5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Ants., 21 Feb 2006
Richard "Chappo" (Rochester NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Adam & The Ants album and I am delighted that it finally got the remastered CD release that it deserved.
I have a battered copy of the original vinyl record and was a little dismayed when the previous CD release of 'Dirk..' had a different track listing and included different mixes of the tracks.
This release fixes all those gripes and it sounds wonderful, the packaging is fantastic too. Kudos to all involved. This is the way all resissues should be handled!
I love the whole album. It still sounds fresh to this day. The songs have a slightly dark humour running through them, but the album manages to avoid being depressing.
The thing that made the Ants stand out among a lot of the other "punk" (for want of a better word) acts around at the time was that they could actually play their instruments. This is evident all the way through and in my mind this is the best ever line up of the Ants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic--a must for all Antpeople!, 12 July 2004
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
Gorgeously remastered, beautifully produced, lovingly packaged...I cannot say enough about how wonderful this--along with the other two new (5th July 2004) rereleases of Kings of the Wild Frontier and Prince Charming--disc is. I haven't gotten finished with this one yet, as I'm slowly enjoying them in chronological order (and Dirk is probably my favorite, especially here, as it includes tracks from the Antmusic EP and other rare Do It Records tracks never before available on CD--as far as I'm aware)...but I'm sure the other two are equally fantastic. So many of the original Ant circle are involved (mainly, it appears, Adam's sidekick Marco Pirroni) that these projects are absolute gems. I urge all Antfans to snap up the whole set of three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reissue of post-punk classic from 1979...., 22 May 2005
Jason Parkes "We're all Frankies'" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
'Dirk Wears White Sox' (a title that would be used later in the chorus of 'Don't Be Square (Be There)' from 'Kings of the Wild Frontier') was the sole album from the original Adam & the Ants- a band who would largely become Bow Wow Wow and who were more famous at the time for appearing in Derek Jarman's 'Jubilee.'
This budget-priced reissue, released alongside the great 'Kings...' (1980) & the popular 'Prince Charming' (1981)is in many ways greater than the commercial peak Ant is known for. This is probably due to the fact that no hits are here, so we don't have the cloud of nostalgia and good feeling get in the way. The other thing is, this collection of songs is a fantastic display of post-punk - sounding not unlike peers such as Subway Sect, Josef-K, The Fall, The Slits & Wire. Thus the angular-guitar-pop on display makes complete sense today in an age of similar sounding acts including Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol & The Futureheads...
This version of 'Dirk...', overseen by long-time Ant-associate Marco Pirroni, offers up a wonderfully-packaged, remastered collection that not only includes the original 1979-album, but also the singles 'Zerox'/'Whip in My Valise' & 'Cartrouble/Kick' alongside a 1982 e.p. of remixed-tracks from the 'Dirk'-era. It's notable that two popular acts from the 1990s would cover songs from here- Elastica covering 'Cleopatra' (on a bonus-single with their debut) and Nine Inch Nails covering 'Physical' on their 1992 'Broken' e.p.
'Dirk...' is a great achievment and shows that Ant can do the indie-thing with ease- here it is perfected, so it makes sense that like Green Gartside (Scritti Politti) he shifted to pop from indie/post-punk/D.I.Y. Ant not only composes all the songs here, but he produces the record and plays several instruments alongside the tight-band that also includes David Barbe, Matthew Ashman & Andrew Warren.
I love it all, highlights include 'Tabletalk', 'Never Trust a Man (With Egg On His Face)- which is very Blur, 'Catholic Day' (a companion to Magazine's 'Motorcade'), 'Cartrouble (Parts 1 & 2)' & 'Animals and Men' (which predates The Art of Noise in the futurist-alluding stakes!).
An excellent collection, an album that deserves to find a posthumous audience in the climate with a penchant for post-punk and ultimately something that if released today by a new band would have the N.M.E. excited, provided the singer could get a drugs-problem and/or celebrity girlfriend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirk's White Sox Are Shining Brightly, 14 April 2005
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
I don't really know what I can say about this album that hasn't been said time & time again. It's historic first full length release by Adam & the Ants and it's only a glimpse of the creative genius of Stu Goddard. Right before Malcolm (Buffalo Gals) Mclaren came in and stole the band and turned them into Bow Wow Wow -LOL!- Anyways, this was probably the best material that lineup ever played and made way for the entrance of Marco Pirroni who with Adam Ant redefined so many genres of rock. Anyways back to this album. I love every minute of this and living in the USA did not get to actually hear the original version of this album for many years since all we had was the 1983 CBS version that was re-mixed and contained a little different track list. I actually believe that I like this version best since it contains all the tracks from both versions. The UK original lacked cartrouble(single version), Kick, Zerox & Whip In My Valise. Now I feel complete. I believe any one who appreciates rock in any form should have the first 3 Ant albums in their collection or risk not enjoying life to the fullest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh today, 6 July 2004
Matthew (Tunbridge Wells, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
If you want to know where indie music got all its ideas from over the last 20 years, whether directly or indirectly, look no further than here. Still fresh today although a few people may feel uncomfortable with some of the lyrics and take them the wrong way.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the 'Family of Noise', 5 Sep 2004
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
I do not need to present a critical analysis of this legendary album. I still possess my vinyl copy of the original 1979 release. To hear these songs in the same package as the 'Ant Music' EP, and the commencement of Adam's work with Marco is a joy. As a longstanding Antfan, I need not recommend this to other Antfans too highly. Those of you who are lucky enough to possess copies of 'Madam Stan' should know this album anyway, as it contains blueprints of quite a few of the songs, but this new version with Marco-power should delight anyone who wishes to explore the Antz pre-1980.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be overlooked, 19 Feb 2014
Ants first album. Aside from the well known tracks on later album there are some gems on here. The remaster is great, sounds so fresh and for its time the production is polished.

9 plan failed and Friends are my favorites - though the whole album is a must for anyone who likes pre-mainstream Ant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting., 16 May 2013
Phil T (Gravenhurst. UK) - See all my reviews
Got this really for my wife-who was a fan back in the day. Surprised me how fresh it sounds, and whilst showing signs of later hit singles-its quite a mixture of styles.Clever lyrics for a young man i feel this album should be listened to by serious music fans who might have underestimated this particular debut set.Its all in there, rock pop and of course enough to please the Ant People.

5.0 out of 5 stars From my youth, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
This always was my favorite album by Adam and the Ants. The sound is raw and fresh. There are hints of Adam Ant's later sound, but a lot more punky too.
I went to see Adam Ant reunited with the rest of the band from this time. He performed along with a few others from that era at a benefit gig last year. This is the stuff his old fans love, and what they get on stage now. It is great to have it so well digitally remastered, with no crackle from vinyl.
The vendor was very fast in dispatching it too. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars What Do You Mean, You Don't Like Adam and the Antz?, 17 Dec 2011
The Day I Met God! Only audibly of course, was the day the original incarnation of the Ants (like so many before him) were introduced to my airwaves by Mr John Peel, sometime in 1977/78. I knew of Adam and had met met Jordan (no not that Jordan - the original - look her up) through my regular trips in to Sed's but his live performances strangely eluded me until the Xerox tour in 79 to promote Dirk! The wait was worth it! Dirk Wears White Sox doesn't disappoint in any way. This is not the stuff of Prince Charming in his Goody Two Shoes, rather, it looks at the darker side of Adams writing style which in turn reflects the darker times and subjects we now know he was facing in those days. Dirk is the only album produced by the first incarnation and as such it represents a one off masterpiece which should grace any collection. If you've bought The Very Best of and were sufficiently intrigued by Car Trouble and Whip in My Valise to look up Dirk - go ahead, you won't be disappointed.

Dirk Wears White Sox
Dirk Wears White Sox by Adam & The Ants (Audio CD - 2004)