5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 Mar 2005
This review is from: Just Beyond The River (Audio CD)
What a lovely Album. I haven't yet heard his first album, but will be sure to check it out after hearing this. A beautiful alt/country album, which to me sounds like an unplugged beck with a bit of Nick Drake thrown in.
If you are thinking of purchesing this record though, I must recomend you search out for the limited version which comes with the free ep. The 6 tracks on the ep are some of the most beautiful I have ever heard and rival some of the album tracks. A shame they weren't all on the one album, as I don't think this ep is available seperately.
enjoi!

5.0 out of 5 stars My album for the winter, 18 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Just Beyond The River (Audio CD)
Whether at home with the fire lit or in a pub with a roaring fire when the weather is dreich - this is the album for those long winter nights.
It's mellow and melanchony yet warm and uplifting at the same time. I have listened to it half a dozen times and it already feels like a wonderful old friend already and every time I find a new favourite song.
Check their website to hear some samples and see them live - they're even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never too old to be blown away!, 16 April 2005
Churchmouse (Birmingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just Beyond The River (Audio CD)
I have never before felt like writing a review, but this album is so beautiful it makes you want tell everyone.
The genre? Sort of folk/country, I guess. Guitar, violin, banjo all feature prominently. If that worries you, don't let it. I am not a country music lover - much of my collection features synths and samples only - but this album is something special.
Wonderful, warm, uplifting songs of love. I admit there are some here which raised the hairs on my neck and genuinely brought me to tears.
Why not give it a go?

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I hoped for, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Just Beyond The River (Audio CD)
The sound was just what I wished for. More fine and dextrous playing by the artist providing a tableau upon which to present his experiences in lyric form. Lovely stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, winsome and wonderful, 6 Mar 2008
This review is from: Just Beyond The River (Audio CD)
What a great album this is! James Yorkston's songs are evocative and beautiful. The songs are slow-burning though, they seep into your consciousness quietly and gently without you noticing. "Heron" is a perfect example, and almost epitomises the whole album. Starting quietly, it gradually builds into a glorious wave of accordion, before gently resolving. The album on the whole is a quiet one, though "Banjo Number 1" and "Shipwreckers" are rather more rousing. Yorkston has also included a couple of traditional numbers, "Edward" and "The Snow It Melts The Soonest". However, the songs fit together as a coherent whole through the use of banjo, fiddle, accordion and guitar. The overall feel of the album is warm and occasionally melancholic, but always lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it for EP as well as a superbly rounded album, 25 Nov 2004
Brenda Henderson (UK) - See all my reviews
Another reviewer descibed this as their winter album of the year, I totally agree. Very listenable but does not fail to impress on each listen with some powerful songs: "Banjo #1" being a foot-stomping favourite and "The Snow it melts the soonest". Definately worth seeing live as well, if just for the latter track being enjoyably blasted out by the most lively musicians i've seen.... Oh yeah, you get an equally good EP with this edition too... In a snazzy card case.

Just Beyond The River
Just Beyond The River by James Yorkston (Audio CD - 2004)