5.0 out of 5 stars These are some top quality fun movies!!!
Published on 28 Oct 2004

Scoody Doo 2 just die from the start and maybe till the end I just stop and left the living and wet for a nice cup of tea
the first one was best it was fun actors just the perfect pick
Published 12 months ago by Mr. W. D. Ritcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars These are some top quality fun movies!!!, 28 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Scooby Doo Live Action Movie Collection : Scooby Doo / Scooby Doo 2 - Monsters Unleashed [2 Disc Box Set] [2002] [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
So there I was, waiting for the movies to start, I mean I was seeing Scooby Doo THE MOVIE! with sarah-michelle gellar!! Woo Hoo. And then it started (with a slight cheer from the audience)and I was pleased, VERY PLEASED , i mean the movie was exactly what i could have hoped for! While there were somethings that didn't quite please me, this was a damn good film! For me I liked the t.v. show, but wasn't the biggest fan, and i could see that this film could please both, the effects were good, had good acting a good storyline, and the end is just SOOOO GREAT a complete classic! But not everyone will like it. You have to relize it's a childrens film! And thats where I come to the second film, it waas much more for everyone, i sat there with my sister and I had lots of fun, an the second really does give you everything you wanted! And it shows it in both of the films succeses!! Both getting great reviews and doing brilliantly at the box-office! "Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" beat the "Passion Of the Christ" to the No.1 spot at the box office! So as you can probably tell I am definatly going to buy this box set. I was just waiting for it! And right now as Im writing this review I've changed it's rating from 4 stars to a 5.
P.S. But be warned cannot please all e.g. 16 year old boys etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars My kids love it!, 14 April 2010
Rowena (Bucks, England) - See all my reviews
I have a 5 and 2 year old, who already loved the Scooby Doo cartoons. They now love these movies even more. Very goofy, but great for kids. However, some of their little friends are scared, so be aware that the 'monsters' are live and could be deemed scary. Good thing with these movies is the monster scene is always followed immediately by 'goofball' action.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment, 15 July 2012
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was seriously dreading the first Scooby-Doo movie. What was conceivably a very, very bad idea turned out to be a surprisingly good film with a fair amount of comedy. Originally a Mike Myers vehicle (thank God THAT didn't work out), but then recast with I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream actors, the realization of Scooby-Doo as a CGI character interacting with live action actually works. I'd say it was a one in a million chance but Raja Gosnell managed to pull it off.

The most impressive transformation tho is not cartoon Scooby to CGI Scooby but Matthew Lillard's performance as Shaggy. No way would I have believed he could possibly take on the role of one of my most fave characters ever but he just seems to completely disappear and the spirit of Shaggy takes him over. He brings some real integrity to what is widely regarded as an artless family movie. Even Freddy Prinze Jr. seems to nail the voice and narcissism of Fred, and Sarah Michelle Gellar is quite good as Daphne. Though I was always more attracted to Velma as I really dig nerdy chicks. Linda Cardellini brings some true sex appeal to the role. I wish the never-seen lesbian kiss between her and Daphne never got cut out.

Of course the plot is the usual baloney but there is constant action and invention to keep even the most impatient viewer stuck on till the end. The gang go to a theme park resort called Spooky Island (actually an Australian resort) to solve the mystery of why the wild spring break kids are turning into well-mannered nerds. But not only are there guys in masks but there are some REAL spooks too. I would have liked Rowan Atkinson to have a bigger role as Emile Mondavarious but considering the twist (which comes as an amusing surprise) at the end, the plot doesn't really have room for it. It's good to have him in there though instead of a cast full of 20-somethings. But 99% of the comic genius comes Matthew Lillard.

The CGI has dated somewhat since its release. Scooby and the various demons don't look very photo-realistic anymore and it's a little bit distracting. I doubt the target audience will care.

An unfairly trashed and fun movie, but the sequel is better.

As a Scooby fan I may be a bit biased but how anybody can deny that Scooby-Doo 2 is just great entertainment is beyond my understanding. It ain't high are but it's loads of fun, and there are plenty of in-jokes for the wiser viewers. The movie is fairly mindless, otherwise it would lose its kid audience. but that doesn't mean there's no good humor or plot to it.

Granted, the plot is dumb (the gang go up against all the monsters from the first season of the TV show, only this time they're real). The manic set-pieces just bombard us, one after the other. Once again, there's not a moment of boredom, but there are enough quieter scenes with the Mystery Inc. gang. The main stars are, as usual, Shaggy and Scooby. Matthew Lillard is dead-on as Shaggy, so much so that he actually replaced Casey Kasem as his animated voice.

One moment that requires major suspension of disbelief is not any scene featuring sludge monsters or a cotton candy ghosts but a scene in which Velma utters 'I'm not hot'.

NOT HOT!!!???? WHAT??? She's a total babe, more so than Daphne. Every frame of her is a work of art as far as I am concerned.

The CGI effects this time round are thankfully superior to the trashy effects of the first film. It's a much better movie all round and will not fail to amuse anyone of any age.

The Blu Rays in this 2-disc set present each movie in 1.78:1 1080p with non-HD Dolby 5.1 sound and a decent amount of extras. The first film looks good, but the sequel looks much better. Both have bright, colorful cinematography though the low-res CGI of the first let it down overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scooby Doo Live Action Film Double Boxset, 21 Feb 2013
Angela "Ange" (Stanley, Co Durham...) - See all my reviews
Not the best films ever made but good enough for any Scooby Doo fans, including my 3yr old Son who loves these and the old and new cartoons
Great to put on DVD player for long car journeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for kids, 7 July 2009
Kate Bentley "Katieb" (Spain) - See all my reviews
For any child that has already watched the Scooby Doo cartoons, they will love this. Some of the humour is a bit adult for the really young kids, but there is nothing offensive other than a lot of toilet humour.
If your children like Scooby Doo - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Career defining performance by Freddie Prinze jr, 9 Mar 2009
E. Coolican "karajan lover" (london) - See all my reviews
A charming double bill if you can be young at heart. I have never seen a live action film of a long running cartoon series( which i thought was deeply mediocre) brought to life so resoluteley, and Shaggy was really a world class rendition..come on, you cynical middle aged guys and gals, it was!, and the films zip along nicely too, with few longeurs.Even scooby is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars good family fun, 8 May 2014
My little boy has watched the movies 4 times each movie so far and hes only had the dvds 2 days, very funny and great effects, not too scarey for my 4 year old .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for big kids too!, 1 May 2014
Nice boxset at a great price.Kept all my kids happy through Easter ,ranging from ages10 to 22! Great family fun for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Scooby Doo fans., 24 Mar 2014
G. J. Cullen "gary-man" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my daughter as she absolutely loves Scooby Doo and she is certainly not disappointed. Neither am I.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well the first one was best all the right picks for all the actors in the movie, 28 Nov 2013
Mr. W. D. Ritcher "willrage" (Belgium) - See all my reviews