5.0 out of 5 stars HEY BIG SPENDER BUY THIS ONE
Published on 9 Aug 2007 by L. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Charity - Visually excllent - soundtrack poor.
Published on 9 Dec 2005 by David Turner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Charity - Visually excllent - soundtrack poor., 9 Dec 2005
David Turner "David Turner" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
Shirley Mclaine gives a brilliant and vital performance as Sweet Charity. The dance sequences and choreography show Bob Fosse's genius to the full in this, his first film and an excellent foretaste of his future work. The film was marred by a poor soundtrack with bad mixing between narration and music. The speech is muffled and divorced from the music and ambient sound.
Also having the English and French audio only in stereo with the other languages in surround seemed a strange decision
David Turner

2.0 out of 5 stars Great film, bad DVD, 25 Sep 2010
A. Griffiths "Adrian" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
This review is of the Universal Cinema Classics release of "Sweet Charity", which I bought thinking it was a bargain, only to find that the movie has been cropped from it's original Panavision format to fit in a normal widescreen TV format (about 16:9). I find it unforgiveable, that in this age when we do realise that cinema format movies are not the same shape as our televisions screens, a DVD release still thinks that a film needs to be squashed or trimmed in order to fill our monitors. Treat film fans with some respect and leave the film as it is meant to be seen. It's glaringly obvious when the film reverts to the correct scope to show the musical numbers and then morphs again into full screen all the rest of the time.

"Sweet Charity" is, of course, a great film, with a wonderful cast, music and dancing. You've only got to see how many of today's pop stars have aped the famous dance numbers (Beyonce and Freemasons?) to realise just how influential this was. But I am sorry I bothered paying money for this. Bob Fosse didn't use his considerable talent in choreographing and directing this classic just for some muppet to come along and re-frame it later on for a DVD release. This DVD can sit in the bargain bins as far as I am concerned, while I try and find a better edition that will let me see the whole movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEY BIG SPENDER BUY THIS ONE, 9 Aug 2007
L. Wilson (Natal South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched this film on its cinema release in the U.K. I loved it then and still do today. My tape version has seen better days so I splashed out on the dvd and I am not sorry. (dvd`s in Africa are very expensive compared to the U.K.)Shirley MacLaine is superb and there could not have been a better choice to take the lead role. Supporting actors Stubby Kay, Ricardo Montalban and Sammy Davis Jnr add to the quality of the production and Chita Rivera is brilliant. The dvd offers an alternate ending but I must confess that I have never watched it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Maclain still amuses, 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
Who doesn't know the song 'Big Spender'?
Still one of Shirley's best movies, pity the soundtrack during dialogue is a bit muffled it could have done with the treatment they've given to the music

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic!, 6 Sep 2003
This review is from: Sweet Charity [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Sweet Charity is a classic film - it really is. Shirley MacLaine plays naive "Charity" - Dear Sweet Charity - always looking for love - and always falling for Mr Wrong! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at the bridge scene. Shirley sits on the bridge with the love of her life, singing to him she had drawn out every last cent she owned and she would share it with him because she loves him that much! She continues singing we should thrown something "for luck" into the river - (don't forget she is sitting on the bridge) At this point you just have to covered your face - you can see what's coming! But Shirley never gives up hope - I think that could be the message of the film - she never allows life to dent her spirits for long. Watch the film and you'll see. The film has energy, amusement value and the chorography is just second to none in my opinion. One of my definite all time favorites - I loved it when I was a child - I love it more as an adult! - brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trimmed but a treat, 14 Mar 2010
Bruller (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
At first I was disappointed to find the letterbox-image trimmed to fit a full screen 16:9, but when the musical numbers appeared it fleshed out to the full letterbox version so you can see every movement of Bob Fosse's choreography (always a treat). And when trimmed it focuses on the leading players which doesn't take that much away from the original. Shirley is vibrant and demanding in the leading role of the dance hostess with the heart of gold still hoping to find true love.
Which is essential in a musical in which her character has to keep all the various scenes with different actors together. Not quite Fellini but truly Bob Fosse (though I have to admit it is not Fosse's best as director.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Charity, 4 May 2010
Mr. Malcolm Platt "plattypus" (devon England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this dvd, Mainly to obtain the cameo performance of Sammy davis Jnr This is a well crafted story, sad and yet funny, superb performance by Shirley who really carried this film and made it the classic. a status which it richly deserves

3.0 out of 5 stars Fosse was ahead of his time!, 11 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Sweet Charity [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is Fosse's first attempt at filming, and as a first, it wasn't half bad! It was described as 'choppy' but that is Fosse's style. His well-known style can be seen in the camera angles and the editing. Shirley McLaine was fantastic in this role, despite being second choice to Gwen Verdon, and as usual, Fosse's choreography stood out. The famous (or infamous!)Big Spender is a real jewel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old favourite, 29 July 2010
Lynda Marks (middlesex uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
Saw the show in the west end of London a couple of weeks ago and realised I haven't got the DVD - so bought it!! Next to the original showing which was in the 60's this film is by far better than any showing of the stage production. Great viewing for musical buffs

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Sweet Charity [DVD] (DVD)
This film is great, it was well ahead of its time. So funny in places, I think the choreography really steals the show. Other than that the story isn't amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xab49b744)

Sweet Charity [DVD]
Sweet Charity [DVD] by Bob Fosse (DVD - 2004)
5.00