5.0 out of 5 stars Why Cant I Stop Listening To This!!!!!!!!!!!
Published on 29 Sep 2003 by wwwzebrapool2

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm....
Disappointing.
I didn't realise this wasn't the original album so was highly miffed to find it contained remixed versions of tracks from what is undoubtedly their best album.
Published on 4 July 2011 by Dunc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...., 4 July 2011
Disappointing.
In the sleeve notes Dave Mustaine is quoted as saying the only way to better their most successful album was to remix it. Well, fair enough, it's his album. And yes, it is very shiny and bright, softer, and warmer-sounding than the original, but the addition of lavish reverbs to tracks such as Symphony Of Destruction merely serve to remove the crushing, raw relentlessness of the original. More is less.
This is definitely a case, Dave, of 'It wasn't broke - didn't need fixing'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Cant I Stop Listening To This!!!!!!!!!!!, 29 Sep 2003
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
Ok picture the scene Metallica produce and realise Black (Metallica) in 1991 all eyes go on Megadeth. Can they match this??? Can they oh yes they can!!!! Im listening to the album as i write this review Symphony of destruction you know how it goes lovely harmony cut short by Dave Mustaines ripping guitar action and David Ellefson's heaviest bass line But it doesnt end here from song one to eleven this album just gets better and better."Sweating Bullits" probably Megadeths moct commercial success in my own opinion is not the stand out best song on this album dont get me wrong i still love it who could forget that kick drum and that riff which Mustaines beautiful unforgetable and haunting voice. But in my and only my opinion song seven "Countdown to Extinction" is the stand out track on this album listen to it once and youll be hooked. This album quite seriously is one of the greatest Heavy/Rock Albums of all time when you think of the greats "Seasons in abyss, Master of Puppets, Among the living Coyboys from hell" This still delivers the goods every time and doesnt get old. Dont take my word for it jus go out and buy this you wont be ripped off i gurantee forget your sh**y pop rock nu metal this is the heavy stuff.Mustaine as usual gives his all a proper rock god ! the man is a living legend! SIMPLY A MASTERPIECE thanks for reading!

1.0 out of 5 stars KNOW YOUR ABC...ANOTHER BUTCHERED CLASSIC!!!, 23 Aug 2011
Gabriel Hill Harriss "Dionysus" (Bedford,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
Here I go again!!! ( In the immortal lines of 'Sweating Bullets'!).. I ranted about how bad the remastered version for So Far So Good So What..was, and the same has to be said for Countdown. Another classic butchered..why oh why was this done?? I bought the remastered having owned the original, thinking, 'this'll be interesting', maybe heavier, something extra? some added sleeve notes? Well, it had some of that, and to be completely frank, the bonus tracks are the best thing on the remastered version. The album itself has been butchered beyond belief, and I have to agree with one of the other comments, Dunc, in that all the aggression and heaviness has been removed, and replaced with tinny trebly innocence, and bright fluffy drums!! It all sounds too high end, polished to the point of smiling pearly whites rather than 'its gapped tooth grin!!!!!' like in the original.
You know what, and it's maybe a bit of an obvious one, but I think Daves ego really got carried away with him during the remasters of these albums..It was a time to go 'these are mine, and f@ck what anyone else thinks, I'm gonna have a play!!' like some spoilt kid having a tantrum. He never liked Nick Menza that much, and it really shows on this album as he completely destroyed any density his drum sound had from the original! I thought Nick was possibly one of the best techinically brilliant drummers the band ever had, truly unique sound, but Dave in his infinite wisdom for a cash-in throws in a nice tinny echoey slap to the drums..it sounds..well, rubbish in my opinion.
So, this, probably my second or third favourite Megadeth album, close shave with So Far So Good, or Peace Sells..is turned into the 'MegaDave'album.. A real shame as this was a defining classic that had them take the world by storm at their peak!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 20 Mar 2012
Mr. M. Regan "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
this for me is THE megadeth album, I have it on CD and Vinyl. It is that one album from any bands career that just works from one end to the other, Mustaine's growling vocals on Symphony of destruction and Countdown to Extinction are just perfectly suited to the content of the songs. Now its been a while since I have listened to this album, too long really, so in writing this review I think I will head off into the CD archive and have a blast. If you have not listened to this album then you must add this to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as the original, 29 Jan 2012
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
This album,great as it always was is different to the original release.It has been remastered and remixed.While it give the songs a cleaner sound and all the instruments are much sharper along with the vocals,it just doesn't sound like the original album.There are also miniscule difference on some songs,such as Psychotron. ot that they really matter but to a hardened Megadeth fan such as myself it did leave me thinking "This is not how the song goes there" etc.By all means buy this great album,but if you can get the original get that.The songs on the original all have a more "Blended" feel to them,in the the instruments are blending in with one another along with the vocals,not singled out and made really apparent as they are on this 2004 release.I assume they wanted to freshen it up to attract newer listners,but it was one of those where it was perfect as it was.If it ain't broke dont attempt to fix it!! Overall I would give it 8/10,but get the 1992 release it just sounds better!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Megadeth albums, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
If like me you are a massive fan of Megadeth, then you will have probably got all of their albums and you will be able to appreciate the fact that this isn't as heavy as their earlier work but still appreciate that this is still an outstanding album. If however, you only like their earlier and faster work then you will probably hate this but if you are a new Megadeth fan and like me and other massive fans of Megadeth can appreciate diversity, then I can't recommend this highly enough as it is one of my personal favourite ever Megadeth albums.

I know and respect that everybody will have their own personal favourite Megadeth albums, most likely PEACE SELLS, RUST IN PEACE, KILLING IS MY BUSINESS, SO FAR, SO GOOD...SO WHAT! or the underrated and similar to this YOUTHANASIA but some of the comments I have read never cease to amaze me. For example I read one comment on their new album UNHOLY ABOMINATIONS that said it was their best album for twenty years. Seriously, what planet are these people from (certainly not planet Megadeth), dont get me wrong, it is good but I have listened to it enough times to say it is nowhere near as good as this masterpiece, released in 1992, I would understand someone saying it is their best for twenty years if it was as fast as their early work but it isn't. Another comment that amazed me about this particular album was from someone who said it was really good apart from the last track, surely it can't be just me that thinks that ASHES IN YOUR MOUTH is one of the best tracks on this. It is an outstanding ending to an outstanding album. Seriously, this track is one of my favourites, what about that glorious moment in the middle of that guitar solo when the drums stop for that three second bassline before the guitar solo continues (gives me goose bumps every single time), truly outstanding musicianship.

So, like I said, if you have only just got into this legendary thrash band and want to know if this is any good, then all I can say from a fan who is open minded and has listened to all their albums more times than the BBC advertises one of it's own programmes, this is definitely one of their best. A MUST HAVE MEGADETH ALBUM.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a brilliant record, 1 Sep 2005
J. Isles "5majiks" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
Oh man, i've heard enough of the Metallica Vs. Megadeth debate to last me a lifetime. Simple answer - if you don't like one of these bands - don't listen to their music! I've heard this album compared to Metallica's Metallica. Yes, here, Megadeth too, decreased their thrash elements; yeah, they started getting more play on radio and Mtv; yeah, it's not as hard edged and full throttle as their previous albums. But it's nothing like Metallica's 'Black' album. I even heard (or rather read) somebody saying that CTE is less agressive then the 'Black' album. This is not true. And no, if you're thinking i'm a "Megadeth lover=Metallica hater" kind of person, you're wrong. Why on earth can't people enjoy both bands. I just wouldn't try to compare Metallica and Megadeth; i think they're both so different. If you don't 'get' this album, then you don't 'get' Megadeth. A lot of the songs are slower than their previous efforts and it's more polished sounding, and has some simpler song structures, but it's Megadeth through and through. The thrash hasn't completely disappeared either; there are progressive thrash elements to this album. But hey - you can't play Peace Sells and Rust In Peace forver! You have to progress, else risk becoming a very boring, predictable outfit and a parody of yourself. That doesn't mean you sell out, and this record isn't a sell-out. It's top-notch quality, with some intelligent songwriting. I love the sound of the guitars on this album, particularly on songs such as Symphony Of Destruction, Architecture Of Aggression, Psychotron and Ashes In Your Mouth. The latter is one of my favourites and one one of the heavier songs on the record, which also has some amazing sounding guitars in it. The Friedman-Mustaine team up at the end of the solo sounds wonderful. The musicianship certainly hasn't faltered. There a still killer riffs in abundance here. It IS a heavy album, but there is a 'groove' to it, but then i think Megadeth always had that. I also enjoy the lyrics. They're honest, truthful, thoughtful and some are funny, though in a dark way. Some standout tracks for me - 'Symphony Of Destruction'; 'Sweating Bullets'; 'Architecture Of Aggression'; 'This Was My Life'; 'Ashes In Your Mouth'.
I haven't got the remastered version of the album but i have heard some of it, and from what i have heard i think i prefer the original version, though i do have an MP3 of the bonus track from the remaster, 'Crown Of Worms', which is a good song and well worth listening to. I also have the demo version of Psychotron, which is actually a very good demo. There is an extra verse and the arrangement is different, which is interesting to hear. If i could, i would probably give this album 4.5 out of five stars, or maybe slightly less, but i suppose 4.3 sounds stupid. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Megadeth Album Ever!, 29 Dec 2002
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
This has to be without doubt the best Megadeth album they have ever released.
OK, so it may not be a thrash album, which is really what Megadeth were about. So they've moved on. But the move is for the better, and I'm sure that you'll agree with me when you hear this album.
Its starts off with the upbeat "Skin O' My Teeth", with a classic main riff, and some excellent soloing from Mustaine and Friedman. It then moves on to the most famous song on the album, "Symphony of Destruction". This is a fairly slow and heavy song, and is considered one of the best heavy metal songs of all time. You have to listen to it to believe it.
The also famous "Sweating Bullets" is 5th on the album. I'll have to be honest, when I first heard this song, I didn't like it that much. However, it soon grew on me, and now I consider it to be one of the best on the album.
Next song worth mentioning is the title track, "Countdown to Extinction". Although this song doesn't really contain any memorable lyrics, amazing riffs, or long and complicated solo's, it still delivers the sort of style Megadeth have now adopted.
The last track on the album worth mentioning has to be my favourite of all Megadeth songs, "Ashes in your Mouth". The timing in the song is somewhat different for Megadeth, but it's the sort of thing that Marty Friedman is famous for doing, you only have to listen to his solo albums to hear that. The solo's in this song have to be some of the best I have ever heard, and I'm a big Metallica, Guns N Roses etc... fan, so that really means something.
Overall, this album is an essential album for any metal fan. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best megadeth album ever ... in my opinion, 23 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Countdown to Extinction (Audio CD)
From the start this album pulls no punches. Dave Mustaine's voice is truly tortured as he tries to deliver some tortuous lyrics. Rust In Peace may have been Megadeth's peak as far as speed thrash is concerned (mighty solos & highly recommended), but Countdown To Extinction is a far more mature offering. The songs are better crafted and the production is excellent. Definitely worth splashing out for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
Everything was well done

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Countdown to Extinction
Countdown to Extinction by Megadeth (Audio CD)