TNT

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful and extraordinarily complex album., 30 Jan. 2001
This review is from: TNT (Audio CD)
I have read so many reviews that completely misunderstood this album, often dismissing it as easy- listening soulless coffee-table music, that i just wanted to say how wrong i think the people who wrote that are.To me, it is one of the most beautiful, complex and enjoyable albums ever recorded, all of its elements coming together to create music that amounts to much more than the sum of its parts.It's a truly amazing record and none of Tortoise's many followers have come close to surpassing it. And by the way it is better than their previous album, millions now living will never die and it's nothing like Tubular Bells!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...or how to cross the finishing line first, 28 Nov. 2000
This review is from: TNT (Audio CD)
Melancholy and downbeat it may be but TNT never fails to uplift the spirit.
Tortoise are a six-piece group that craft simple yet beautiful instrumental melodies against hypnotic percussive backgrounds.
Rock it may be but their avant-garde jazz owes as much to Philip Glass and Miles Davis as it might to Captain Beefheart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A record that reframed what I understood music could be, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: TNT (Audio CD)
I discovered TNT by chance, rooting through a flatmate's CD collection c.1999. Knowing nothing of Tortoise, nor what to expect, I put this in my player. The opening loose drums of 'TNT' caught my attention immediately. I waited for the vocals that never came. I consumed the record whole. I didn't miss the vocals.

I'd never heard anything like this album. This was instrumental music that wasn't dull or insipid, nor was it about showing off technically (see Vai, Satriani, et al.); it was about texture, layers, the blending of commonplace and unusual sounds, the studio-as-instrument used to restrained perfection. I read years ago that the band were really into Japanese music and Latin jazz at the time of the TNT sessions. I think it shows in the percussive, staccato lines and pentatonic sounds, and in the way the melody is so often shifted between instruments, or partially harmonised or countered by another line. And the way McEntire buries his own drums in the mixes says so much about the attitude of this band: it's about the whole, not the parts, and it is certainly not about egos.

Now in 2013, I rarely go more than 3 weeks without listening to at least part of this record. I listened to The Bridge at Iguazu Falls last week on headphones. The complex layering of the opening section revealed vibraphone melodies to me I'd never heard despite literally hundreds of listens through this record since '99. It's a record that is generous, and never stops giving.

This is a record I delight in sharing with my friends. It never fails to draw in new listeners, baffled by the 'but...what is it?' question. It's a record that spans free jazz elements, clean oriental sounds, squelchy electronica, blissed-out ambient, glitch, prog rock, and more that I can't put a name to, yet still remains a tremendously cohesive record that takes you from where you start at track 1 and leaves you somewhere completely different. As the last 'dum dum da do' of Jetty rings out I can't help but breathe a huge sigh and begin processing all over again for the nth time the baffling complexity of this record. Lots of records are difficult, lots are complex. More rare a treaure is the complex record that is also accessible and welcoming, unpretentious, and even humorous in places.

TNT stands out as a record that truly shifted the boundaries for me of what music can be. It should be regarded as a genuine classic piece of musical genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath-taking post-rock masterpiece, 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: TNT (Audio CD)
I'm new to the post-rock zone. Actually, this is the first post-rock album I've listened from start to finish. The album cover and its name interested me to the band. I'm amazed that the album is too beautiful to be true. This album is magical, really. I can imagine myself listening to it on a beautiful spring day. There isn't a song that feels just "eh" all of them are great; but surely there are ones that take a one step ahead for me. My favorites are being: Ten-Day Interval, I Set My Face to the Hillside, The Equator and Jetty. These are all extremely high masterpieces and everyone should listen to them. I'm really curious about other Tortoise albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars how does one experience 70 minutes of pure positive energy?, 20 Feb. 2001
This review is from: TNT (Audio CD)
...you sit back, relax, turn on your cd player, put a tortoise disc in it and ... well ... just float away ...

5.0 out of 5 stars An understated classic!, 15 Sept. 2008
E. Smith "Fredders" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TNT (Audio CD)
Highly recommended; better for chilling out than any collection of Ibiza-associated tunes. Tortoise are never obvious, so it takes a few listens before the album really starts to work its magic...but when it does you'll be enchanted. Great!

TNT
TNT by Tortoise (Audio CD - 2004)