4.0 out of 5 stars Tea Mart!
Published on 3 Mar 2010 by DL Productions UK

3.0 out of 5 stars something different
I used to look forward to this every week. I thought, at the time, the Neil Stuke episodes were as good as the Ben Chaplin ones, but at a second glance I was wrong. Stuke is okay, but overdoes it, it's a common substitute - loudness for comedy. Well worth a look though, the first series with Ben Chaplin are great fun, you can see why Hollywood snapped him up.
Published 20 months ago by Harry Nicholas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Tea Mart!, 3 Mar 2010
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Game On was a guilty pleasure I had when I was a young teen, the show was funny yet serious at times, especially the content it was involved with. Martin Henson is a dreamer, obsessed with women and getting on in life; a lot of people think he's boring. Matt Malone is a agoraphobic, who's not left the house in years, he's loud, brash and fancies himself. Mandy Wilkins is a dizzy blonde who seems to sleep with everyone, which annoys Matt as he wants to sleep with her.

Some of the best moments in the show usually involve Matt being stupid, like his marines equipment, and his listening to The Manic Street Preachers at 5am to wake everyone up.

This isn't a bad show, OK it's not ground breaking, but it's funny and light hearted. The fact the show had a change in lead role didn't bother me, Ben Chaplin was funnier but Neil Stuke had whole package for me. Tracy Keating who played Claire was also excellent in this. A lot of people say that Samantha Janus (Womack) made the big time here and that's how she scored her role in Eastenders, but I feel sometimes she really was flat in the show, and her lines really revived her.

This DVD isn't very good, the picture is a bit fuzzy at times - but the sound is perfect. There are no extras which is a shame, but at least we got all 18 episodes on here on 3 DVD disks.

Well worth a look

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem from the nineties, 14 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Not an 'extra' in sight I'm afraid which is really disappointing as a commentary would've gone down great but at least Series three is here to re-watch after nearly a decade! Game On was one of those shows which pretentious Arts lovers and 'terribly serious' comedy writers turned up their noses at but I'm sorry; the sight of Neil Stuke frowning at Martin's baby saying "Nobody told me it was ginger tosser" is absolutely hysterical and makes me laugh every time I watch it. From gorgeous Mandy showing off her curves to Wally Basoom at the Bank this box set will really entertain you..People rant on about Fawlty Towers and Bottom but I'm sorry, Game On was a situation comedy that could stand alongside any of them. Very 'Nineties' sure, but to anybody that was in their twenties/early thirties then it will really appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone Whos Shared a Flat,Read On, 18 Sep 2004
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Game On is special, 3 totally different people under one roof, going about their everyday (but really wacky) everyday lives. It is more subtle than "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie" and has true smooth british 90's comedy, think "Brittas Empire" meets Friends, if there is anyone out there who hasnt seen it,,, get it, Its about 1000 times better than "Pint of Lager and two packets of crisps"!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars TEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 28 July 2004
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Classic stuff from the 90's.
Everyone debates which 'Matt' was better - but let's face it they were both great!!
My favourite episode would have to be the one where Matt joins the band - "I'm on the streets, I'm in the gutter, It's years since I've had bread and butter".... A star is born - I defy you not to laugh!
If you used to watch the series you have already placed your order. If you are new to Game On and don't know what I'm talking about - trust me - you need this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comedy, 8 Jan 2014
A. Taylor (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this when it came out on TV nearly 20 years ago and loved it. If you can't find Series one on it's own, this is worth the purchase just for the first series.

Series one is fantastic, Ben Chaplin is superb and every episode is very funny.

Series two is ok, they changed the actor who played "Matthew" to a different person sadly, and while he's just about believable in the role, he just isn't as funny. It's worth a watch though.

Series three is awful. I'd recommend not even taking it out of the box. Seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect classically 'clever' humour !, 4 Mar 2011
J. Edwards "Bright bird" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
IF you didn't get to see this series on television and you don't mind a bit of vulgarity

and

IF you need cheering up

and

IF you like Gavin and Stacey

then

Please, do treat yourself to this set.

My favourite scene, is where Mandy, who is desperately trying not to sleep around, lets herself down with a casual 'one nighter'. Her defense when challenged by the lads was, 'well, it seemed rude not to'...

I know that Samantha is highly intelligent in real life, but she certainly plays sensual naivity very well.

Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Naughty but nice, 10 Feb 2009
R. Jenkins "Glammy Nanny" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I love this series. It is so naughty but nice. It is truly childish schoolkid humour with an adult twist. Very funny and a bit of light relief from the naughty nineties as opposed to the current nasty noughties!! Game On.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Oct 2004
Mr. J. Bulgin "bulge2003" (hastings, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
lost for words i had to buy this straight away. Trust me you will love this its basically matthew whos scared of the outdoors since his parents got killed in a car crash and spends most of the day searching though mandys underwear draw and sleeping in her bed whils't shes at work or dressing up pretending to be in the marines. martin is in a dead end job flirting with a german girl who has a bit of bodily hair. and mandy trying not to sleep with everyone also she attemps to marry a millionaire 'richie' in the last ever episode. this is brilliant if ya a lover of british comedys you love this its a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Game on, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
This was a recommendation and i am glad i bought it and watched non stop whole box , brilliant and easy going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Little Comedy Show, 29 May 2014
Some Guy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because I remember watching this when I was younger and I was feeling nostalgic

Not as good as I remembered but it's worth seeing again for the fond memories of youth and for Samantha Womack (nee, Janus).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD]
Game On: Complete Series 1 - 3 [DVD] by John Stroud (DVD - 2004)
16.25