4.0 out of 5 stars Sweetie Darling
Well, the girls are back, and they are as fabulously nasty as ever.
This series sees poor Saffy pregnant to a Ugandan she met doing aid work in Africa.
Edina is delighted to have a mixed race grandchild as her latest must have accessory.
Patsy is jealous of the baby and tries to sell it, and failing that she gets it a modelling contract with Gaultier...
Published on 25 May 2004 by natty_b

3.0 out of 5 stars Still great, though not what it was!
Published on 29 Sept. 2004 by Mr. J. R. Trinder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweetie Darling, 25 May 2004
Well, the girls are back, and they are as fabulously nasty as ever.
Gran is madder than ever and Bubbles doesn't seem to have aged at all since series one, first broadcast in November of 1992!
All the fans will buy this anyway, of course, but personally I think this series takes us back to the stylish form of the earlier series, after the rather dark and twisted days of series 4.
Enjoy it sweeties!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, not ready for the knackers yard yet!!, 26 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
Much maligned in continuing on for series after series when "The Last Shout" claimed to call an end to proceedings. But series 5 is still well worth savouring, great performances, great cameos, banter and nonsense worth relishing-the highlight of the whole series though would have to be Jane Horrocks as Bubble in some inspired comic set-pieces. The best of the 8 episodes is "Book Clubbin'" with a great take-off of "Don't Look Now" and perfectly recaptures the hysterical spirit of classic ab fab!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review Of AbFab Series 1-5 + Specials, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
I have wanted to write this review for some time, but had to buy something off here first, so this is my review of abfab. I love this whole series, but in particular, I love series 5. It seemed to be as fresh as the three original series were when it first started. Everyone goes on about series 1 2 and 3, and slates series 5 but I think its clever, funny, and original, and when I first watched it in 2003 I really enjoyed it, and was glad it was back. When in 1995, and then 1996 we were told there would be no more abfab, I was gutted, so to of had it come back for numerous specials and series after that, was brilliant in my opiion. Series 4 was a weaker series, and it was self consious compared to the earlier series, but it was going to be, it had had time off screen, and was in a different decade by then, plus the whole world of fads and fashion had caught up by then, and what was depicted on screen as being outrageous and extreme has actually over time become true, so by the time it came back, abfab just didn't seem that far fetched. It was an unobtainable world that these two ladies were and are aspiring to, and there are now lots of people like that, whereas there wasn't really anyone in normal life that could experience the things they did, now it is commonplace. Despite this, series four is still enjoyable to watch. I think the new specials in 2011 and 2012 were quite good too. If it had been a whole 6 episode series, I think maybe it would of been better than just three specials it ended up being. And I wanted to know why edina and patsy had moved back in as it wasn't explained. I think when they moved into the window display of the department store, it was the perfect ending. They had become the ultimate objects of consumerism that they aspired to. By putting themselves up for sale, they were there own products. It was a touching end to a series, and very well written. That is why I was a little dissapointed with the newer specials, but it was nice to see them back. Now I just hope the film will not let down the whole series, and be a fitting end for the absolutely fabulous girls. We shall wait and see...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 21 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
After reading some reviews claiming that this series fails to live up to the high standards of previous ones, I was prepared to be disappointed, but I wasn't. The fact that the characters have "moved on" in their lives doesn't seem unreasonable, and allows for new comedic situations, rather than just revisiting the same old issues. I found the series to be just as hilarious as earlier episodes, and such a welcome relief from the childish and formulaic drivel that passes for sitcoms in the US.
Here's one heads-up for anyone who, like me, will be playing the DVD on a multi-region machine: make sure that your player can handle the 16:9 aspect ratio of this recording! Luckily, mine can, but it took me by surprise. (The NTSC version of the DVD has a 4:3 aspect ratio.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Still great, though not what it was!, 29 Sept. 2004
Mr. J. R. Trinder "jacktrinder" (Chester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
Ab Fab is one of those series that got better and then got worse. Though i do hope there will be more, part of me really doesn't want there to be as it might get even worse. Saying than series 5 is still VERY FUNNY, some parts, perticularly in birthin' and explotin', drag a bit, but there are some classic moments, namily Booberella! Any AB FAB fan should get this, indeed any comedy fan, as it's still worth it, and the Out-Takes are fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars still great fun...but DVD won't play in my Blu Ray!!, 27 Oct. 2011
D. Cowan "dc72" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
Still a fun series after the break after the original 3 series. The Characters are brilliant and the one-liners are still sparkling... like a chilled glass of bolly.
Looking forward to the 3 new episodes planned for Christmastime

Just one main gripe, i'm fed up of buying DVDs that don't play in a Blu Ray machine. 99% of mine are fine but there are a few (often BBC DVDs) which are not compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars its not a tv series..., 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
... its a way of life! I love this series, I never really paid much attention to this later series the first time round, but seeing it now I think it is the most relevant. brilliant one liners and outrageous one too. if you love the others you will deffinitly love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Darling, 23 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
I was surprised that after "The Last Shout" we were treated to another series of Ab-Fab, Edina has moved on a little, Saffy has a baby and it's all still Absolutely Fabulous!
I also highly recommend the out-takes dvd "Absolutely Not" which had me in stitches...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but showing it's age., 5 April 2005
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
Don't get me wrong, I found this series funny...but not as funny as previous outings. I think it's true when people say that when a sitcom starts to change in ways of new characters or others leaving or changing, it starts to lose the viewers interest. I confess when watching this on TV I flicked to other channels.
Although the DVD isn't unplesant and you would watch it more than once. I just hoped this was Ab Fab's last outing as the 2004/2005 Xmas special was extremely poor. I don't even remember laughing at it. And, going slightly off topic, The Vicar Of Dibly wasn't that good either.
It's been fun French and Saunders but enough is enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nooooooooo!, 5 April 2008
Bianca White "bianc93" (Gosport, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] (DVD)
I never thought I'd be typing this but Absolutely Fabulous Series 5 is far from good. There are some funny moments but the plots and characters have reached certain points that I think ruin the show.

Most notably, Saffy getting pregnant - The beginning of the end of this comedy situation. Having a child means Saffy is no longer part of that grotesque eternal triangle she unwillingly shares with Edina and Patsy. She'll be moving on with new priorities, bursting the bubble and wrecking the formula.
Secondly, everything about John, the father of Saffy's child, is just plain annoying. He is given nothing interesting to say and seems a very one-dimensional character. He's also played by a man (Felix Dexter) who is too old for Saffy and for the student dippyness he portrays. If Saffy was ever going to "escape" from Edina and Patsy, I would have liked it to be on a high note. The way it's been written, I want to shake Saffy for her poor decisions.

I hate to say it, but the overall effect of this series is that we leave Ab Fab with everything sewn up the wrong way. I imagine big fans will want to buy this series in order to have the complete set but anyone thinking of buying for entertainment purposes may be disappointed. I love Jennifer Saunders and AbFab as a whole has been one of the best sitcoms in recent years. But this particular series is nowhere near as good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992]
Absolutely Fabulous - Series 5 [DVD] [1992] by Jennifer Saunders (DVD - 2004)