on 4 August 2008
Clearly, this is a made-for-tv movie without big studios or money behind it but then, with a film like this that's a bit of a sine qua non. It's not a blockbuster and the plotting is appropriately moderate in scope. Thankfully, this means that there are no cringe-inducing, creaky set-pieces or an overblown score trying to compensate for a lack of impressive visuals.

What we do have is a film that nips along at a comfortable pace with an appealing central performance by Navi Warat and some enjoyable chemistry between her and co-star Joe Flanigan, who shows some nice comic flair and raises a few chuckles along the way, gamely submitting to a steady emasculation as he ignores Rawat's warnings and flounders repeatedly into harm's way.

On the downside, the 'origin story' felt crammed in and we could probably have done just as well without it, joining her as she begins treatment and jumping more quickly into the central plot. As it was, the quest to find the terrorist and the big reveal at the end felt rushed and a little thin. A couple more twists and turns along the way would have made the whole thing far more rounded off. Having said that, B-Movie aficionados will still enjoy playing 'spot-the-cliche' and anyone else should easily get an hour and a half's un-taxing entertainment out of the film.

A final, spoilery note: this film felt roundly like the pilot for a future TV series and it seems likely that this was the original intention behind it. The chances of that happening have, of course, been well and truly scuppered since the leads have both moved on to other things and this is, in all honesty, a blessing. The brains and brawn relationship between Rawat and Flanigan may have proved to be quite fun, but the premise of a girl using telepathy to solve crimes is, frankly, naff, and would struggle to stretch beyond the 90 minute runtime. On top of this, the closing scene killed any possibility of revisiting the vulnerable and confused girl that was the most engaging thing about the whole movie. The ridiculous leather get-up they put her in was one of the most disappointing conclusions to any tale of female empowerment anywhere, ever. Jane Eyre it was not.
on 1 July 2009
Personally I don't know why previous reviewers thought the lead female was bad, I thought she was fine. Not as good as she is in Numb3rs, but certainly not awful. I certainy agree that the rest of the cast are good, especially Joe Flanigan. Overall, I thought that the movie was interesting and fun. If this had spun off a TV series I'd want to watch it!
on 8 July 2011
This 'film' has the look as a pilot for a long-running show, with the lead characters inevitably attracted to each other, a government agency overseeing the telepath's activities trying to prevent terrorism and a rather glib transition of the telepath from terrified and traumatised young woman into a functioning adult.

Up until the lead character suddenly learns how to control her telepathy I liked the film - it had tension, trauma and felt quite uncomfortable. Then the government turn up without any explanation of how they found Freya in the mental institution.

As a stand-alone film this is an OK DVD but, as a pilot film, it's a disaster. It's difficult to see how to make a series out of the idea that Freya can read minds and most people can't stop her doing this.

This is a pleasant enough film, just don't expect it to deliver much.
on 12 November 2005
I enjoyed this enough to buy it; however, it seemed to me to be more along the lines of a pilot to a TV show than a movie - and I know I would have liked it to be that, I think the concept works well as a TV programme. I don't know if it was originally intended to be a backdoor pilot or something, but it just doesn't really work as a stand-alone film.
It's a reasonably unusual plot (which is interesting really; you'd think more films would have covered the concept of telepathy) and the acting is *mostly* of a reasonable standard. Its two main leads are now known to genre fans; one having guest-starred as Dana in Angel and the other having a leading role in Stargate: Atlantis. On the whole it is an enjoyable film and I do recommend it - but I deeply wish that it had been made as a TV series not as a film.
on 14 April 2014
I saw this movie on DVD many years ago (I think when it was first released). I liked it then and recently remembered it and thought I wouldn't mind seeing it again. There are not many films in my collection that I watch at least once every 3 years but this I think is going to be one of them. It is a "B" movie or a "made for TV" or "straight to DVD" movie but don't let that fool you, it is surprisingly good. When I first saw it, it felt like a Pilot movie for a TV series, maybe it was but I guess the executives didn't think it would attract enough ratings and pulled the plug - shame because it has a good storyline. If you like action thrillers, with a little bit of comedy in it and an unusual storyline (which is rare these days!) then I think you'll like this film.
on 27 January 2009
Joe Flanigan is known for his starrole in Stargate Atlantis. So when I canme across this movie I bought it alone for him and I was not disappointed. He plays a cop who must team up with a girl with special powers. Of course he does not believe it at first.
The female actor is not all that good, but the story line is a fine one.
on 21 November 2008
Seems an obvious pilot, but it works as a standalone film as well. Acting good, script ok - good chemistry brought out between the leads. I agree with the reviewer who said the end rather blocked off some avenues of character exploration if it had gone on to be a series. But then if it had, Numbers and Stargate Atlantis might have been too different. The first half had the interesting psychological angles; the second half had Joe Flanigan; both were fun to watch.
on 7 January 2011
This film doesn't have much in the way of massive box office effects or acting names but then it wasn't supposed to as it was originally aired as a TV pilot which unfortunately never converted into a series.

There's some solid acting from all the leads and you can see why they all ended up going on to successful shows after this, especially as they manage to bring some human feeling, and sometimes humour, to a variety of situatinos where you need to suspend your belief.

The basic premise of this film, without spoiling too much, is that the main female lead develops telepathic abilities which are mistaken for mental instablity in her teen years. Later on she's picked up from obscurity in a mental asylum by a government doctor and is then trained to work for them in order to thwart a few bad guys.

It manages to pass the time the film runs well and theres a few hints of what might have been to come, a potential love triangle, family difficulties and an unorthodox working partnership. As I said earlier it's a shame this didnt get picked up to go further but is well worth watching by itself as long as you don't hold blockbuster asperations for it!
on 8 December 2008
this is great to watch Joe Flanigan in another great role- movies a bit hu har but the films watchable
on 14 July 2006
I agree with one of the other reviewers that it was like a pilot to a series. It was a great idea but the leading lady did spoil it slightly.

On the other hand, a stand out for me was Joe Flanigan (Stargate Atlantis). Even if he sings the scooby doo theme song. I was plesently surprised by this after renting it.