5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set of Strings
I've used sets of these strings on several acoustic guitars and I love them.
The unwound/plain-wire 'G' string just seems to work better for the blues/rock that I play, and unlike the traditional wound 'G' string used in most sets of acoustic strings it doesn't break after repeated string-bending.
They also make it easier to make the transition from electric to...
Published on 2 Jan. 2013 by dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin, reedy and weedy
Published 12 months ago by JESB

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin, reedy and weedy, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Ernie Ball 2008 10-52 Rock and Blues Earthwood 80/20 Bronze String Set (Electronics)
If you're a guitar player considering switching (or choosing) your string product what you need to know is these are very light and have an un-wound 3rd (like electric guitar strings) If you're new to acoustic guitar you'll maybe get on with these OK but I'd warn you that you're unlikely to hear the sound of your instrument. The trade off is these are pretty easy to play with if you're used to an E guitar or just starting out. However they have a very thin and to my ears harsh sound which tends to dominate particularly if you use them live (through pickup or undersaddle and PA/Amp) Trying to get a balance between the bass strings and top 3 proved virtually impossible. I felt they just weren't resonating the soundboard enough to deliver the "sound" of the guitar and rather you end up with a fairly generic jingle with no real presence or identity. I absolutley appreciate it's horses for courses and you (along with all the other earthwood users) may well love 'em but I whipped these off after 1 rehearsal and went back to a wound 3rd set of elixir lights and the difference was huge and I mean HUGE! I'll not buy these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set of Strings, 2 Jan. 2013
I've used sets of these strings on several acoustic guitars and I love them.
They also make it easier to make the transition from electric to acoustic guitars since they have the same balance of wound-to-unwound strings, and thus feel the same when played.
Some people seem to have tuning issues with the unwound 'G' string. I've never encountered this, however on some really cheap guitars with bad intonation (i.e. ones that go noticeably out of tune as you move up the neck), the unwound 'G' does seem to suffer more than a wound 'G', which can make it sound more out of tune than other strings high-up on the neck.

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, 1 April 2012
Not much to sasy really. Great bluesy tone on my guitar. Keep a tune for days. Going strong at the moment. Only my natural pessimism prevents me giving 5 stars. They are definitely the brand I will continue with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these strings, 11 Oct. 2013
I have tried a few different sets of strings for my acoustic and these are the ones I have settled on. I love the fact they have an unwound third as it is much easier for bending and sounds "bluesier"

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for blues and country lead acoutic, 11 April 2014
Upon putting these strings on my acoustic, my immediate impression was that it was as if I was playing an acoustic with the feel of an electric. The feel of the strings is similar to the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46 electric gauge with bending just as easy. A really enjoyable playing experience.

Some might however dislike the effect these strings have on the sound, which in my case is akin to a Telecaster. For blues or country playing the sound is much to my liking. For a more conventional folk sound I will string my second acoustic with the regular Earthwood set.

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPROVED MY PLAYING, AND MY CONFIDENCE NO END!, 19 April 2013
I was a little bit hesitant about my playing ability, and then I read an article about how these string were the 'dog's danglers' for any wannabee blues man. It may be a little bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I found myself playing with more confidence after fitting them, even my long suffering wife agreed that I'd improved and was more confident in my playing. It's ernie ball all the way now, on my strat, my bass and my acoustic, B.B. King and Joe Bonamassa, move over!
{ I WISH !}

2.0 out of 5 stars ummm preference, 16 July 2013
i don't like them but some one else might.

Note: the G string is NOT rapped in copper coating witch means it the same set up of strings that u would see on an electric guitar. this is ultimately what give it the "tinny" blues sound.

nothing great here id just stick with normal acoustic strings, but its good to see Ernie Ball try this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 Feb. 2014
Possibly the best sound and well balanced string. I am really pleased with this choice of strings. I play blues so didn't wanted a twangy/crisp sounding guitar instead a run down earthy tone and these strings definitely match my requirements. Try it folks. Thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my scene, 1 Oct. 2013
Louisa Brown (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
Nothing wrong with them but too thin for my liking both physically and musically. Also seem to tarnish quickly. Don't stay in tune so well

5.0 out of 5 stars they have a beautiful blues tone, 2 Feb. 2015
Fitted these strings this afternoon, they have a beautiful blues tone. Will probably fit them again when this set wears out.