4.0 out of 5 stars A Thoughtful Anthology of Mitchell's Last Twenty Years
Several things you need to know upfront. There are no new songs here although all of them have been remastered, and they only include material from the eighties on.
Published on 4 Sep 2004 by Juan Mobili

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what you expect
Published on 1 Sep 2004 by Mr. S. Haigh

4.0 out of 5 stars A Thoughtful Anthology of Mitchell's Last Twenty Years, 4 Sep 2004
Juan Mobili (Valley Cottage, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] (Audio CD)
This is a thematic anthology, songs Joni felt belong together because each of them address the world we live in, at least the way she's seen it. Once you know this, the album gains a certain poignancy and cohesion that most collections or "greatest hits" albums do not achieve.
At the same time, it forces the choices to include songs you may not regard among her greatest compositions, and excludes some stunning examples of her work.
Among the gems, I count "Reocurring Dream," "Magdalene Laundries," "Slouching Towards Bethlehem" and "Passion Play," to name a few but not to imply they are the only ones. In the other hand, there are some song which I'd considered second row -and they are "second row" only because Joni's output, through all these years, has been so phenomenal- such as "Dog Eat Dog" or "Lakota."
Add to this that the digipak presentation here is as exquisite as anything Mitchell has ever released in the past, including some great reproductions of Joni's paintings -which may not be masterpieces in your book but must be recognized as the work of a serious and talented artist.
If you do not own these songs, this is a must; if you are a completist, you already bought it. If you do not belong to either group, you may at least gather together these songs and play them. Mitchell deserves at least that, together these songs articulate the vision of a singer and songwriter who, certainly in my case, has helped me to understand this beautiful and mad and, at times cruel, world of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni takes on the world - and wins (comfortably), 4 April 2006
This review is from: Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] (Audio CD)
The theme of this album is Joni stating the world is not a nice world and there are a mass of wrongs which need to be put right.
There are no new songs and there are no new versions of old songs - just remasters of previously released tracks from albums made in the 80s and 90s - but, boy what albums! They include one from the wonderful "Taming The Tiger" and a few from the Grammy-award winning "Turbulent Indigo", to name but two. All 16 tracks are absolute gems. Personal favourites are "The Magdelene Laundries" (recently covered beautifully by Christy Moore), "The Beat Of Black Wings", "The Three Great Stimulants" and "No Apologies".
You may want to have these tracks again and they come in a new and very beautifully put together digi-pack, so I strongly recommend you to buy this. The fact is you are almost certainly not going to get any new Joni material, unless I've been reading the wrong information, is another reason, And, if the record company makes a few quid/bucks into the bargain, I can live with it.
She is just about the most influential singer-songwriter ever and does everything perfectly on these selections, from the writing to the instrumentation, to the production. Even when she is dishing out messages, you should pay attention. The other thing to say is that in the statements she makes, I think she is absolutely right.
I can't think of many better compilations that have been released, so do yourself a favour - go and buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what you expect, 1 Sep 2004
Mr. S. Haigh "cd addict" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] (Audio CD)
If, like me, you were expecting this to be another revamping of Joni's songs a la Travelogue and Both Sides Now, where she puts her slant of maturity and wisdom on songs we all know an love - then think again. This is simply a collection of previous recordings of songs that we've all heard before, brought together in new packaging to make the record companies some more money. Too cynical? When not that long ago we had Hits and Misses, and it looks like we can expect another Best Of in 2 weeks, I think not! That said, if you're a fan, the packaging contains more of Joni's artwork which is always good to see. Joni, isn't it about time you gave us something new!

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's One I Made Earlier..., 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] (Audio CD)
I've given this 5 stars as I love both Joni and these songs, but as I already have all of them on their original CDs I created my own version of this album as a playlist on my iPod.
Saved myself some money and saved a few natural resources; I'm sure Joni would approve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] (Audio CD)
Classic stuff. The woman's a genius

5.0 out of 5 stars Need I say more, 30 April 2005
B. J. du Cille (West Bromwich, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] (Audio CD)
This is Joni Mitchell and just that fact ought to tell anyone that they are in for a treat. Quality songs,arragements,playing and lyrics.She is about the most important and influential songwriter of the last and this century. She is uncompromising and truly daring, a real artist in every sense of the word. Ask anyone who is producing good music today. Buy this and learn

Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import]
Beginning Of Survival, The [Us Import] by Joni Mitchell (Audio CD - 2004)