Size: Nylon|Colour Name: 1 Pack|Change

Although these aren't my 1st stick of choice, which is currently Vater's Manhattan 7A Wood Tip, they are an excellent all-round workhorse stick, and I usually have a pair or two in the ol' stick bag.

I've never yet bought a mismatched pair (you play the shafts of the stick against each other like claves, to check they have the same pitch), and they are well made, well balanced, and give a nice clear sound and response.

I always recommend either the Vater 7A's or these to my students, and they often go for these, especially if they're more into louder heavier stuff, like rock, pop and metal, as opposed to the lighter more intricate styles like jazz, funk and latin.
on 21 February 2010
Vic Firth is the name that any serious drummer should look to when buying drum sticks. They provide a full catalogue of sticks, from the almighty Corpsmasters to the 5a work horse. Unfortunately, they are not immediately available to drummers in the United Kingdom, but thankfully, Amazon stocks the one stick that should be on every shelf, the Vic Firth American Hickory 5a.

Aside from a distinct excellence in quality, choice of wood, variety of style and general build quality, Vic Firth sticks just feel nicer. Some stick manufacturers opt for a glossy finish, whereby the stick appears to be varnished. While obviously a subjective matter, I feel that this provides an impersonality between the player and the stick. Vic Firths have an almost matt, unvarnished finish, which sits comfortably and snugly in the hand, and feels as smooth as silk.

It should be noted that Vic Firths, if played hard, will break just like any other stick. They aren't made from carbon fibre or cast iron, and they will break. They will chip, scratch, and splinter with use. However, this is an industry normality, and you may find that chosing a superior stick will delay the inevitable a fair bit.

This is the industry standard for drummers without specific tastes (such as the ultra thin 7a sticks, or the fat 2b sticks etc.), and the price makes these pro-quality sticks a steal.
on 23 December 2014
great sticks, Vic Firth are a great brand, true to image and description.

I ordered a 5a as i wanted to test the weight difference with my 7a. I actually prefer 7a as these 5A's feel slightly heavier. That goes on personal preference though.

recommended.just find out the weight you suit before.
on 10 March 2009
My 12 year son loves these drum sticks - "awesome" was his word for them.
on 23 August 2014
I broke these after a couple of weeks on my yamaha tp65 v drum pads, but that could be put down to me being an inexperienced drummer and hitting too hard- but a friend of mine who is a professional recommended 2B sticks. I got the same American Classics but in that size, and they are tanks!

I am aware that a lot of people have chosen their stick and will stick to 5A, but if you are like me then try the bigger ones. I also think that hard rubber drum pads put more stress on the stick than a real drum skin, so they may last longer on yours.
on 30 August 2010
Bought these to replace another set i had which were heavy and not enjoyable to use. These have a good feel and are nice and lightweight. Would recommend.
on 12 January 2015
this is a good product. the drummer boy still uses this stick in the church
on 18 April 2013
I went for these drumsticks as they came with good recommendations from other people on Amazon. My son needed size 5A for school use and he is happy, teacher says they are good.
on 16 September 2013
My boyfriend was looking for a pair of vans to replace his old ones. We found these, good delivery time. Good quality and such a good price. Boyfriend loves them, very happy :)
on 16 February 2013
My son uses these. These were recommended to him, when he started taking lessons, by a friend who is a drummer. No regrets and are good quality reasonably priced drumsticks.