope to be surprised in the positive sense when a new 'real' studio album is released in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great use of 5.1 Surround, 22 Sep 2004
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
This album is great stuff, not just for the Jarre fanatics, but also for people wanting to hear what the future of music listening is undoubtedly going to become.
It features a regular music CD along with a DVD which plays in your home theatre system.
The CD & DVD contain the same musical content, although the DVD is the main focus of this review. It is basically the result of Jean Michel Jarre re-recording some of his classic tracks in 5.1 surround sound. For the Jarre purist out there, the tracks are re-creations of the originals, using the same electronic sounds and effects of the original album pieces (give or take a few updated drum beats and added effects) and thankfully not total remixes.
Tracks included here are from his early albums, including Oxygene, Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, Souvenir of China, Zoolook along with 3 new tracks, all of which make maximum use of the 5.1 sound space.
Instead of the usual music DVDs in the past, in which the content is basically dressed-up audio-visual recordings of live concerts where you hear audience noise and some ambience of the concert behind you, this DVD has been recorded note-for-note in 5.1, placing each instrument and melody line at different positions around the listener which creates an effective illusion of actually being 'inside' the music.
Jarre uses surround sound to great effect, enveloping the listener inside a sonic landscape, and not just resorting to cheap surround tricks which was the case in the early days of stereo albums. Hearing Oxygene 4 swirling round your head really cannot be described without listening to it.
Along with the music on the DVD, there is a video 'track' which is eerily just the eyes of an actress recorded in high definition, reacting in response to her listening live to the DVD. I found this to be distracting from the overall effect, and ended up just turning my TV off and enjoying the music for what it was worth.
As I said earlier, you also get a CD version of the album, which is great when you don't have a home theatre system, or just want to listen in the car.
I ordered a disk in the US, without thinking about the usual region coding limits. Thankfully, the disk is region free and plays on my NTSC TV, even though the box says PAL.
Also, kudos go to Amazon.Co.uk for getting it to me here in the USA in just 3 DAYS!!!
5 out of 5!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best plus more....., 6 July 2005
Mr. Martin L. Vause "sweep1057" (North Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aero (Audio CD)
Even if you don't have 5.1 surround sound, home cinema and all that jazz, the actual 'Best of' stereo CD that comes with this 2 disc set more than justifies itself as worth buying. A brilliant compilation which reminds you just how superb JMJ's compositions are. Great pure stereo CD sound too.

Aero
Aero by Jean Michel Jarre (Audio CD - 2004)