5.0 out of 5 stars String cutter
I wasn't lookeing for a winder, just a string cutter but this neat simply designed tool does an excellent job in both respects and at under a tenner, what more can you asksPro-Winder with built-in string cutter
Published on 2 May 2010 by Mrs. Lesley Moughtin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Use
It seemed like a good idea as I don't particularly like having to change my guitar stings, with this handy gadget claiming to make life easier. But the winder doesn't fit any of my gutar keys and frankly now the only thing I find it useful for is gutting off the excess and even that I find I can get closer with a small pair of wire cutters. Overall there is nothing wrong...
Published on 2 Feb. 2013 by Bagheera47

5.0 out of 5 stars String cutter, 2 May 2010
Mrs. Lesley Moughtin "Manx Mike" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 16 May 2010
Cuts strings cleanly, winds up strings quickly and helps get those sometimes awkward bridge pins out with ease. Excellent product and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tool, 17 Dec. 2009
Excellent for speedy stringing and light enough to keep in the guitar case. I've had mine for 4 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple but great, 16 Nov. 2010
Mr. R. Orourke (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
Simple but great sums this nifty little object up. nicely molded, looks hard wearing pro winder with built in cutter that cuts first time neatly. Winder works well and you can extend the handle for more room if you want. Nicely designed and I am glad I opted for this dearer one because it looks the part and will probably last indefinitely and has life time guarantee. Good stuff for a one time purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handiest Tool Ever!, 23 April 2011
Firstly, I'd like to say that I received the item very, very quickly. Within 2 days, I believe, great service from the seller.

I initially purchased this for the string cutter feature - I never liked leaving my headstock with a full head of 'string hair' but I didn't have anything precise enough (or powerful enough) to cut the excess consistently and neatly.

This product solved all that, I can now wind the strings about 2x faster and trim them effortlessly to boot!

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful tool, 23 Mar. 2011
J. CHADWICK (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Waves Pro-Winder String Winder and Cutter (Electronics)
Bought this as I was completely overhauling an old classical guitar, as the strings would be on and off a number of times while I adjusted frets and a new saddle,wanted the string winder element to save my wrists from getting tired and it does the job. String cutter and peg puller also useful additions.If you only change the odd string now and then well maybe you won't need it but if you change your strings on a regular basis it will pay for its keep!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 21 July 2011
I paid extra for this winder for the built in string cutter. Separate string cutters are available for about the same price as this combined tool.

When restringing my classical guitar the advantage of this tool is the rounded tips to the cutter which makes it less likely to scratch the soundboard when trimming close to it, compared to the pointed tips of side cutters. On the other hand the rounded tip means that it's harder to get in close to the sound board than with side cutters.

There are disadvantages to this string cutter. I find it awkward to open, not 'hard' just awkward. Additionally, being mainly plastic I'm not sure how long it will survive, I would expect separate side cutter style string cutters to stay the course much better than this device. But if like me you will only use it occasionally it should have a long and useful life.

There are much cheaper winders around with smaller handles, I find this one easier to use especially as it fits well.

Finally (according to the card it comes attached to) it has a lifetime guarantee but what that means in practice I have no idea (yes I'm very cynical).

5.0 out of 5 stars First time changing my strings, 3 Dec. 2010
this tool has everything you need to change your strings. Easy winder to loosen up your strings quick, good accurate wire clippers that allow you to cut right up to the tuning bits and also helps with removing the pegs. all in all this is a good all in one tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 8 Jun. 2011
E. Cameron "Ewen" (UK) - See all my reviews
After years of messing around turning keys hundreds of times I don't know why I never got one of these before. Great for tidying up the excess lengths of string too. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Invention, 27 April 2012
Thank you Mr Inventor, this has made string changing a joy, yes I actually look forward to breaking a string now, only joking :) Seriously, this string winder / cutter and tea stirrer is amazing, it winds my bass strings in 100th of the time, and having the cutter so you can resize the strings before winding is proper cool. Nice one, worth every penny.

Planet Waves Pro-Winder String Winder and Cutter