5.0 out of 5 stars A TV Serial that is High Art
Now available on 7 DVDs, comprising all 26 episodes plus several hours of additional features, this most celebrated and splendid of BBC TV serials was the brainchild of adapter and producer Donald Wilson. Its world-wide success is known to all, but some might not be aware of the following: -
Donald Wilson was denied funds to produce it for ten years. Had there been...
Published on 15 Nov 2005 by John Austin

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls at the turn
Published on 18 May 2011 by WSH

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls at the turn, 18 May 2011
WSH (NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Forsyte Saga - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [1967] (DVD)
The first half of this saga is excellent (4/5), as Soames (Eric Porter is wonderful in the role) the Man of Property is brought into focus and the family divisions defined. The casting is impeccable (New Zealander Nyree Dawn Porter - no relation - notably) and the production, even after more than forty years, looks well. But the second half is weak (2/5). Many of the earlier characters have gone or been shifted into the background, and Soames is no longer a vehicle for satire but a saintly, legal handyman drifting towards his dotage. Susan Hampshire is always worth watching, as Fleur, but the stuffing is knocked out of her character, just when it offered to be something. The calibre of acting of the new cast members is patchy and, in some cases (e.g. the inevitably unable "American" character) awful.

D.H.Lawrence, in an important essay on John Galsworthy, published in 1928, thought the Forsyte saga had the makings of something great, as satire, and lamented its collapse into sentimentality and falsehood. We may not altogether agree with his strong verdict, but, if anything, this television version highlights the merits of his argument.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forsyte Saga, 30 April 2009
Gary C. Williams (Marysville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Half the price of the US edition, couldn't pass it up. Watched the whole set in 5 days. It's black and white, but who cares, the print was very good, as was the sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's BBC we like..., 14 Jan 2010
Sonia Sweeney (Shoeburyness, UK) - See all my reviews
I watched the newer version of this Series, played by Damian Lewis as Soammes. I really enjoyed it, but always thought it ended quite abruptly at a turnpoint on Fleur's life. When I found out about the original series, I pinned over it for months, because it was in black and white, and I thought Damian Lewis acting was superb as Soammes. I thought it couldn't get better. But, hey ho, it did. The fact that it is black and white, made me feel like we were really at Victorian times and the reserve and pompness of the characters really portray my idea of a Victorian/Edwardian time. The Soammes played by Eric Potter is not quite unlikable as Damian Lewis' one, and by the time he is 70, you feel, though very relunctantly, like forgiving him for what he did in his youth. All in all, I am totally hooked on it and I still have 2 episodes to go. I have to say that the ealier part of the series, though, is still more thrilling that the later one, the one that focus more on Fleur. Perhaps that's why they never bother to finish it on the newer version of the Forsyte Saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Forsyte Saga, 4 Feb 2010
Mr. David K. Thomas (Bromley, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
It may be old and in glorious monochrome, but this series was brilliantly acted by a wonderful cast. We really enjoyed seeing the whole series again after about forty years, and I have no doubt that in the future we will want to see it again now we have the DVDs.

The whole thing was very reasonably priced by Amazon, and we think it was a real bargain, as with several other sets of TV series we have bought lately, such as Yes, Minister, Mapp and Lucia and the Rumpole of the Bailey series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forsyte in Hindsight, 4 Nov 2011
Along with many long time TV watchers, I remember watching the Forsyte Saga, enthralled by the drama of it all, and the fine acting etc.
Even when the more recent colour version came out, good and all as it was, could not compare with the original series. Or rather the original as I remembered it.
But alas how the mind plays tricks. Having started to watch this series again I am seeing so much more than the first time around.
I was firstly struck by the incredible staginess of the production. There are so many long and meaningful pauses, presumably for dramatic effect, with the camera on big close-ups of the actor's face. And there is no atmosphere, just total silence.It is almost as if the actor is waiting to be prompted.
Some of the acting is completely over the top, especially from the younger women's
performances. Watching these episodes today, makes one appreciate how far television drama has changed over the years. What we took to be powerful drama in those days, looks like melodrama today.
Having said all that, I have to say I am enjoying the nostalgia of it all. The Forsyte Saga is still a saga, and I intend to relive every moment of it, melodrama and all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forsyte Saga black and white, 8 Dec 2009
Wonderful! I loved it as a teenager, and it was fascinating to see it again as an adult. It flags a bit after Fleur's marriage, but Susan Hampshire is the definitive Fleur and a joy to watch. Nyree Dawn Porter captures the wistfulness of Irene beautifully, and I am still in love with Eric Porter. All the cast speak so well. Fine British acting. I'd forgotten how very good the minor characters are - especially the gossipy old aunts. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a Forsyte Fest, 18 Dec 2009
I don't know what I'm going to do when I get to the end of all 26 episodes! I guess it'll be back to boring old telly. I first watched the Forsyte Saga when I was in my teens, and then again when I was 21 and I loved it. I wondered how I would react 35 years later and I've loved it. The only thing that dates it is the 1960's eye make up but I think that adds to its charm, oh and the rape scene that caused such a furore in the 60's was far more effective because of what it left out. It's great to see each scene acted through (and particularly Eric Porter) rather than the current way of cutting bits and putting them together. What's best for me is that I can see how I've mellowed over the years and how I now view the characters with more sympathy and less harshness. It's a good yarn and a brilliant series to have when you just want to watch a bit of telly that you know you'll enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forsyte Sage complete series, 3 April 2010
Ms. M. Argent "Maria Argent" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Fantastic item - brought back so many memories for my 80 year old dad but also gave us the opportunity to watch programmes that both my mum and dad enjoyed in the 60's. The episodes are split into four on each dvd which gives us the opportunity to watch as much or as little as we wish. The quality of these dvds is second to none which makes enjoyable watching. Cannot wait to buy the follow up dvds of Upstairs Downstairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 15 Jan 2010
Mr. J. Carr (Cyprus) - See all my reviews
Over forty years ago I read all the marvellous reports about the Forsyte Saga and considered myself to be the only person in the UK who had not seen it! Thanks to Amazon I was able to purchase the complete series at a great price and I have now enjoyed everything I missed out on all those years ago. Sad to see that many of the great stars who appeared in the Saga are no longer with us but their respective memories live on. I shall be forever grateful to them and of course to Amazon who made it possible. I shall not wait another forty years before I watch it again. Great acting and great entertainment and in case there is someone out there who has not seen it then I say to them "Buy it now" and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why hadn't they the foresight to make it in colour?, 21 Aug 2007
I can vividly remember the panic of Sunday evenings - bath, hairwash, school uniform laid out by 7.15pm or suffer the wrath of Mum. If she missed a second of this series the consequences were dire.
As I watched this DVD I remembered most of the plot, even though I was definitely too young to watch it back in the day. I think I was actually remembering Mum's reactions to the plot and my view of the characters was certainly coloured by her opinion - initially.
Am the only viewer who actually likes Soames? In the novels, after all, he is the main protagonist; not 'Young' (Kenneth More!) Jolyon. I felt that Irene was a cold, manipulative harridan. There is never any excuse for rape, of course, and I share the horror of the British public regarding 'that' scene, but Soames deserved more from her. He couldn't help being brought up unable to articulate his feelings. The way he made up for it by his outpouring of love when he first looked at his beloved Fleur (another undeserving recipient of his affection) was pure poetry.
Let's not forget the peripheral characters. Margaret Tyzack is a revelation as Winifred, a truly modern and sympathetic member of the clan, and the perfect foil for Soames. I loved her for loving him. And the superb Nicholas Pennell as Michael Mont, churning up with jealousy inside yet remaining so jolly and loving on the outside. Fabulous.
Anyway, this sweeping saga is utter joy. Forget the oddly colourless recent ITV version. Watch this and remember how it all used to be.And, alas, will never be again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›