Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 September 2007
This was the first "rock album" I ever bought in early 1971. I obviously still have the vinyl copy...actually I've just dug it out to look at it whilst writing this...the CD enables a casual listen in the car, at work or loaded on to the absurdly tiny 20gb music thingy my son gave me.

Each track is an exercise in individual musicial work of the highest order by a band which had yet to peak as it introduced Dave Clempson and Chris Farlowe to an eager fan base.

Sadly only 'Colosseum Live' was to come for an overly long period of time...what this band might have achieved, had they avoided piques, is anyone's guess.

To see them now is to realise that the peak was achieved. Don't believe me...watch the 1994 Reunion DVD, see them live and get the bug.
Having bought this because I like Chris Farlowe, I was quite stunned. A superb album, proto 'prog rock', but avoiding all the self indulgent excesses of that genre. It's got everything, superb, complex rhythm and melody, meaningful lyrics and extended cuts (which never bore).

There are a mix of styles here, blues and jazz mixed with rock and a hint of soul. It works though.

Would happily recommend this to anyone who is wiling to listen to something a little ouside of the usual boxes pop music seems to fall into.
on 9 October 2013
There were a lot of excellent jazz-rock / rock-jazz / jazz fusion groups on the scene around this time - the Keef Hartley Band, Soft Machine, Weather Report, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever... - but Jon Hiseman's Colosseum were one of the very best, and they aren't sufficiently recognised as such. I admit to some sentimental nostalgia here, as 'DoT' was the first vinyl album I ever bought, in late 1970. I've just listened to it again on CD for the first time in many decades, and it's as excellent as when I first heard it all those years back. Hiseman should be spoken of in the same bracket as Tony Williams and Billy Cobham, but for some unknown reason never seems to be. And this version of the band - Hiseman, Farlow, Greenslade, Clempson, Heckstall-Smith - was quite outstanding. There are some wonderful tracks on this album, but I still think the title track ('DoT') just about shaves it. Do give this album a chance if you've not heard Colosseum before - or of course you can savour the legendary, incomparable 'Valentine Suite'.
Richard House
on 28 February 2014
You see, my father liked Jazz. Well, no-one's perfect, I suppose. I was brought up listening to Dave Brubeck, Ornette Coleman et al, so, of course, I hated them with a vengeance. For me it was The Beatles, The Stones - good old fashioned pop music. However, one of the grown-up lads who lived across the road (he must have been 16!) loaned my father a copy of 'Daughter of Time' by Colosseum. We sat down to listen and almost before the first track had started, he hated it. He talked all the way through it. 'Call this music?' he said. At this time I didn't think much of it either, hating anything 'jazzy'. However, after it had finished playing I took it to my room and listened on my headphones. It was a revelation, and by the time it had reached 'The Daughter of Time' (Track 4) I was hooked.

Here was a band of Musicians - with a capital letter. Not your 3-chord, guitar strumming pretty boys, nor a rhythm section that simply kept time, these were MUSICIANS. Every note, every phrase was exactly where it was meant to be. Every change of chord or time signature added to the overall sound. The fusion of jazz, blues, and what we now know as prog-rock (although it was then in its infancy) made something greater than them all.

It seemed as if the fusion of all these styles and musicians brought out the best in them all. I had heard Chris Farlowe on the 'Out Of Time' single' (1966?) but here his voice moved into another league. We had all heard Jimi Hendrix contort his guitar sound, but here Dave Clemson made his guitar sing - the last minute or so of the title track is amongst the greatest pieces of guitar playing you are likely to hear, it's tone and dynamics are similar to those Mike Oldfield used, especially in 'Ommadawn'. Dick Heckstall-Smith, playing two instruments at the same time sounds like an orchestra by himself.. Finally, 'Downhill and Shadows' is amongst the greatest of blues songs, but far removed from the old Mississippi Delta.

Times have moved on, and the apostrophe hating, goldfish attention-span youth of today will dismiss this - what, it's more than three minutes - Boring! However, do yourself a favour and listen to this and see just what could be done without all of today's studio gimmicks. It's wonderful. Buy it!
on 30 July 2013
If you buy this album you already have (or will definitely need) its sisters - Those Who Are About To Die Salute You, Valentyne Suite and the live double album. They form a sort of 'prog' rock prospectus on behalf of the crossover movement from acoustic jazz to electric rock, from improvisational combo to score-driven concept sequences. They were a great live band in those early days and every time I hear one of their discs Ian image of Dick Heckstall-Smith playing two brass instruments at once floats into my mind. Their best music was actually with Neil Ardley and the scratch New Jazz Orchestra of which there is only one recording, A CD titled Camden 70. I saw them all play what was the Lanchester Polytechnic in Coventry back in the day and they were phenomenal. This was the first time I had ever seen a proper PA and indeed the Orchestra pioneered this new idea of amplification with all instruments going through a mixing desk, amplaifier and loudspeaker stacks instead of each player having his or her own instrument amplifier.
on 17 March 2015
Always loved this album & still do. Contrary to a few reviews on here I still think it stands up & considering the year it was recorded still sounds fantastic. Some people forget that time-wise Colosseum were right at the forefront of the jazz rock thing along with BS&T, Chicago etc & they get very little credit for it. Its not as jazzy as Miles' Bitches Brew but it straddles Jazz Rock & what would become Prog Rock really nicely, retaining that English quality that made British music so great at the time. Chris Farlowe is stupendous as is the vastly underrated Clem Clempson. I've always preferred this to Valentine Suite but I know i'm in the minority on that one, must be just a taste thing. I ought to take one star off for the drum solo which if i'm honest is far too long for a recording but hell...its my review & I love the rest so much i'm keeping that fifth star on. I do like drum solos live but good though Hiseman is, its stretching it to expect our attention to be held on a solo that long for too many plays, it would've been far punchier to have had a couple of nice tight memorable drum breaks than the long one here. Songs are great, playing's great & its a piece of history..love it.
on 16 July 2010
Bought on impulse. Oh dear how the years have passed. Not quite as I remembered. Amazon as ever was on the ball.
on 21 December 2014
Surely the best "Jazz-Rock" band ever, great to see their back catalogue still available. Still touring as well! Would recommend anyone who likes this form of music to try and catch them.
on 30 December 2014
Probably the greatest of Colosseum many fine albums. All players at peak performance. With the addition of the bonus material it moves from excellent to superb. Can I give it 6 stars???
on 7 June 2015
Not up to 'Those About To Die Salute You' but is well worth owning.