5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
I have a stack of USB devices (mainly panels for my flight simulator) and needed a neat solution to to move away from lots of trailing wires to my computer.
Published on 23 July 2007 by Al

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But!
Published on 29 Nov 2006 by Isothio

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 23 July 2007
Al (Bahrain (Middle East)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
I considered the Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7 Port Hub as it initially had many favourable reviews. However recently it had got some negative reviews on Amazon. The D-Link had been reviewed in a PC magazine and got high marks.

The dimensions of the D-Link pleasantly surprised me; it's about the size of a chunky mobile phone. It's a powered USB 2.0 compatible hub and the status lights for each port are useful. Good news for me is that it worked straight out of the box with all seven ports used. Definately worth considering as an option. I'll be buying another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last, 3 July 2006
Scary "scaryguitars" (East Sussex. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
At last a hub that works. I've bought five hubs before, some from what appear to be major suppliers of hub's, cables and sundries and I've thrown every one away. This is the first one that has run my web-cam and every other thing I plug into it. It's also the first one to give me the connection speed that the makers claim. Buy one you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 31 May 2008
Andy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
just plug it in and you are away.

notes
* you must separate your USB devices into fast and slow. In my case fast includes external hard drive and webcam. slow includes mouse and keyboard. Only plug fast or slow devices into your hub. if you mix them, your slow devices will slow down your fast ones.
* it requires its own mains socket for power. (well it would - you can't get power for all 7 devices down the single cable that comes from your computer).

5.0 out of 5 stars A neat and efficient piece of kit, 28 May 2008
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
I have previously used a belkin 7 port USB2.0 hub and had intermittent problems with connectivity. I checked the net and came across this hub. I read the reviews on Amazon and made a purchase. The reviews were spot on and I am delighted to confirm that it delivers on all ports at all times and is totally reliable. I have since, thrown my Belkin hub away, my only regret is not knowing about the D-Link DUB-H7 sooner. I strongly recommend it to anyone who is considering purchasing a hub.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But!, 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
Plugged in my DUB-H7 whilst the computer was on and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately I turned my computer off at the end of the day and found it would not reboot the next day unless I unplugged the Hub! After hanging on the phone (free phone I hope) to DLink support for over half an hour, all they could suggest was that my computers BIOS didn't like the hub. So I had to upgrade my BIOS to see if this fixed the problem. It worked, but anyone who's ever tried it - upgrading BIOS on slightly older machines can be very "exciting". This may be the case for all Hubs and not just the DLink units. It did work fine on my laptop with no problems - just a word of warning for people with older machines!

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin!!, 1 Mar 2008
Colin "(52)" (UK and Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
over the years I have bought many different types of hub, mini-hubs, powered hubs etc etc. This one is the best i have ever used. No bigger then it needs to be, and so far it has worked perfectly.
Only minor negative comment - which is true of most accessories - can't the AC adaptor be smaller? for a 500ma adaptor it seems huge. Nokia at least have started to make smaller adaptors/chargers for their phones. Would be nice to see other manufacturers follow suit. The adaptor is as big as the hub itself!!!

Do not be worried about the comment from a reviewer that if you plug a USB1.0 device it will slow all ports to USB1.0 speed, - That is a feature of USB and all hubs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Ask For Anything Else..., 18 Jan 2009
D. G. Hillman - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
I've been using one of these hubs for a number of months now and never had a problem. I run my printer, Smartphone Dock, external hard drive and webcam through it permanently. This leaves the USB ports on the computer available for ad hoc connections. It does exactly what it should - exactly what I bought it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Sep 2007
Paul Johnson "Dog" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
I've tried a lot of cheapo USB hubs, some OK, some don't work, some work for a bit then get unreliable. I've got a D-link router which has proved to be pretty good so I thought I'd stick with them for this powered hub and so far not disappointed - works really well - no problem. Perhaps not the prettiest bit of kit in the world, but rock solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent but beware, 21 Sep 2006
L. simpson "skankie" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
a excellent small product. please do beware even though the product works with the usb 1.1 system and the usb 2.0. if you connect the box up through a usb 1.1 port,all 7 usb slots will only run at usb 1.1.or if you have the box connected to a usb 2.0 port and have six usb 2.0 and one usb 1.1 hardwares,all seven will only run at usb 1.1.

have all slots with usb 2.0 only,and watch the baby go!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Appears solidly built but problems arose later, 9 Sep 2009
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External (Electronics)
I bought 3 to replace a number of hubs from another manufacturer, after reading a very positive review elsewhere (probably Amazon US). Those older hubs had at times been problemmatic for reasons unknown, but possibly PC-related.

The D-Link hubs use the standard USB 2.0 B-type connector and seem to work a little faster than the ones I used to have. They are quite small, do not run hot and the only initial criticism I have is a small one - the design allows all port lights to be on even if the port is unused or the attached device is switched off.

I tend to leave my desktop PC permanently on and only reboot when necessary. These hubs conflicted with the BIOS on my current PC, and also with my previous one, and refuse to allow it to boot when connected - disconnect the hub and the PC boots. This can happen with other brands of hub too, but will not effect all PCs equally.

After 3 months' use, I have found that one or more ports on 2 of 3 hubs (purchased a few weeks apart) have failed, but if disconnected from PC and mains power and allowed to cool, they usually appear to recover within a few hours. This is extremely annoying as it means either having to buy a spare hub (or two) or not using all ports on any one hub, to allow devices to be moved between ports.

Update, after 6 months' ownership:
After rebooting my system for any reason, I have found that at times ALL my external devices connected between these 3 hubs were missing but, when some were connected to my PC's available USB ports those would be found but the remainder not. At other times, some of the devices connected to these hubs were found but others not. A third situation would be that the devices connected to a single hub could be missed, but others were found. Moving devices around between the hubs might help sometimes, depending upon the number of ports on a particular hub I felt I could trust. I even switched the hubs around so that different hubs were used for different types of devices than were previously arranged. That had no benefit.

Towards the end of the 6-month period I bought a new PC, a brand other than that I had used before and the same situation continued - the hubs were sometimes unreliable. Ultimately, I bought a new hub of another brand and reverted to some of the hubs I had used previously. The problems are over!

It is clear that these are not reliable and cannot therefore be trusted. If you have one that has worked since purchase, you may have been lucky. If you are thinking of buying, I would suggest you consider another brand.