on 26 February 2006
I have just completed my first load of ironing with my new Morphy Richards Comfi grip precise control (Model No. 40715) and I have to report that it was not a satisfactory experience.The iron is smart and comfortable to use but had several disappointing features.
1. The instruction leaflet recommends that you flush through a full tank of water before starting ironing or else 'some dripping' may occur. In fact, the iron contained horrid brown water which required several flushing sessions before it ceased marking garments so that they had to be washed again.
2. The auto shut-off indicator appears to be erratic. Sometimes it was activated whilst I was actually ironing or immediately I placed the iron in its heel. On the other hand, when I left the iron on its heel for well over the 8 minutes recommended, the iron did not shut off. At other times it worked perfectly.
3. Like many ironing boards, mine has a cradle at the end of the board which holds the iron safely at a 45 degree angle. This, however, activates the 30 second shut off feature which should only be activated when the iron is flat. This means that I cannot return the iron to its cradle whilst ironing but have to stand it on its heel on the ironing board; a much less stable option.
4. The iron appears unusually cool. I was able to iron garments where the care label recommended the nylon/silk setting (one dot) on the cotton setting (three dots). On the other hand, I had great difficulty ironing a linen top properly.
5. It is quite difficult snap shut the cover on the filling hole.
6. The temperature is indicated with a blue light. This cannot be seen if you are ironing in the sunshine.
7. There is no flexibility over the temperature. The design of the display means that you can only switch between one, two, three dots or max. On irons where the temperature is selected by turning a dial, it is possible to select temperatures between these gradations.
8. It is not possible to fill the iron whilst it is standing on its heel. The iron has to be flat or held at about a 45 degree angle.
In view of the very positive recommendations that I had read elsewhere, including that of the Good Housekeeping Institute, I found my experience to be surprising.
on 17 November 2006
I was ironing the other day with my lovely Braun Iron and was sad when it kept tripping the electrics and had I to make a decision to buy a new iron. (I would buy another Braun Iron at the drop of a hat but they are tricky to get hold of)Anyway, I ploughed through the many models of irons on offer and finally chose the MR Confi Grip. I was excited about the auto shut off function as any job I do around the house is often cut short with the word `MUM! can you come and help me` from somewhere around the house so thought that this would would be a fab feature. Good points = huge water tank, long cable to get to end of ironing board. Bad points = It is sooo heavy even without the water, the audible alert to let you know it is at optimum temperature is quite annoying after a while, not a very pointy end to get into those nooks on some items of clothing. All in all really uncomfortable to use. Please Braun, bring back your lovely irons.