5.0 out of 5 stars The Godlike genius of Galton and Simpson, 15 Sep 2004
A. C. Barker "a3barker" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
At last a promise of Steptoe and Son series by series. This is the birth of the modern sit com. Actors playing the leads and as much to make you cry as to make you laugh. It's been said before but Steptoe is like Pinter with less pauses and more laughs. I love this programme more than any other ever made (and I was only 3 when the last episode was broadcast), it stings with the realities of life and somewhere in Peckham the birth cries of Del Boy can be heard.
We tend to think that that modern sit coms such as The Office are "out there" compared to the older ones, however Steptoe was the bravest sit com ever made from it's tone, language and the evil old Albert (making David Brent appear a cuddly teddy bear) to the choice of real actors rather than comedians. It's because of this that it still repays viewing today. Ignore the black and white, the mono sound, it doesn't matter, it's still the best British sitcom ever made.
Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last ! and what a treat it is, 23 May 2006
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
I got first acquainted `Steptoe and Son' when I was a young lad, farther would watch the videos and I would sit by, and also I would watch the repeats showed on the BBC. So I was very pleased when the Best of Steptoe 1 and! 2 were made available on DVD, until I realized that all the episodes on those two releases were basically just from the same series. What's the point in that! So I am relieved the BBC are finally doing something they should have done in the first place, releasing the show's DVD's seemingly one by one in series order.

Not used to the Black and white early episodes before this DVD I was very much intrigued, and pleasantly surprised. I was hooked from episode one `The Offer' I then watched the rest of the DVD straight through. What I got was just pure enjoyment and the feeling of respect bulging in my veins for writers `Galton and Simpson' comedy writers today should envy them and realize what genius is. Two men mainly in one room for 30 minutes, without flagging simply just rolling on with pure and fresh characterization, that's genius. Of course much credit lies with Corbet and Brambell who are impeccable, there's a lot of depth in the performances and I think that's something that could be overlooked. Yes it's a comedy of course, but it really is part tragedy and in this series it's more apparent than ever, Harold desperately trying to get away from he's current life, the sense of hopelessness when it always crumbles it really does tug at the heart strings. I was left feeling rather depressed at the end of some of the episodes, as it happens. A great opening series, slightly more vulnerable perhaps than future seasons. But the best possible start.

People who love Steptoe buy this DVD, people who want to indulge in a classic situation comedy, do please get involved. I thank you BBC for finally releasing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars You Dirty Old Man!, 16 Nov 2004
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
I've got to say this is one of the best DVD's I have bought! It is the most sincere and hilarious sitcoms ever made. This had the fine line between comedy and tragedy sussed way before sitcoms like 'Only Fools & Horses' & 'Blackadder'. I'm so glad they're bringing them out as series. Before I bought this DVD I'd never seen any of the early episodes in black and white but they are the finest pieces of work I've seen in a long while. It's the sort of thing that could never look old fashioned because they looked old fashioned then.
The performances from Wilfred Brambell & Harry H Corbett are superb. As each episode goes on you feel more and more sorry for Harold and realise just how dirty and coniving his father, Albert, is. The relationship between these to characters never seems unrealistic and you can always understand why Harold can never leave the world he's trapped in by his father.
Aswell as great performances the script and plot are always brilliantly structured and just reinforces the status of Galton & Simpson as one of the best comedy writing duos on television.
The first episode alone, in my opinion, would be ground breaking stuff it was made nowadays. I've never known a sitcom to have a first episode that makes your heart go out to a character so soon. And right through to the last episode you'll be laughing and crying at this superb sitcom.
So I'd say buy this as it is one I could never get bored of. The picture quality is as good as possible but seriously when you get stuck in, like any good comedy, you forget it's black and white and you live it. So buy this and please BBC release the others!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST!, 12 Jan 2007
Richard Gilbert-Cross (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
Unfortunately Steptoe & Son doesn't seem to appeal to teenagers, but I am 17 and I must say that there's nothing more than I like on a Friday night then staying in and watching back-to-back episodes on a DVD.

I was delighted to see that every reviewer gave Steptoe & Son 5 stars. I was born into the age of technology with colour TV's and now widescreen TV's, surround sound etc. But I adore devouring the days of families huddled round a tiny black and white tv, and TV comedies such as Steptoe are such a rarity now. But an absolute English delight.

"HAROLD!"

5.0 out of 5 stars dmannock, 3 Jun 2006
D. A. Mannock (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
Greetings fellow Brits, I am ordering from Canada. I cannot get the NTSC version because there are none, so I have bought a region free DVD player and every so often I go over to a friends house and he & I, and a couple of others, sit and watch these Steptoe & Son series together. At the end of 31/2 hrs of continuous TV, we hurt from laughing so much! We are now on Series 3 and looking forward to 4 & 5. It may be that one or two of the episodes are not in crisp digitally pure form, but it is not the quality of the picture that draws people to these reissues, it is the memories of watching the series all those years ago on small B/W TVs, listening and watching the interaction between Father and Son in some small garrat. What surprised me is that after over 40 years, the humour and insight into the human condition is still there and is still relevant. While many other series have aged, the psychology of the Father and Son relationship in Steptoe & Son is still fresh and was captured so marvellously by the writers. There are no explosions, just sadness and humour as these two actors create what for me is one of the best pairings ever accomplished on TV anywhere. What is amazing is that the timing/cohesion between Harry H. Corbett and Wilfred Bramble is there from the very first pilot put out on the Comedy Play House included with the series 1 DVD. This would be just as funny with no picture at all! That is how well the series are written. The BBC obviously has a small budget for reissues of this kind. Few teenagers will want to watch this stuff and so the market is limited. All things considered, they are doing an amazing job of identifying what people want to see again and getting it out there. I have reissues on CD and DVD of things made before I was born (1958), which I first heard on rebroadcast and which I did not appreciate until I was in my 20s. What the BBC has done is to get the episodes out there for the generation that is still alive and remembers the originals. There is no point in waiting for the redigitized surround sound, holographic version, because by the time that is available I will be in the nursing home eating my mashed banana and having some young nurse change my diaper! I emplore you, buy this DVD and see for yourself. After a few minutes you will realize that the quality of the show is exactly as I have described it. Dr Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally on DVD, 10 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
Steptoe and Son is a brilliant comedy. On the DVD is the first ever episode, "The Offer". It also comes with other rare but excellent episodes. Ok, so the quality isn't brilliant, but who cares. At least they're here for us to buy. If you liked "the very best of" DVDs and the two feature length films, or any episodes of Steptoe and Son, then buy this. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steptoe & Son Series 1, 9 Aug 2012
R. G. Hughes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
This early television comedy show is hugely funny and original. A good value product and I certainly intend to purchase the subsequent series.

5.0 out of 5 stars black & white heaven, 18 Mar 2007
E. Dale "elained2" (W. Yorks, England UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
This is the first time we met Albert & Harold Steptoe. Life on Oil Drum Lane is hard and they don't have much money but they do have each other. Harold is still living at home with his father in his 30's, running the rag & bone business and looking after his father....they don't make comedy like this anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars good entertainment even now, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
This is the first series and you can see how the program caught on, good entertainment even now!
dlanor

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic item well worth the price

Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD]
Steptoe & Son - Series One [1962] [DVD] by Harry H. Corbett (DVD - 2004)
5.11