5.0 out of 5 stars Memories Made Without Vocals, 17 Mar. 2005
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Instrumental Memories are Made of This: 54 Timeless Melodies (Audio CD)
Here's another generous helping of nostalgia of the first fifteen years or so of the British pop charts, this time featuring instrumentals.
Apart from the Shadows, who have remained popular to this day, most of these tracks are very much in the one-hit-wonder category, but very memorable for all that. Aside from collectors of easy listening orchestral albums from such as Bert Kaempfert and Henry Mancini, I suspect that most people, like me, will only have them on old 7" vynil, hidden away in a cupboard or the loft. This collection was made for us!
Worthy of note, in amongst some of the obvious tunes, are a few which have been used in recent TV commercials (the Bert Kaempfert, Whistling Jack Smith and Dave Brubeck tracks), some old TV themes (such as Dick van Dyke, Dragnet, and Johnny Keating's version of Z-Cars, which doubles as Everton FC's home match theme), some even older radio ones (Desert Island Discs, Dick Barton, The Archers) and some from the halcyon days of Radio 1 (DLT used the Mood Mosaic track, Jimmy Young the Kenny Woodman one, and Alan Freeman used a very similar version of Brian Fahey's for Pick of the Pops).
The classics are not forgotten either, after a fashion, that is - Beethoven (Nut Rocker), Tchaikovsky (Saturday Nite At The Duckpond) and Mozart (Symphony 40) are given a good mauling. On the reverse of the coin it's nice to have the Tim Mycroft (aka Sounds Nice) version of "Je t'aime", sans heavy breathing, and, without techno-beats, Ferrante & Teicher's reading of "Exodus".
It's all great stuff, and they have all cleaned up very well for CD - even Elias and his ZigZag Jive Flutes, which I remember sounded pretty primitive even in 1958.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nameless Tunes from Childhood, 4 Jun. 2010
Adrian Bratby "Jetter Rat" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had something to smile about the other day. They don't call them Kodak Moments anymore but OMG moments, so I understand and I had two of them. I bought a CD on line at Amazon, which contained a tune that I had been searching for since I was at school. The tune was famous but I never knew its name until I finally found out when it was played on the radio. I went and checked the playlist and bought the CD - Instrumental Memories... Are Made of This. The tune is A Swingin' Safari by Bert Kaemfert and His Orchestra. As I looked through the list of songs on the CD cover I noticed another tune - was it another I had been looking for since I was at school? I knew it as the tune on the Hygena QA kitchen furniture TV adverts. I had a rough idea of its name - C P Shaw by Johnny Pearson. I played the CD and guess what? It was the other tune I had been looking for all those years. Its title is Sleepy Shores by The Johnny Pearson Orchestra. Instrumental Memories... Are Made of This!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding collection of instrumental hits, 16 July 2004
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
In the fifties and sixties, instrumental hits were a regular feature of the pop charts in Britain and America. The Shadows in Britain and the Ventures in America were the big stars but there were many others too. This collection contains many classic hits from that era and plenty of lesser hits that are well worth hearing.

The set opens with Stranger on the shore, a classic hit played by clarinettist Acker Bilk. Other highlights include A summer place (Percy Faith), Apache (Shadows), Midnight in Moscow (Kenny Ball), Pink panther theme (Henry Mancini), James Bond theme (John Barry), Telstar (Tornados), Nut rocker (B Bumble and the stingers), On the rebound (Floyd Cramer), Z cars theme (Johnny Keating), Albatross (Fleetwood Mac), Petite Fleur (Chris Barber), Classical gas (Mason Williams), Yakety sax (Boots Randolph), Walk don't run (Ventures), Side saddle (Russ Conway), Cast your fate to the wind (Sounds orchestral) and A walk in the black forest (Horst Jankowski).

Apart from these famous instrumentals, there are a few forgotten rarities. The South African group, Elias and his zigzag jive flutes, who had a British top ten hit playing Tom Hark. The Cougars had a minor hit with Saturday night at the duck pond.

There are a few obvious omissions. I might have expected to find The good the bad and the ugly (Hugo Montenegro), Diamonds (Jet Harris and Tony Meehan) and something by Duane Eddy. But don't let those omissions put you off - this is a great collection and you can find the others without too much difficulty if you want them.

If you enjoy pop instrumentals from the fifties and sixties, you will find plenty of interest here.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the cd - But !, 14 Oct. 2013
Mr. James A. Long "Jimbo's Lair" (Blackpool,England) - See all my reviews
I cant fault the cd so I must give it 5 stars - But if you want the Amazon MP3 Download for the cheaper price .....Once again Amazon has'nt bothered to check ....This isnt the same album ! It's totally different ! Even the cover is completely different ! Time & time again I will find the same mistakes between the cd & the MP3 sales....& special editions can be infuriating with the bonus tracks NOT being on the MP3 versions - meaning it isnt the special edition ! There seems to be no human intervention checking these mistakes.Its all the computer - So if you're looking for Rock Music ...You might end up with recommendations of books about Rock Formations & Rock Climbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A Truly Fabulous Collection Sure To Delight', 29 Aug. 2014
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I didn't think I was going to think much of this album as a whole when I bought it because I only picked it up for two or three tracks but it is actually a fantastic album! Instrumentals can be really dull if uninspired or repetitive but this collection proves conclusively that with plenty of imagination and a great theme in mind an instrumental can be just as memorable as a great song.

What really makes this collection so good is the fact that the sound is great throughout! While most of the tracks are vintage recordings (60's or earlier) they sound pretty good here and the sound levels are remarkably consistent throughout both CD's. With so many different styles covered (Jazz, Rock N' Roll, Film, Television, Easy Listening) you could be forgiven for thinking that an album like this would sound like a horrible 'miss-mash' of styles and timeframes. Incredibly, the diversity and 'journey through the years' actually adds to the enjoyment of this album and I have to take my hat off to whoever compiled it as the running order is perfect.

I wanted to get hold of this to obtain the three Spedeworth Stock Car Racing 'theme tunes' it contains. 'I Was Kaiser Bills Batman' is the theme song for the Hot Rods, 'Nut Rocker' is the Stock Rod theme and 'A Swingin' Safari' is used to introduce the Stock Cars. Most of the old (I'm talking 30 plus years ago here) Spedeworth formula theme tunes are hard to come by on CD these days especially the Whistling Jack Smith track so this was a great value purchase for me already.

Whether your heart skips a beat to Stock Car related theme songs or not, you will LOVE this double album and I would heartily recommend it to anyone looking to buy an elderly relative a special Christmas present. Equally, if you have anything to do with providing the entertainments for old people's homes this will prove a popular purchase.

Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for quizzes, 4 May 2013
Jthomson "janice leon" (Gourock, Scotland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Good quality of sound and a very interesting mixture of items. I deliver quizzes every now and again and this certainly will be most helpful in that instrumental music is not such a giveaway as songs with lyrics. A gem of a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars very relaxing, 7 Jun. 2014
really thrilled with this CD. so many memories of TV programmes watched and theme tunes forgotten and rediscovered. would recommend.