on 7 April 2008
In theory, I would say a toy guitar is very fun and very educational--but not the Bontempi model. We gave this to our son for Christmas, and the bridge broke into two pieces that same day, while I tried to tune it. The bridge is made out of balsa wood, which means it can't withstand even reasonable tension without breaking along the holes where the strings are tied.
The toystore where we bought it was nice enough to exchange it, but the same thing happened to this second guitar. I had even coated the bridge with superglue (which is probably why it lasted 4 months).
Now we'll buy a real ukelele--enough with these toy guitars. I can't tell you how disappointed our son was.
on 10 January 2006
The neck of the guitar snapped as my son was taking it out of the box. I know the price is cheap, but we expected a BIT more for our money!
0Comment53 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2011
I was surprised to read other comments about poor durability because I bought 15 of these little guitars approximately 4 years ago. They are used regularly by classes of 1 - 4 year olds every term and to date I have never had a breakage!

I don't tune the guitars as it would take too long and they have to be tightened with a screwdriver (15 x 6 strings is far too many to get through). However, we explore loud and soft and count strings and tuning pegs. The main objective is to encourage role play and later take-up of the instrument. The sound is gentle and not unpleasant even out of tune and several children who have been obsessed by these guitars have have later taken up learning the guitar properly.

I would not buy this guitar to learn on but as role play for pre-schoolers I have found it ideal and have tested 15 of them!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2009
I knew it was cheap but it broke as I was tuning it - as per the instructions.
on 6 February 2009
Great little guitar just the right size for small hands and fingers to use. Very well made and a good sound.
on 19 November 2008
The guitar is the right size for 4yrs and under. Can change the pitch of the strings which my son loves doing. Only bad point is due to it's size does sound a bit like a banjo type instument.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2009
I bought this for my grandson, even though his parents thought he would only get minutes of fun from it.
HE loves it, and it has been to lakeside shopping with him, strummed around the shops and it is still going strong
A brilliant toy for the price