4.0 out of 5 stars A good litter tray for the price
The Van Ness litter tray is a good litter tray at a very reasonable price. It is easy to use and clean and I'm very happy with it. It's a good size, the cats like it and I think it's a pretty good litter tray over all. Nothing flashy, but it does its job well.

Published on 30 Mar 2011 by The Truth

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointed
I have had two old old Van Ness (CP7) for about 7/8 years now with no problems and very happy with the product. When I needed to replace them & after reading previous reviews from Amazon for the new product and from past experience I didn't hesitate in purchasing another two.

Published on 12 Mar 2012 by Frank

4.0 out of 5 stars A good litter tray for the price, 30 Mar 2011
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)

I like the fact that the bottom tray is very deep, which means I can fill it with plenty of litter (important if your cats a scrabbler or digger).

Also, because its so deep, the high sides mean there's no mishaps with urine hitting the hood and trickling down and out of the box (I understand this is a problem for some cat owners). Any stray urine hits the sides of the bottom tray and runs straight into the litter.

The filters are bit annoying sometimes, as every now and then my cats decide to claw at them and they're tricky to get back in place, but that's a minor niggle: Van Ness Replacement Filter F6

Also the front flap/door comes off a little too easily perhaps. The cats have never knocked it off - but I constantly do when I'm cleaning the unit out. However, again, it's a minor frustration that takes about 2 seconds to put right as it just clicks back into place..

A handle on top means the litter tray is easy to manoeuvre about and I find the unit very easy to wash and keep clean. There are 4 slips which keep the hood firmly in place - and I also use these to clip the litter liners in place too.

Just in case: It stands to reason, if you're looking at litter trays, you might also be looking for cat litter - if so I can thoroughly recommend this stuff: Cat Litter Cats Best Okoplus Clumping 15kg is an organic/natural biodegradable clumping litter that can be flushed down the toilet, and is safe for you, your cats and the environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly!, 5 Jan 2012
Amazon-Addict! "E" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
Having five indoor cats, one of which is a Maine Coon and large...I needed a larger cat-litter box mainly for him as he was having trouble fitting in the medium sized one of this model. This was a great price and large and adequate for him :) Very pleased with this and delivery was swift!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
This has stopped my cats from missing the spot. Easy to use. Seems robust enough. Only thing for the manufacturer would be to make the clips not equidistant on both ends. The current set up allows the owner to clip it back to front which looks fine but the cats can get locked in on fail to get in altogether. It would be good to not be able to fit it on wrong way round. Otherwise it is great

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 17 July 2011
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
bought to replace 15 year old Van Ness litter tray, well made perfect size for all cats, my cat loves it got blue and white version should last another 15 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disapointed, 12 Mar 2012
Frank (High Wycombe, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)

When I recieved the replacements I was Very Dissapointed with the flimsiness of the base (I had the white cover with the same white base). When litter is placed (8 Lts) the sides move about like carrying a box made with jelly, I feel wet cardboard is more sturdier a material than this item.

Be Very Wary when buying this Item, when filled moving said item is very hazardous because of the base side movement. There are far sturdier litter trays on the market with the benificail high sides to stop the usual litter mess and pee dribble.

I have thrown these useless trays away after two weeks from purchasing them when I bought replacements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for larger cats, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
I bought this because, frankly, one of my two cats is too fat to fit through the door of the litter tray that they had been using for almost four years.

I spent quite some time, online and in the real world, looking for a replacement with as wide a door as possible and this was the one I ended up choosing.

A major reason for me getting this one is that the door is wider at the bottom than the top. Why other litter trays have a door that's wider at the top, I just don't know - clearly trays such as those aren't designed by people familiar with a cat's shape!

Positive points (other than the wide door):

It's vast! I was worried that my larger cat wouldn't be able to move around inside and would have to reverse out of it but he has no problems and comes out head first.

The carrying handle seems robust. Quite often, litter trays don't seem to be built to be carried around with litter (and whatnot) inside. This handle seems stronger than most.

Negative points:

The plastic of the tray/hood feels very thin and is more flexible than the old tray. While I don't think it's going to break that easily, it's not as solid as the litter tray it has replaced.

The plastic clips holding the lid in place feel like they will break if I'm not careful. The lid has to be fitted 'just so' before the clips will lock and I fear that they may break if I don't get it right.

In conclusion:

I am very pleased with this litter tray. For all my worries about it's (relative) fragility, with careful use it should last a good, long time. Best of all is the value: At much less than £20 (including overnight delivery to my workplace) it was half the price of some other trays I saw (which weren't as big). There may be stronger, more robust litter trays out there but they'll cost you much more money and won't be so big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kennelgat Van Ness litter tray, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
Excellent product...plastic flimsier than more expensive products but perfectly adequate. Gizmo, a 20wk kitten took to it immediately, no probs with the flap and now no probs with scattered litter. Fast delivery. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars roomy, durable, and easy to clean, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
Excellent product. This gives our large cats loads of room to move and turn round. They seem to appreciated the privacy/security the swing door gives them (having a smoky semi see-through finish means they can check their surroundings on entry and exit). the base is deep, so a good load of litter can be put in it when required. we already have two of these - we can 'mix and match' the tops and bottoms so there is always a clean set - but they are getting well used as they are about 6 years old now. this latest one is lighter and not as robust as the previous purchases, but I'm sure it will be just as useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars very tidy, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
I bought this because our two cats like to do the breast stroke in litter boxes and I got sick of standing on cat litter! It keeps it all in where it should be and also copes quite well if they spray the walls of the box. 9 times out of 10 it will hold the urine in the box and not drip through like the last box I used, but if your cat has this dirty habit of spraying the sides you will find urine will get trapped where the lid joins with the base- mine hums well before the litter needs to be changed. That's not a product fault though. This is the second different litter box of this design I've used and it's the best I've used.

5.0 out of 5 stars litter tray, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan (Misc.)
as expected very good quality, large enough for our nfc. arrived well packaged and very quickly, no problems at all

VAN NESS Extra Giant Enclosed Pan