5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes...
Published on 16 July 2004 by cosmeticpolemic

3.0 out of 5 stars A typhoon of fresh air!!!!!!!!!!
Scotland's answer to Talking Heads?. Mmmm..maybe?
Glasgow seems to be a breeding ground for the errant rock group,the mischievous melting pot of indie-rock amid the high rise bustle of the great northern lands.
Published on 16 July 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes..., 16 July 2004
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
Always searching for something a little out of the ordinary at a time where a great deal of bands behave like glorified tribute acts to each other, I was so pleased to discover DDIHC. I first heard of them when I saw the Zutons live on their joint tour; I had imagined from the name that they were yet another local 'emo' band, but it made me giggle a little so I stuck around to watch them.
There are few other indie bands who have ever made me want to dance so much! My fears were completely dissipated. Witty lyrics accompanied by energetic tunes flood through this album; even if DDIHC are not quite to your taste you cannot deny how infectious they are. My personal favourite songs on here are the sing-a-long 'Paul Newman's eyes', the confessional yet still upbeat 'I Love you 'Cause I Have to' and 'Lounger', the latter of which has huge potential to become my summer anthem.
Despite obvious/lazy comparisions to Belle and Sebastian (they're a Scottish guitar-pop band, dontchaknow?) and Dexy's Midnight Runners (funny voice, tunes that could be described as 'stompers') I think that DDIHC have gotten the balance right and produced an original, extremely listenable album (it's not been out of my CD player since I bought it). I disagree slightly with the review above that says you'll like this if you're a fan of Killers/Ordinary Boys, but that's probably just a matter of personal taste.
Definitely check this lot out though, you'll never know how you lived without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1979 re-visited, 20 Aug 2004
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
Eeeeeee, it,s like were back in 1979. Pop songs with jerky staccato rhythmic nuances, a vocalist with an angular off key voice. Songs about domestic ennui and seventies icon Paul Newman. It's like the Vapours. Members and Leyton Buzzards never went away. It's given a contemporary sheen with references to celebrity culture and the emasculation of the male but overall this is an album with an invigorating sagaciously retro edge. For the second time in not a very long time I find myself despite my better instinct really enjoying music that looks backwards rather than forwards. (The other album was "Free the Bees".)
As ever it's the quality of the songs that really does the trick. The irresistible elongated fizzing keyboard notes on the vivacious "I Love You Cause I Have To", or the irrepresibly scratchy guitars, which remind me worryingly of Haircut 100 on "Lounger" which tells us that Harold was shot in 1066 with a long pointy stick. I laughed anyway. "Godhopping" has a jaunty tumbling piano melody while "Apples and Oranges" has fantastic counterpoint vocal lines along with its quirky sounding keyboards. The stop start verse on "Paul Newman's Eyes" gives way to glowing vocal harmonies and leads straight into the more traditional jangleisms of "Pastimes & Lifestyles".
"Celebrity Sanctum", "Somewhat off the Way", "Modern Woman" and "Glimpse at the Good Life " are hardly mere filler material but lack the ardent melodic sensibility of the best material on "Dogs die in Hot Cars". This is a hugely enjoyable album .It.s short sharp and occasionally witty and seems instinctively to realise that the real trick with songs like these is to make them melodically edgy with a vivid energy and an eye for a startling couplet. Mission accomplished I,d say. Much better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick any day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont be fooled!, 13 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
When i first heard of Dogs die in hot cars i was terribly put off by their name. It sounds like the worst kind of EMO punky rubbish imaginable.
DO NOT BE FOOLED!
It was chance that i heard them, and i instantly really liked them. They do have a pop edge to them, catchy fast songs and some fab lyrics esspecially chorus' for Godhopping and Lounger that sound very 80's duran duran/cure on speed.
If you like the Killers, Ordinary boys, then this Scottish 5 peice (i think 5 anyway) is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply awesome!, 29 Dec 2005
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
I originally bought this album out of curiosity- I met one of the band members through a mutual friend and said I'd check out their album. Over a year later I still absolutely love it! Every song is superb; catchy, energetic, inspired, awesome. "Lounger", "Celebrity Sanctum" and "Apples and Oranges" are probably the highlights, but there are no lowlights or fillers. This is one of the best albums I've bought in years. Dogs Die in Hot Cars deserve to be huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Bloody Refreshing!, 7 Jun 2005
Christopher J. Harrison (St.Simons Island, georgia) - See all my reviews
This album is incredibly tight, quirky, fun, upbeat, wild,interesting, and colorful. Imagine a young Bob Geldof singing with Dexys Midnight Runners, The Talking Heads, XTC, The Cure and anything else great from the 80's. Then modernize it and double the fun factor. These guys are a welcome respite from the Coldplays and Razorlights of our time. They sing with real soul and play thier butts off and every song is witty and incredibly well crafted. Best British Album so far of 2005 hands down. Just barely beating out New Orders new one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A typhoon of fresh air!!!!!!!!!!, 16 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
Scotland's answer to Talking Heads?. Mmmm..maybe?
Dogs Die follow Mogwai,Franz Ferdinand and SCORES of others onto the major league with a very Scottish record , mixing styles and influences with some sharp,perceptive lyrics.
Summery in feel but without the dire breezy empty lyrics of the mainstream..this will be a welcome addition to anyone's record collection

5.0 out of 5 stars gloriously marvelous, 18 Feb 2005
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
saw them randomly onthe first night of their tour in humble tubridge wells and fell in love with them.. happy summery and above all interesting..very catchy too.. and as has been mentioned earlier, great live. very witty lyrics in places, and even the track whichjmany have said lets it down; celebbrity ssanctum, is well worth it for its beautifully love-struck singing of lucy liuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....one to be bought and enjoyed endlessly

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 16 Feb 2006
Conor McCauley (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
This is a great piece of work from a musically gifted band. I'd have to agree that all the songs on the album are as impressive as the next, with the highlighs being lounger and apples and oranges. They've created they're own sound, sort of a fusion of 80's and modern, the lysics aren't half catchy either, very nice!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dogs sadly did die in the big music car :(, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
Well back in the crazy mid-00s, we were talking up Dogs die in hot cars alongside Franz Ferdinand and Futureheads a a northern new wave reformation.

Sadly these boys and girl never even had the longevity to disapoint as much as their contemparies did with their later albums. As Dogs .. disolved during the making of their second album ( which the demoes can now be downloaded for free at their website) .

But back to their debut album, aside from the dire Paul Newmans Eyes this is a golden nugget of jerky ryhthms, bonkers lyrics and grand choruses. They sound like the best of British but still have their own heart beating throughout.

Just buy it, its really cheap and dont let their ridiculous name put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still listening to this album, 12 Mar 2008
F. Newington "fiz222" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Please Describe Yourself (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it came out 4 years ago and I still enjoy it. Buy it now !

Please Describe Yourself
Please Describe Yourself by Dogs Die in Hot Cars (Audio CD - 2006)