4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget stand
I wanted this to be able to adjust my bike's gears easily and safely. First impressions were that it felt a little flimsy, and there were no assembly instructions, just a small diagram. It was fairly easy to figure out anyway (you can probably tell how it fits together by looking at the picture!), and I had it assembled in a few minutes.

Next step was figuring...
Published on 31 May 2011 by M@rtin

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product don't buy this
This is a useless bike repair stand. Don't waste your money on this. It's far too small to be of any use.
Published on 18 Sept. 2011 by zimulle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good budget stand, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)

Next step was figuring how to use it - this is my first bike stand so I wasn't sure exactly how to place the bike on it! I figured it out easily enough, but again some instructions would have been nice for noobs like me! Simply lift the back end of the bike so that the chain stay (I just had to look that up!) is on the bottom part, and the seat stay is hooked at the top. You can adjust the bottom bracket for height so it will fit a variety of bikes, although I'm guessing it wouldn't work for full suspension models?

Anyway, once mounted, my bike feels secure and doesn't wobble. I was able to adjust my gears easily and test them no problem. When not being used as a work stand, this is stable enough to use a a storage stand. It may not be expensive, or as "heavy duty" as the name suggests, but it does the job perfectly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product don't buy this, 18 Sept. 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Not heavy duty, 7 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
If this is 'heavy duty' then I would hate to see what the alternatives are like. It is not very stable - perhaps the base could be a bit heavier. Other than that it is OK and sort of useable, with care, but it is difficult to see why it is more expensive than the equivalent not 'heavy duty' competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but don't expect a RR for the price of a mini, 2 July 2011
P. L. Middleton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
Ordered three days ago and arrived this morning. Took me four minutes to put it together and make sure it fitted my bike (an old steel mountain bike with rack and mudguards, so as heavy as they come). Took another minute to tighted the few bolts (the only tools you'll need are sizes 13 and 14 spanners, or an adjustable wrench - why didn't they make the nuts the same size?).

It supported my bike nicely while I worked on the gears (a tricky job without a stand). While I wouldn't pick it out in a line up as heavy duty, it does the job. Unless you put it on a bench (which I wouldn't do), you'll still need to bend down to work on your bike, but I didn't find this as a problem.

No instructions, but not difficult to work out. A) Fit bicycle support bracket before fitting the feet - only one way the support bracket can be fitted, look out for the holes in the side of the upright into which the adjustable screw fits. B) make sure the longer parts of the 'feet' are on the same side as the support bracket, and C) try the bike on the stand, on the opposite side from the gears, the rear wheel horizontal cross bar slots into the support bracket (make sure it is at the right height and then tightedn it), while the top 'finger' captures the diagonal cross bar around where the break pads would be (unless you have disc brakes!).

Great value for money compared to the price of the competing products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
Awful product. Definitely not heavy duty. The stand would not support my bike correctly, not only that but it has scratched my frame !! I'm very annoyed with this cheap flimsy product. Avoid at all costs !!!

1.0 out of 5 stars For teeny tiny bikes!, 20 April 2011
Hi
This "heavy-duty" work stand may be heavy duty but its not going to lift your bike any distance of the ground unless you set it on a work bench...which I tried, not very successfully. I attempted to work on my child's bike and due to its double suspension odd shaped frame I was at a bit of a loss as to how the stand might hold it. I gave up and just turned the bike upside down and worked on it as normal. Having used the blessed thing I thought that I wouldn't send it back but would see if i could adapt it. Well I built a wooden stand that stops at waist height and removed the feet of the stand and screwed the upright to the top of the stand. It now works!
As it is the stand is three feet too short and overbalances. I would not recommend it, unless you're a joiner or metal worker in which case you probably have built your own anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for maintenance, 1 Jun. 2011
M. Shepherd (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
Considering other more professional bike stands can be from £50 to well into the hundreds, this is a sturdy, simple and useful bit if kit for not much. Its metal with a soft coated hook and clamp which works by lifting the back wheel to allow you to run the pedals with both hands free. Its not quite as adjustable as more expensive 'pro' repair stands so its best to pull up a chair but that's fine with me. If you cycle regularly then frequent maintencne of gears and brakes will keep you safe and prevent mid journey repairs! I leave bigger jobs for my bike shop as i don't have all the tools but i guess you could tackle a bottom bracket or hub change. If you want to save costs of bike servicing this is ideal. The only critisism is there were no instructions to put it together buts its not too difficult to work out as its 4-5 peices.
This plus a cycle repair manual saved me loads in labour costs, good buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Invest and buy a proper bike stand!, 5 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
I've used this for the first time this morning to adjust my rear gears. I spent more time trying to adjust and get the bike to sit in the stand than I did actually adjusting the gears! In the end, the stand didn't work and I had to use one hand to old the bike (fortunately a road bike) while checking the running of the rear gear.

Avoid, buy a stand that actually supports the bike - pretty key really on a bike stand I would have thought.

A waste of money but a good lesson learnt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Draper cycle workstand, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
This is a handy tool if you like to work on your own Bike. Seems pretty stable once you've set up the support brackets for your bike frame - though I think the "Heavy Duty" used in the product description is a bit optimistic. However, it is stable enough to adjust the gears successfully (which obviously entails spinning the wheels whilst adjusting the stop screws). It also makes other maintenance easier, simply by freeing up both hands for the task in hand. Both support brackets are coated with a protective film to avoid scratches on your bike frame - I found that this does work if you're careful and have experienced no paintwork damage. Overall good value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Half a bike work stand, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Draper 59304 Heavy-Duty Work Stand (DIY & Tools)
This is a rear wheel stand, does not support the front wheel or the whole bike, I would class it as light weight. The stand bolts do not fit the stand well so it rocks, before the bike is attached. When the bike is attached by resting rear wheel frame the cycle rocks even more than the frame. I have yet to try to remove the rear wheel but I am not confident that the stand will hold the bike firmly.
Looks like I will turning the bike over and resting it on the saddle and handle bars as a safer option than the stand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›