5.0 out of 5 stars Sustainability!, 22 April 2011
I, like another reviewer here, did not really know how to use this effect for a while, and yet it was the first pedal I ever bought because I saw how many pros I respected used the CS-3.

This pedal is the answer to unwanted noise and huge sonic shifts that guitarists can often find after linking up a series of pedals.

With the CS-3 at the front end of an effects chain you ensure that your volume is consistent whether plucking, strumming, shredding or palm-muting. The CS-3 works across all effects I've come across: switch between clean and drive and you'll still have that impressively consistent sound.

My chain, for example, is: tuner; CS-3; wah; drive; overdrive; chorus; octaver; tremolo; phase; boost/delay; amp. I leave the CS-3 on for pretty much every song in what is a diverse 60-odd song set when playing live.

The CS-3 can also be used as a boost pedal, though too much attack will create a lot of noise.

If you're primarily a blues player then I wouldn't personally recommend the CS-3 as you'll lose your important volume shifts.

Power the CS-3 with a Boss PSA 230es for hum free operation. These are around £20 and worth every penny - don't skimp on the power!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic ... Magic ... Magic ... !!!, 10 Nov. 2008
I have been an electric guitar player for quiet long time. But never understood compressor or what magic it could do. Never got interested in one. Never used one. Never owned one. Never even try to understand what it is designed for.

Being the only guitarist in a cover band, I have to play both rhythm and lead on one guitar switching on/off the pedals in various styles of music - Rock, Metal, Pop, Country, Blues, Reggae, Traditional, Slow, Fast. And my rhythm and solo playing even in the same song were never in the same level. Every time I have to reach for volume control, tone control or pick-up switch to control it.

Later I learnt that Compressor could be the solution. I decided to try and buy my favourite company BOSS's CS3. Played with its 4 controls - Level, Tone, Attack, Sustain and I could find the difference. Now my band mates say I sound better with controlled level. Even the sound of my guitar I found is no more flat or dull. It sounds bright, clean like Pros. It's all magic, man !

Well ! I don't need to tell about CS3. Cos I never knew it myself while all you guys with guitar out there knew it long way before I learnt it. I'm a bad guitarist :-) Need some suggestions here though. I use this CS3 before all the pedals as one of the Effects Books suggested. This is my normal Signal Chain - CS3-DS1-SD1-CH1-DD3-RV5. Is there better chain than this ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Boss Sustainer, 25 Mar. 2015
D. Wright - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal (Electronics)
My aim was to increase the amount of sustain with my guitar and this achieves it nicely. You have 4 dials to play with and in theory, that means infinite combinations and infinite complexity, but in reality, it's quite quick and easy, you can dial in your desired settings quickly and easily. An added benefit is that you can achieve a"stronger" sound at the high notes part of the neck, something that couldn't previously achieve - my very high notes sounded thin, but not now. A nice touch is that the "User Manual" (a single sheet) has a dozen or so sets of circles upon which to note your settings. Of course, you can always draw your own or photocopy the sheet, but I wouldn't have thought of the idea.
I bought the genuine Boss PSU230, which is a smoothed, low noise power supply. This means you get reduced hum as compared with a "cheepo" PSU. The Boss PSU230 cost about £19, but it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the mix, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal (Electronics)
I'm not a great fan of compression, it can get in the way of "the feel", but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to cut through a mix. This sounds fantastic when used with a strat or tele....elastic leads and clipped rhythms are the order of the day. My band mates loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 27 Nov. 2012
Quiet pedal with low noise - easy to use and sounds great when hooked up to the rest of my rig. you can get some great and varied tones from this pedal - a real bargain for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A smooth criminal, 17 April 2015
This review is from: Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal (Electronics)
I was sceptical about getting a compressor as it seemed like a relatively big expense for a subtle change in sound but jeeez i was so wrong. it makes you sound so much more professional and completely smooths out your tone! I heard quite a few compressors can cause a bit of a noise but this is so quiet until you star cranking the sustain (and volume which you'd expect) up past about 3 o'clock

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant pedal for smoothing out tone and adding sustain without fizz, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal (Electronics)
My tone is complete. The addition of a little sustain with a slight rounding of the top matches my range of Gibson and Fender guitars with my Mesa Express Plus combo for a great balanced tone. Straight through is just a click away and then this pedal is transparent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical boss product, 1 Mar. 2013
A. Peck - See all my reviews
Bought as a present. Recipient was (and still is) really happy with it. Gets used live two or three times a weekend. As the title says it is a typical boss product by which I mean we'll built and works perfectly. Bottom line; would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Elite in Pedals, 14 May 2015
This review is from: Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal (Electronics)
Still the best out there, as soon as it comes of the box , you see the quality beaming at you

5.0 out of 5 stars So Underared!, 11 Mar. 2013
Demon Dazler "Daz" (Pontypool, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal (Electronics)
Amazing pedal! Had heard of them, but never used one. So glad I tried it. It just makes what sound you've got......just better, especially for solos. It's so versatile this pedal, you can use it as a boost pedal just for soloing, or, adjust the setting to give each note that extra grit, and punch. It works well with all other makes of pedal, I have a few MXR's, it also works well when I gig as an acoustic player. Fantastic pedal! Place after your tuner on the input side of your rig. You may need a Boss NS2 , but my distortion has built in noise gate so didn't need it

Boss Cs-3 Compressor/Sustain Pedal