on 5 October 2004
I ordered this record on the basis of several reviews, of which all compared M83 favourably to Air. Having listened to the album, I have to fudamentally disagree with that comparison.
'DC, RS & LG' consists of 'songs' which start with a few repeated two finger chords and a bit of processed voice then degenerate into what I can only describe as noise. At one point I went to check if my Windows installation disc had somehow got into my CD player.
Almost the whole thing sounds like a repeating 10-second loop taken from an early Tangerine Dream album. You can almost forgive TD for producing those albums in the 70's, as it took a day's mucking about with patch cords and basic analogue synths just to make a 'beep' sound. No such excuses for today's digital boys, I'm afraid.
I suppose I'm upset because I've been hoodwinked into buying something that I would never have considered normally. I suppose I should have listened to all the samples :(
Sum up: If you like Air, or music with melody, character and 'listenability' then DON'T buy this album. If you like the sound of what I'm describing above, then I suggest you save money by buying one of M83's singles and play it 11 times in a row.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 23 April 2005
bought this album based on the 5star reviews it's been getting. i have over 800 cd's in my collection to date. this is one i will be selling. it's like one long noise. as for those who say it sounds like my bloddy valentine/air/other legends. get your ears tested. it's absolute dribble. a deaf person could write better. POINT: the second album is (slightly) better.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again