4.0 out of 5 stars Greyfriars Bobby
I saw this film on tv many years ago and always enjoyed it. Living not many miles from Edinburgh I have visited the actual graveyard and seen the statue to the dog "Bobby". I have taken my kids and explained the story to them and they were fasinated by it.
Published on 20 Feb 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Not appreciated for the modern day kids.
It was okay, seen it before, but thought the children in another flat would like it, they were 7 and 3 yrs old, the oldest said it was boring, and the youngest said, I want to watch sponge bob.!
Published 18 days ago by joan martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Greyfriars Bobby, 20 Feb 2004
By A Customer
Although not a dog lover this is one film that brings home to me how man and dog really can understand each other and form a relationship between each other that at times is not easy for others to understand.
My girlfriend, after watching this film wanted to go out and buy a dog. This is how the film affects people.
This is a sad film, a very funny film and a happy film.
If you ignore that it does not have the technical film makers advantages on film making in todays market and remember this was made in 1960 you will enjoy it. Yes its rough by todays standard but its still a great film.
The scots lingo may make it hard for some people to inderstand at first, as my girlfriend found out but she became so ingrossed in it she ignored me all through it.
This is an old style film but its a great film that can be enjoyed by the family and if you can then pay a visit to Edinburgh and see where this all took place even better.
Well worth getting and watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic film for families with a heart and dog lovers, 17 Feb 2008
J. A. Williams "James Williams" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) (DVD)
Having been to Edinburgh and seen the statue of Bobby, this film had some meaning for me. Film makers - including Disney - just don't make films like this anymore, probably because society has changed so much since this was filmed in 1960.

There is no violence, no swearing, the dog is real, and there is no animation - it's a sweet film that'll gently tug on your heart strings. It's innocence is so very touching and it's a classic example of the type of films my parents grew up watching and that I can now appreciate.

If you're a dog lover then it'll warm your heart, and if you want to show your children a sweet film that will show them a bit of history, won't frighten them, or teach them bad habits then Greyfriar's Bobby is just the ticket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney at it's best, 15 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This is, without doubt, Disney at it's best with live action. The characters add to the story but the real star is Greyfriars Bobby himself. If you've got children they will love this and most adults will to also. I guarantee there will not be a dry eye in the house at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tear jerker filled with Innocence And hope, 2 July 2004
This review is from: Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) (DVD)
Im so happy this is now going to be available on DVD, Being part scottish and a lover of all the scottish terrier breeds mainly the omnipotent Cairn terrier this film sits well. If your spirits need lifting or you need a good hangover cure get this film. In a world of selfishness and egotism this restores ones spirit and faith in things innocent and good I challenge anyone not to be uplifted by this classic true story...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Delightful, 18 Mar 2000
By A Customer
An amazing movie that takes a legend and makes it so real.
Though the terrier used was not a skye, little 'Bobby' manages to convince us he is just that-a loyal, playful, intelligent skye. I have watched this movie so many times and still continue to enjoy it again and again. The only non anamation disney that left its mark since childhood. My ALL TIME FAVORITE.
I highly recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyalty For Life And Beyond, 2 Oct 2010
I. Cuthbert (Gillingham, Kent UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) (DVD)
I was born and grew up in Edinburgh; from an early age I was familiar with the story of the little dog that kept vigil over his master's grave. Bobbie kept up his vigil for fourteen years in all weathers until he too left this life, to be buried near to his late master. My father showed me the statue of Bobbie with its drinking bowl for dogs, located in the angle made by the Candlemaker Row (pronounced "raw" by locals) and George IV Bridge when I was about four years old. This is opposite the entrance to Greyfriars Kirkyard where Bobbie is himself buried near the gates; as a dog Bobbie could not be buried on consecrated ground.

The film is near perfect, free from mawkish sentiment and cheap emotional tricks. I cannot find fault with it in any respect: writing, acting, directing - it captures precisely a time and the feelings of real people.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars greyfriars bobby, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) (DVD)
This is an excellent film for any age but the DVD has been purchased for a young boy who has never heard this story before and I am sure he will enjoy it and encourage him to look for the statue of Greyfriars Bobby the first time he is visiting Edinburgh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yippee, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) (DVD)
Thank goodness I have a good copy of this lovely film again. The last one was worn out. A super story, a super film for a rainy sunday afternoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the Bobby, 8 May 2004
Rhonda E Layne (Edinburgh via Ipswich) - See all my reviews
I am English and moved up to Scotland to be with my boyfriend. As part of immersing me in Scottish folklore and history, I was taken to the pub, Greyfriars Bobby, and read the story.
I then ordered the video from Amazon. Superb. I have watched it dozens of times, cried everytime.
Excellent film only let down by a few historical glitches which don't follow the real story.
Well worth viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) (DVD)
Enjoyed this old film,cannot think of anything else to say,other than reiteratate how much I enjoyed it,yes yes yes yes

Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961)
Greyfriars Bobby [DVD] (1961) by Don Chaffey (DVD - 2006)
6.50