Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Original Packaging|Change

on 29 November 2005
Excellent maths game for primary school children. Helps them to recognise the maths operators plus, minus, times and divide. But it is so much fun they don't realise that they are learning. Each player has a cauldron board and they choose ingredients to add to their potion. On the back of each ingredient card is a number, before they can add the ingredient to their potion they must find a sum card that makes that number. Once they have picked a sum card they have to warm up the heat sensitive pad on the back of the card to see the answer to the sum. If they are right then they can add the ingredient to their cauldron. For the first few games it can be quite frustrating for any adults playing, and the game can go on for a while (over an hour), so you sometimes need to agree to stop after a certain time or when you've all got say four ingredients.
11 comment|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2009
This is such a good idea, my kids love the ghosts that you rub and they magically disappear to reveal the answers to sums! My daughter who is only 6 struggled with some of the sums, but my son who is 8 had no problem ...probably best suited for children somewhere inbetween. A good way to learn and have fun at the same time.
on 25 May 2010
Loved this game my 6 year old has a love of numbers and we have really enjoyed playing this together.
I havent been disappointed with any of the orchard games I have, this and the shopping list game are my favorites ideal birthday presents.
on 4 January 2010
This is a great game for children struggling with their maths, it has fun value and they don't realise they are actually learning. I would definately recommend this product!
on 7 March 2008
I bought this game for my son who was very reluctant to do any maths with me.It is a fun way of learning, and he gained alot of confidence. I now use this game in my role as SEN teaching asssistant, you can group the cards into +, - and X and focus on that area. It can be used with other teaching aids to speed up the sums, and help gain confidence. A game for two can take 15 to 20 minutes.
on 7 August 2010
I bought this game for my niece. She was a little reluctant to engage in maths. With this game she didn't realise she was learning as she had so much fun. It takes a few attempts for the kids to get the hang of it but once they do the game speeds up and they learn quickly.
on 26 April 2009
Really clever numeracy game .
Younger children can use their memory to remember where the number are.
These are revealed by rubbing the surface of the cards which react to heat to reveal a number.
Older children can enjoy working out simple additions and substractions to find the numbers by playing with the other side of the cards.
on 16 January 2012
As per other reviews this is an educational maths game but my son didn't really notice the learning as he was enjoying rubbing the magic cards which are heat sensitive and reveal the answers. My only comment would be that in my opinion this is more suited to ages 5-6. My son is 'average' maths level and is almost 6 and this is perfect level for him but I would suspect a child of 7 to 8 years would find this too easy - but obviously it depends on the child - I am just giving you a guide. Overall a good product and would recommend.
on 28 December 2009
This is another great game from Orchard Toys, I cannot recommend their products enough. My daughter was brought one of the other Orchard Toys games for her 4th birthday and since then I have brought several other ones for her. This game in particular is very good for improving numbers skills in a fun way. Since she got it for Christmas we have already played it 4 times, all iniciated by my daughter. In fact this is the only present she has played with more than once so far! As she is a bit below the minimum recommended age we just take the multiplication cards out, not a problem as we rarely play with more than 2 players. She has learnt that a + means add and - take away as well as practising the actual sums. The game is also well made and of a high quality as are all the games by this maker.

I would just like to add that I am in no way connected to the company, I just think their products are really good value and well made.
on 5 January 2011
Bought this for my 5 year old this Christmas and she loves playing it although she finds it hard to rub the cards hard enough to reveal the answer. We found you have to rub really hard to reveal the answer to have to give some help there.

Overall it's very good and my bossy 5 year loved taking charge and helping everyone do their sums. I would imagine 7/8 year olds finding it a bit easy and boring, especially as all the sums (except one) give an answer no higher than 10. Some harder sums for older/brighter kids might improve this game and keep the adults intersted!

Otherwise, good value, educational game.