5.0 out of 5 stars 3-4x longevity for about 1.5 times the price
Published on 10 Aug 2010 by Martin Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for my style of playing
I bought these because a colleague and highly competent guitarist recommended them when I mentioned that my guitar was desperate for new strings.

Published on 21 Feb 2012 by S. Berger

5.0 out of 5 stars 3-4x longevity for about 1.5 times the price, 10 Aug 2010
Martin Turner "Martin Turner" (Marlcliff, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Taylor guitars come fitted with Elixir strings, and so do many other leading makes. The reason is that nano-web coated strings such as these last 3-4 times longer than ordinary steel strings before they go 'dead'. Given that most acoustic guitars will hang around in a shop for a long time being played by people with sweaty hands, these strings do a lot to improve saleability. They are slightly less bright throughout their life than my favourite D'Addario strings, but brighter than D'Addario's own equivalent EXP Coated Strings. On a cost/benefit basis, Elixirs are in principle a good buy.

The real question, which you can only answer by trying them, is how good they sound on your guitar. On my old Oakland guitar, Elixirs sounded dull, and couldn't compete with D'Addario conventional phosphor-bronze strings. On my current main guitar, a Taylor, they produce a well balanced sound which is good for a very long time after exiting the first week's 'jangly-zingy' sound. My advice to anyone looking for the right strings is to keep trying different premium makes (Martin, Ovation, D'Addario, Earthwood by Ernie Ball, Fender, Gibson, Elixir) until you find the right ones. Clearly these strings are more of a risk because they cost more and stay on longer. Basically, though, if your guitar doesn't sound 'dull' or 'wooden' with conventional strings, then these are worth trying. If you struggle to keep the sound alive on ordinary strings, then Elixirs are unlikely to help -- assuming that you change the strings regularly. On the other hand, if the guitar sounds jangly, thrashy or zingy, and you want to control this, you should definitely consider Elixirs.

You can actually buy these as a four pack, which is a bit more economical if you are sold on them, and should last you more than a year. It also means that you have strings ready in the guitar case.

I'm giving these five stars, because they are, in my opinion, the top of the tree as far as guitar strings are concerned, giving both great tone and longevity. But, let me say again, these are only good if they are good for you. All guitars differ, and what different guitarists want differs. Especially if you are singer-guitarist, the tone of the guitar needs to work well with your voice.

---

A note on string gauge. For acoustic guitar, most people start on .010 gauge strings. The tone of .012 will be almost always better than .010 on a full-sized guitar, and if you are looking to improve the tone, then going up a string gauge will probably do more than the brand of string. In principle .014s would give an even better tone, but very few guitars are constructed to be able to take the tension of .014, and you should definitely check with the manufacturer before putting those (medium) gauge strings on. You will also find them hard to buy, as most guitarists choose .010, .011 or .012. Of course, the heavier the strings, the harder they are on your fingers. At the low end of the market, guitars tend to have quite a high 'action' -- the distance from the strings to the frets -- which make them harder to play even on lighter strings. A poorly set up guitar will also have high action. A guitar shop should be able to set it up for you, and this may correct other problems, as well as allowing you to move up a string gauge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strings for some., 8 April 2010
I have been playing the acoustic guitar irregularly for many years. Over the past couple of years I have settled on this make of coated acoustic guitar string. They do not sound as good or as bright as a regular fresh guitar string. What they do achieve is a longer lasting shine to the string and they hold their tone for longer.
If you are after the perfect tone and often change your tuning then buy regular strings and change them often.
If you are after a better tone on strings that can be played for a while then choose these.
I don't understand why my friends choose non coated strings. Whenever I go around their houses and pick up their guitars they are nearly always equipped with already perished strings. They do not sound good. I do not change my strings regularly and due to these strings I no longer have that problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wooed by beardedness, 10 Aug 2013
Having just tried a set of Eric Clapton's Choice Martin strings, and removed them inside 2 days, I swiftly returned to my beloved Elixirs. It was a moment of temperary madness that I strayed to Clapton. Perhaps I'd been taking my relationship with Elixir for granted and was swayed by a new model. Perhaps I'd been drinking and was wooed dy the beardedness of the cover art or maybe I'm just a cheapskate at heart and was tempted by the fact they're half the price. Anyway in my opinion Elixirs are the best strings and worth the extra dosh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Longevity, 2 Jun 2011
Since being introduced to Elixir strings several years ago, I have always paid the extra amount for them over standard strings for my electric. Last year I bought a decent acoustic second-hand, and replaced the worn strings on it with these - like the electric version, they are just unbelievable - not only do they sound fantastic, but they last for absolutely ages, giving them real value for money over normal strings, despite being more expensive.

I bought them last October (2010) and am still using the same set now in May 2011. Some may claim it is time to change strings, but as a casual non-gigging player, I can tell no real difference. To confirm this, I checked with my guitar teacher, who said the same thing, and a friend who plays guitar to a very high level, who actually asked me if I'd recently restrung the guitar!

I will definitely be buying these again when they (eventually) need replacing, they are of such good quality and last so well it is well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value strings, 15 Nov 2009
These strings settle very early avoiding the constant retuning needed with some others. They also reduce the noise made when your finger slides up the wound strings which again on some other makes can be distracting. At about twice the price of standard uncoated strings they still represent good value as they certainly will last twice as long as standard strings although I think the claims that they can last 10 times as long are probably optimistic. Search around for the best price as it can vary quite a lot. On the whole I think anyone buying these strings will be happy that they did and probably continue using them thereafter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for my style of playing, 21 Feb 2012
S. Berger "Sufisue" (UK) - See all my reviews

He said that the nano-web coating makes them sound newer for longer, because it stops the gaps in the lower, wound strings clogging up with abraded skin etc. and that the improved sound was well worth the extra money they cost.

Sounded like a great idea for a lazy re-stringer like me, however having tried them, I must say I am disappointed. Don't get me wrong, they probably do all they promise and they sound great on an open string arpeggio, but they just do not suit my style of playing.

I am a self taught guitarist and have developed my pieces by experimenting with the guitar, "I wonder what sound it makes when I do this?" style. Unfortunately some of my signature sounds I cannot make with these strings, making my songs sound flat and boring and loose their individuality.

For example on one song I make an abrupt scratching/tearing noise to create a feeling of sudden and violent disconnection by rubbing down the lower strings very fast as I take my fingers off the chord. Sounds a bit like a sabre being pulled out of its sheath ready for battle. This sound just cannot be achieved on the elixir strings because the wound strings are palpably smoother.

Another sound I like is to tap the lowest E-string very firmly, let it resonate and then slowly approach it with my finger-tip, creating an eery didgeridoo-like sound. Again I have so far not been able to make this sound on the elixir strings.

I also found that the harmonics (when you hover over the fret where there is a dot on the neck and then pick a string) didn't sound as crisp, but that may just be me.

Bearing in mind that I hate restringing, I shall go (after only 2 weeks) and get myself some copper-wound strings I got from Waterstones (of all places!) last time, can't remember what they were called, but they had a lion on the packet, sounded great and lasted very well too, and restring the guitar over again...

I am sure the Elixir strings are great quality and sound fine if you play a fairly standard strummed and picked guitar-teacher-taught style, but they're just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent strings, 6 Jan 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I completely agree with the other rave reviews here - these are very good strings. The coating doesn't interfere in any way with my playing (I'm not really aware of it), but it certainly cuts down the "whistle" of fingers moving up and down the strings which improves the overall sound a lot. They have a good, bright tone which has lasted very well - far longer than the Martin strings I have used for years. Even though they are more than twice the price of Martins, it's cheaper in the end because I think they last much more than twice as long. I would strongly recommend these strings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best acoustic chords so far, 30 July 2013
I'm playing a Taylor 214 grand auditorium for 3 years now; during this period I have tried out 4 different string sets: Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze 12-54 (this was the factory set as well), Martin phosphor bronze custom light 12-54, D'Addario EXP16 Phosphor Bronze Light 12-53 and Elixir Nanoweb in both 11-52 and 12-54 variations. My experience so far is pointing on the Elixir, which is providing the best sound compared to all other choices above. The only concern lies with the price, as it is the most expensive of all;
I will give a try to the Dunlop DAP1152 Phosphor in the future, but I'm somehow feeling that I have already met the best choice for the particular guitar (and my particular ears of course!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good strings, 1 Dec 2010
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I tried these strings after reading J. Tait's review above and I completely agree - these are very good strings. The coating doesn't interfere in any way with my playing (I'm not really aware of it), but it certainly cuts down the "whistle" of fingers moving up and down the strings which improves the overall sound a lot. They have a good, bright tone which has lasted very well - far longer than the Martin strings I have used for years. Even though they are about twice the price of Martins, it's cheaper in the end because I think they last much more than twice as long, and I would strongly recommend these strings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality strings, 15 July 2012
OK so not the cheapest guitar strings I've ever bought, but almost certainly the best. They are a little 'bright', but that's grown on me. I'll be buying some more (but not for a while hopefully!)