5.0 out of 5 stars Great little instrument at a great price!
Published on 6 Aug 2010 by Instrumentlover100

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad
My son likes it, it is hard to use he says but give him time and he will get the hang of it I should think. Mined you for the price I cannot complain.
Published 9 months ago by abcde

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little instrument at a great price!, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
This is a fantastic little purchase. I was worried that the fife would be too high pitched and squeaky but i was pleasantly surprised! From looking on the internet, some people have found it difficult to get a sound at first, but i persisted and got a sound within hours, and i've never played the flute, so if i can do it, anyone can! I'd highly recommend this for anyone thinking of playing the flute, but wanting to test the waters first with a cheaper alternative. The companion book "the fife book" by Liz Goodwin is a great little starter for teaching yourself on this instrument.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this is so satisfying!, 28 May 2013
M. Molloy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
I should state from the outset that am not a trained musician. I can hold a tune when singing and I have a reasonable appreciation of pitch.

I was introduced to this instrument via a recording of an artist called Wouter Kellerman. I did a bit of research and noted that many people consider the fife to be a challenging instrument. Unlike a tin (penny) whistle or recorder the process of creating a note isn't straightforward, it's more akin to blowing across the top of a bottle. Thankfully the little ridge gives a good indication of where one's bottom lip should rest.

On the first day I was glad I got a tin whistle to fall back on because getting anything other than an airy hiss out of the fife seemed impossible. However, after 30 minutes I was intermittently getting a warm, bright tone. The instrument sounds *wonderful* but it does take work. If the past three days are anything to go by I hope to progress quite quickly because frankly, I cannot put this thing down.

I've noted a number of people (on Amazon US) stating that this is not a fife, it's a transverse recorder and giving it a a poor review as a result. I'm so glad I ignored those opinions; I don't care what this instrument is called, all I know is how satisfying it is to play and how lovely it sounds.

My only criticism is that the instruction sheet, whilst it does demonstrate the scale, does not indicate how one needs to blow. However, a little bit of research demonstrates the technique required.

Hey, for a little over £6 the latter is totally forgiveable.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Fife, 11 Mar 2010
A. Ashley (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
I was'nt sure about buying a Fife as I'm not very good on the Flute or Piccolo, I do however have Recorders and Penny Whistles which are very straight forward to learn. Also the position one holds the Fife and the correct angle to blow are very important. Until the angle of breath and position of the instrument have been learnt I guarantee you will not get a single note out of yours. Then as if by magic (or just pure chance), you are holding your Fife perfectly horizontally with your breath correctly angled and listening to the mellow sounding notes from your own Fife. This is not a quiet instrument but once learnt both the Flute and Piccolo are now also playable, so my advise is to start on the Fife before spending lots of money on a Flute or Piccolo and if you really can't get it right, it does'nt matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yamaha YRF21 Fife, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
My new fife arrived very quickly, quicker than I expected.
It was well packaged and in excellent condition. It is a beautiful fife, nice shape and sound. The fingering is differerent to what I am used to but I will learn it. I would highly recommend this fife to anyone who is considering buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent This product is sturdy and robust and is perfect for the doing the job we bought it for. I would recommend it., 30 Nov 2012
I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fife, 1 July 2009
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
My eight year old daughter wants to learn to play the flute but I wasn't sure she would keep it up so I thought I would start with something a little cheaper. The Fife is perfect for her, its simple to use and she loves playing it to other people becauce no one knows what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 5 July 2013
Mary Waters "Contrary Mary" (Wirral UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
Well, what a thing! sounds both soft and loud, and I am very happy with it as my daughter now has my flute. need to buy a book with it, though, but for now I will persist in playing by ear.

4.0 out of 5 stars like this, 6 Jun 2013
Ms Cs Territt (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
like the flute but it is not easy to use for beginner but I will keep practising , packing protected it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flute, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
Played with it in a gig a day after it arrived. I loved it. My new favorito musical toy. Very well tuned, as already expectes from Yamaha products

5.0 out of 5 stars Fife, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Yamaha YRF21 Fife (Electronics)
Very good item. Well made, good pitch and good documentation with it. I will buy again from this company and recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›