5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious blend, 8 Dec 2004
J. Booth (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
This CD is one of those rare releases that sets your hairs on end. From the first playing I was hooked and still, several plays later, I can say it is for me the best new thing I've heard this year. Nothing complicated here, indeed the accompaniment is commendably restrained - just gorgeous harmonies from three voices that blend supremely well. These three Canadian lasses provide a mixture of covers, both traditional and contemporary, and also supply some well-crafted originals - the highlight for me was "Come All You Sailors", though every track could be a contender for "best".
They are touring the UK in January 2005 - check out their gig list and catch them if you can. This time they'll be in smallish intimate venues where you can get close; next time they could be distant specks on a large stage. I suspect they could end up bigger than the Be Good Tanyas, possibly even to the heights of the Dixie Chicks.
Faultless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowingly Beautiful, 21 Nov 2005
Dan Craggs (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
I first heard the Jennys on Radio 2, and when 'One Voice' came on I, no joke, jumped out of bed to scribble down some lyrics and find out who it was. I eventually found that 'One Voice', along with two others were available on the Wailin' Jennys' web site. All three were incredible songs, and I was sure the other songs here couldn't match that standard. But boy was I wrong.
From start to finish, every single second of every single song on this album is a perfect blend of incredible tunes, perfected mixing, and of course the spine-tingling, ear-warming, delightfully atmospheric elegant harmonies that these three ladies produce. Heck, I think even my speakers enjoyed the songs.
I'd pick a favourite, but I can't. All I will say is that if you buy just one album, buy this one. You will NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw-droppingly bone-liquifying wonderful, 5 May 2005
Damon Reynolds "Damon" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
Impossible to gush enough about this vitually unknown little album. Heard a couple tracks off it on Radio Paradise and the rest just blew me away. The best album I've bought in a year (out of 50 or so). Alison Krauss meets Hem with a hint of Sarah McLachlan. One Voice and Arlington are stand out tracks but it is really filler free.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new chicks, 14 Feb 2005
Peter Craig (Bedford United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
Anybody who likes the Dixie Chicks should give this group a listen. You will not be disappointed. This group provide a superb range of vocals, harmonies and musicianship that puts the industry made music to shame. Long live real talent - the Jenny's have it in abundance

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD., 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
This is a great CD. I was introduced to this group when we were Canada and have loved them ever since. Its quite an individual sound that combines some modern aspects of Canadian music with their folk origins. The voices have great clarity and their tones can go from gentle and thought provoking to rousing and jaunty! A great album for any one wanting an introduction to Canadian folk music of the twenty first century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary beauty, 21 Aug 2006
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
Some of the songs here are near-perfect. Nicky's lyrics on Arlington - especially the verse about the Sun's nightly loneliness - leave me literally speechless. Ditto Ruth's gorgeous One Voice. So simple, so clever, so touching. The Jennys are extraordinarily beautiful on stage and their recorded work, while unable to match the dynamic range of live performance, is still stunning. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Music, 28 July 2013
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
I simply can stop listening to 40 Days. A truly excellent album. It follows on from recently discovering the brilliant Ruth Moody.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wailin' Jennys close harmony, 16 April 2013
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
Their singing can't be beaten really. Top of the bill close harmony singers,
these three ladies. Sometimes folky, sometimes bluesy, always beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old favourite!, 2 April 2013
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
This is my second copy of this CD - I wore the first one out (almost literally!). Just love it - beautiful and melodic with fantastic harmonies :)

4.0 out of 5 stars great easy listening, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: 40 Days (Audio CD)
Had heard the Wailin' Jennys on a compilation album that I've had for ages and wanted to hear more. I love the harmonious sounds and story telling lyrics - I wasn't disappointed. May try a different album when I've played this more.

40 Days
40 Days by The Wailin' Jennys (Audio CD - 2004)