on 16 August 2012
I like and trust Dewalt tools so I ordered this saw, it was delivered quickly and ahead of the projected delivery date. It was well packaged and in a tough plastic site case with a fitted 3 pin plug and included was a Metal cutting blade.

On opening the package I was anxious to see how the quick change blade system worked . It is one of it's most attractive features and requires no tools , just open the locking latch and pop a new blade in , close the latch and its locked in and ready to work again . Ideal if you want a sharp blade to continue working , or need to tackle different material types .

On examining the saw prior to use or connecting to the power , I couldn't figure out why the blade wouldn't lock in .
Some creative thinking and a little head scratching and I realised that the blade release /locking lever was incorrectly assembled, it was resting on the wrong part of the catch. I undid the large cross head screw under the guard and the locking assembly lifted out. I reassembled it in the correct position and all was perfect.
I was a little surprised by the error , but I guess if you make thousands of tools , occasionally one gets bolted together incorrectly. It was easy to put right and took me about 2 mins after I figured the problem out.

Having tested the saw on a variety of materials it is very powerful and the variable speed makes it easy to control. I expect to get years of service from it . I would recommend using the original Dewalt blades which are actually more economical to use since they last longer and cut well . Blade prices vary wildly , so shop around .

I highly recommend this product, I still gave it 5 stars , but I would advise any purchaser to check the blade lock before plugging in the power ..
on 2 July 2012
I bought this primarily for cutting up firewood. It only came with one blade (for metal cutting) which I thought was a bit cheap. But bought the blades I needed and have been using it lots since. It is quite heavy but actually surprisingly easy to use. The quality is good and is just what I need - I am harvesting coppiced willow mainly for a woodburner. It will do a surprising thickness of wood. It does get hot if used a lot but that is not surprising. I am very happy with it
on 16 August 2013
Having recently moved house I'd been looking around for a power saw to use on a few projects including demolishing a climbing frame and building a hen run. I'd researched prices and reviews of reciprocating saws here on Amazon and handled a couple of similar saws in a well known UK DIY store and decided to take the plunge with this Dewalt saw.

The seller was excellent (Big Red Toolbox) and it arrived in 2 days at a great price. The saw comes in a heavy duty plastic carrying case with instructions and a schematic diagram of the saw presumably for if ever it needs to be taken apart to be repaired. The case also contains a multipurpose blade for wood/metal although I had also purchased a spare set of blades (Bosch Keo) which are an excellent addition and can be stored easily in the saw's case. It has a 2 metres long mains cable which is a bit of challenge to squeeze into the case if you ant it to close easily.

Preparing the saw for its first use is simplicity itself. The instructions for fitting the blade are straightforward but worth reading for the sake of safe usage of what is after all a very powerful tool. The mechanism for fitting the blade is effective if a little fiddly to use. I read in another review that as the lever is plastic there's a risk of it breaking but I reckon you'd have to be pretty cack-handed to do that, in which case you ought not to be using a saw like this in the first place!

Eager to give it a go I fitted a wood cutting blade and tried it on an old piece of 2 by 4 I had lying around. "Hot knife through butter" is the phrase that comes to mind! I also quickly appreciated that this is a powerful beast and if you don't handle it properly you could easily detach yourself from a finger or two in the blink of an eye. So safety is the watchword here.

I then set to demolishing the climbing frame which consisted of 6 inch diameter uprights, metal rungs for the ladder and nailed planks. I changed the blade to a metal cutting one and went at one of the rungs. it went through easily at first and then met a bit of resistance. But it wasn't until I had cut through the whole thing that I realised that what I thought was a hollow tube actually had a threaded bolt running through. It made short work of that however.

Some of the timber planks were close to a fence which made it a little difficult to get close up to with the blade. But this is where the ability to position the blade in one of 4 settings came into its own. I thought that this facility was just a bit of a gimmick but it's actually really useful for cutting in awkward spaces. I used an all purpose blade which sliced through the timber and the nails in no time at all.

As I said earlier this is a powerful machine which was amply demonstrated when at one point it gave me quite a kick back when I hadn't positioned the blade correctly on the piece of wood I was about to slice up. I ended up bending the blade a bit - easily bent straight again - but be warned.

So all in all I am more than chuffed with this Dewalt saw. It's solid and therefore no light weight so can't be used one handed (not that you should do this anyway) It's well built and the yellow colour means you're unlikely to lose it! And it comes in a very handy carry case. With proper handling this saw should give years of service.
on 16 September 2012
The Dewalt DW304PK was a replacement and has proved to be an excellent buy. I bought a budget reciprocating saw from Homebase a few years back and it was just not up to any job and of course no spares or support. I just wished I hadn't skimped in the first place.

I read a number of reviews online before purchasing and compared similar products for specification and cost. It was this or the Makita equivalent. I found a great deal for the Dewalt on Amazon.

The Dewalt is a balanced, easy to use, powerful and versatile tool, it cuts quickly and quietly with minimum vibration through a range of materials. It looks and feels great to use with a lengthy lead. It comes in a very sturdy box with space for spare blades
The keyless blade change is excellent
The saw is however only as good as the blades. My top tip is to invest in good quality saw blades either Dewalt or Bosch as they will cut swiftly and last so much longer.
I bought a Dewalt blade set on Amazon, fantastic value.

Great for the garden, get the right blade and it will cut through branches easily and far more safely than a chainsaw.
I sliced up an old shed for disposal easily with the combo blade tackling wood and nails. With the metal cutting blade I cut up an old motorbike frame in next to no time.
A tough quality tool, wish I had bought this saw years ago as it's so handy.
on 25 August 2014
Bought this for building raised vegetable beds and a summerhouse using old decking and pallets. I thought it would also be useful for trimming hedges and trees in the orchard. It's very heavy and that takes a bit of getting used to. Also it starts immediately the trigger is pressed, there is no safety lock feature which is something to consider if you have children around. When starting a cut it has quite a 'kick back' which can make it difficult to start precisely on a marked line, it also cuts very slowly unless you apply quite a bit of pressure as it cuts. Even with a fine blade the cut edges are rough so its really only a tool for initial rough cutting, not neat, precise edges. Because of its size, weight and the lack of a trigger lock I'm sure how safe it will be for trimming trees and hedges. A well made powerful tool but with design faults and limitations.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 February 2014
My loft water tank was too heavy to move and had been replaced by a plastic one. It must have been in the loft for decades - very thick metal.

I bought the dewalt saw and some bi-metal blades (DeWalt DT2353QZ ) in a pack of five. I only need 1 blade this thing just sliced the tank to pieces though the rivits, corners - may as well have been plywood. Brilliant and the blades are a doodle to put in and take out.

Comes in a sturdy plastic case.
on 6 December 2012
A well received product, in fact a lovely bit of kit as we say in the building trade. And even better when its at this price. Buy it, that's all l can say.
on 6 January 2013
I ordered this product for use in DIY mainly, cutting sheet materials, stud wall demolition etc. I've been using it for a week now and am very impressed with it.

Couple of points as follows:
1 - Comes in a really good, hard case. Solid fastenings and room inside for spare blades. Looks like it will last.
2 - Blade change is really easy. Pull the spring loaded yellow tab out (you can see this in the picture) insert the blade.
3 - There are 4 blade positions (perpendicular and facing either way). This is really useful for flush cutting, and the reason I picked this over the Makita equivalent.
4 - Cord is a good length, so doesn't get in the way when cutting.

Only downside is that it comes with a single blade, for metal only. I bought a set of Bosch blades (yes they are compatible) on Amazon for about £13 which I would also recommend. (detail below)

Overall, wish I'd have gotten one of these months ago!

Bosch Keo Blades (Pack of 5)
on 14 August 2013
Purchased specifically to cut up odd bits of wood for use in a wood burning stove. (e.g. Pallets, skirting board etc) Has coped easily with varing sized thicknesses of wood. I knew it wouldn't be light in operation but hasn't been too bad to hold. Probably wouldn't want to use it constantly for more than an hour at a time due to the noise and slight vibration in use. Nice case to store and protect it when not in use.
on 20 March 2014
Bought the Dewalt Saw after reading reviews of various models on Amazon to try to cut through some fairly extensive tree stump roots. Did the job although the thickness of root was probably more than the saw was designed to do. It feels sold and powerful although the vibration when cutting was probably more than I anticipated. Happy with its performance to date. Good value for the price.