Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2009
I bought this for my 3-year-old out of nostalgia, as I loved my vinyl 'Hans Christian Andersen' as a kid. My little boy loves it and asks for it over and over again - now he knows all the words to 'The Ugly Duckling' and sings along in the car - very cute!
A couple of the later tracks are stinkers, I imagine from Danny Kaye's wilderness years, but on the whole this is a pleasant listen. Some of the numbers are very very 50s and have a kind of Beverley Sisters (or do I mean Andrews Sisters?) backing group. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd take Danny Kaye's 'Woody Woodpecker' over Mel Blanc's any day!
on 2 September 2011
Totally bored with bland nursery rhymes in the car? Then buy this. Also, buy the film so your kids can learn the actions to Thumbelina et al. My 3 year old loves singing along to this and it's so refreshing to hear the talent of Danny Kaye singing instead of some backing singers sounding bored to a rubbish track of something like wheels on the bus!

The songs might be 50 years old - but they're all classics. This soundtrack was definitely money well spent, especially at such a bargain price from Amazon.
on 4 September 2009
Thought you might like to have a review from the USA.

Like the previous reviewer, I had the record version of this recording. It was the favorite recording of both my kids (now 38 and 45-years-old!), especially the "Tubby the Tuba" track.

A couple of years ago, I tried to purchase a CD version of this recording for my granddaughter here, but could not find it. I did find it on the Amazon.co.uk website and ordered from there. My granddaughter says the recording is also one of her favorites and she knows all the songs.
on 23 December 2011
This CD has bought back so many special childhood memories for me especially of my Dad who introduced me to wonderful world of Danny Kaye/Hans Christian Andersen and now my three year old grandaughter loves it as well. I close my eyes to listen to 'Tubby the Tuba' and am immediately transported back to back to being a youngster bought up with these magical, musicals from long ago. Well worth the money.
on 6 January 2010
Songs from the film plus others - lots of hummable tunes plus a few fun children's classics.
on 11 February 2011
Danny Kaye Sings Hans Christian Anderson and other Favourites, the title say's it all. All the songs from his films that I remember seeing a long time ago. The songs brought back quite a few memories to me and they were a joy to listen to all over again'
on 23 January 2015
Nice cd that my 6 year old seems to love. I mainly got it for the ugly duckling song as he had to do a show and tell about an original fairy tale. He took his cd to school and all the children enjoyed it. He loves some of the other songs on it too and I also find it nice to listen to. There are a couple which we are not so keen on but that is just our personal choice. Good value for money and quick delivery.
on 16 September 2010
This so nice to recapture my childhood and my husband I caught sing along also the grandchildren like itand learning new songs.
on 18 April 2012
We bought this for one of our grandchildren - its also a memory to people of "a certain generation".
We took the first copy we bought,to Australia for two of our grandchildren out there (needless to say our daughter and son-in-law loved it -memories of a time gone by.
Great value -it arrived extremely quickly.
I respect Amazon and use them regularly.
on 2 November 2012
As a young person growing up in the 1950's, I fondly remember the stories of Hans Christian Andersen and the singing of the very talented Danny Kaye. Now with a 3 yr old grandson and a 1 yr old granddaughter, I wanted them to be introduced to 'genuine' literary and musical excellence that lasts the test of time. I was not disappointed!