5.0 out of 5 stars Donnie Darko
A brilliantly bizzare film that will leave you in a state of shock while you try to get your head around what just happened. It will challenge your perceptions of your own reality and provide a talking point aswell. The appearance of Frank, a six foot tall time travelling talking rabbit who foretells the end of the world within five minutes of the start sets the tone and...
Published on 11 Feb. 2003 by A. Kyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray Review
I already owned the theatrical and director's cuts on seperate dvds but being such a fan of the film I decided to splash out on the blu-ray. Both cuts are included here on two seperate discs and all the extras from both previous dvd releases are included here but there are no blu-ray exclusives. The original has the standard 2.0 stereo track, and the sound isn't...
Published on 19 Dec. 2010 by Bug DeLug

‹ Previous | 1 2 338 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 22 May 2003
This review is from: Donnie Darko [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
A fantastic movie that gets better every time you watch it. Jake Gyllenhaal is tremendous, a wonderful and well researched peformance of a disturbed teenager which is never unbelievable . A brilliant cast and a fantastic script ,just when you think you got it figured out it twists. It takes you through shock, laughter and sadness. There is no black and white with this movie, it means what ever you feel its saying. And it seems in no way odd that he's talking to a man in a bunny suit! You must watch this movie.... more than once. the extra features are great to and great pages. a well put together dvd for a directors first especially as it was such a badly publisised movie

4.0 out of 5 stars There IS improvement to be had here..., 11 Aug. 2011
Yes, the Blu-Ray looks less than spectacular, but this is the way the film looks. There is nothing wrong with the transfer. Compared with the PAL DVD's I own, the big pluses for me are the lossless audio and no more PAL speed up, so the soundtrack now sounds the way it was intended. I also think that the Blu-Ray looks marginally better with slightly less "noise" than it's DVD counterpart. I'm absolutely happy with this purchase and recommend this set to any serious fans of the film, even if you own the DVD/'s. Just don't expect a reference quality 1080p presentation, because the raw materials to make it such do not exist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Pooka, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Donnie Darko [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
This challenging and though provoking film needs to be seen more than once to really appreciate it. It has many themes and ideas, from teenage angst, to first love, mental illness and theories of time travel. Some of the motifs come straight out of mythology, for example the old witch-like madwoman ho lives as a recluse turning out to be a scientific genius who authors the the book Donnie Darko uses as a guide through the " tangent dimension" he is in. The character of Frank dressed as a giant and mysterious rabbit, is no less than a version of the Pooka reminiscent of a 1940s film " Harvey" starring James Stewart, a mischievious spirit who takes the form of a giant rabbit. I could not begin to describe the science nor would I want to ruin things for a potential viewer by revealing the end. But I will say that the film is atmospheric, and frightening in places. It is also remorselessly sad with a genuinely tragic ending. Extemely well acted by the entire caste with great cameos by Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze. I would highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys involving themselves intellectually as well as enjoying the sensation of viewing good film

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant cinema, 3 July 2007
S. Hayes "sdh" (sdh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Donnie Darko - Director's Cut (Two Disc Set) [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
If you like films that make you think (Memento,being john malcovich) you'll love Donnie Darko.

The acting matches the storyline in a movie you can't help but be fascinated by.you don't have to be a genious to like this movie as even if you don't understand it you'll want to...and you'll love it.

i don't use words like classic...unless i'm talking about giants of cinema like scarface..clockwork orange or full metal jacket... but i would almost go as far to say as much about donnie darko. buy it;you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't ask, Just watch!, 8 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Donnie Darko [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I watched thisfilm last night, and i'm still buzzing from it. I still can't get over how amazingly everything fits together. Not one part of the film is overlooked. From the beginning its grips you and doesn't let go until the very end. You find yourself laughing when something clicks because it is so clever. The last time a filmgripped me this much was "The Usual Suspects" (1995). If you're going to watch this film though, there's no point asking questions. If somebody tells you anything, it will only ruin it. Expect nothing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this World, 29 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Donnie Darko [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
My boss saw this film at the cinema, raved on and on about it, then gave me the DVD for Christmas! She knows I am not a horror fan and, for the opening two thirds of my first viewing, I cursed her loudly everytime I jumped out of my skin when 'Frank' appeared. Then, I watched the final third without turning away at all and was enraptured. I'm so glad it wasn't a video so that I didn't have to sit through a rewind!
Is it so deep that you have to discuss it with your intelectual friends? Is there some hidden meaning? Or, is it just a film about a disturbed boy with delusions? Who cares.......it's a great watch, everbody has their own opinions about it so that you can have a good chat. It's a film that the boys and girls can watch together...............and it won't end up gathering dust in your film collection!
For any other 'girlies' (like me), it's really not scary when 'Frank' pops up and if you hide behind the cushions you'll miss a damned good film!
One more thing, the soundtrack is amazing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original? No, just different., 5 Oct. 2004
Love Love Love this film. I never saw the original at the cinema but was lucky enough to see it twice in London with the directors cut last month. I like the song changes (in particular the INXS track at the start which works much better than Echo and the Bunneymen) and the addition of the deleted scenes, but did not like the new graphics overlaying the time portal sequence. That was until I watched the directors cut on DVD last night with the new Commentary by director Richard Kelly and his friend fellow director Kevin Smith. He talks about the reasons for the graphics which at the same time 100% gives his opinion of who is doing all the manipulating. I'm not going to say who that person is, as that would spoil it for you. But it works.
If you are a fan of the original, buy this also as it stands up on it's own well enough. If you have never watched this movie, then you can't call yourself a movie fan! It's must see. Best film of 2001 by far and just about the best film ever for me

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath Of Fresh Air In A Smoke Filled World, 3 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Donnie Darko [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I Have a confession to make, I Gave up watching tv about 4 months ago.. i just couldnt stand the 'dumbing down' and all the concited , boring drivel. Well , without Tv i started to watch alot more movies , and to my horror i found that film was going the same way fast, films like ' scary movie ' and the murdering of classics such as the remake of ' the ring '. I Felt dissilusiond, and after being forced to sit thgough 'american pie three' without even breaking a smile i went on a quest to find somthing , i didnt know what i was looking for.. But I found it: Donnie Darko! This Is WITHOUT A DOUBT the best film i have ever seen, i find myself waking up in the middle of the night and realising another subtlty in the plot... its truly amazing. Im now on a quest to find more amzazing, thought provoking, and wonderfully beutiful films like this..
( I Apologise For My Terrible Spelling)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films I have ever watched!, 19 May 2003
This review is from: Donnie Darko [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
This is one of those films when after first viewing you start to wonder what all of the fuss was about but when the end titles start to roll and you turn the t.v. off you actually begin to think how clever the film was. I'm not saying that this is a substandard movie, far from it but the real impact of the film can clearly be seen after first viewing.
The character who plays Donnie is a superb actor and the madness of the film is captured in his crazy expression throughout the film. "Donnie Darko" is funny in places and is cleverly put together, the soundtrack is the finest score for a film I have heard in ages. This is definitely one to own and will go down in history as a cult classic. Clever, fantastic, imaginative, bold, funny, thought provoking are just a few words I would use to describe this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Film, buy it now!, 17 Jun. 2003
A. Calder (Twickenham, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Donnie Darko [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I had heard this was a good film and my sister had watched it and I asked what is it like, she replied 'weird'. When I started watching it I was hooked after the first 10 minutes. The 80's music is great, the acting is suburb and the way it is filmed left me speachless! When I had finished watching it I had to think about what had gone on. I came to my own conclusion and decided to watch it again the following weekend, I loved it even more. I have had the DVD for a month and have watched it 5 times! I have spoken to people who have seen the film and they all love it. I have a list of top 5 DVD's that I watch when I'm in the mood, Donnie Darko is now my number 1 film. I love this film for so many reasons, very similar to a David Lynch film but I have to say much better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 338 | Next ›