5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
I have a stack of USB devices (mainly panels for my flight simulator) and needed a neat solution to to move away from lots of trailing wires to my computer.
Published on 23 July 2007 by Al

3.0 out of 5 stars Appears solidly built but problems arose later
I bought 3 to replace a number of hubs from another manufacturer, after reading a very positive review elsewhere (probably Amazon US). Those older hubs had at times been problemmatic for reasons unknown, but possibly PC-related.

Published on 9 Sept. 2009 by Andy_atGC

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 23 July 2007
Al (Bahrain (Middle East)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
I considered the Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7 Port Hub as it initially had many favourable reviews. However recently it had got some negative reviews on Amazon. The D-Link had been reviewed in a PC magazine and got high marks.

The dimensions of the D-Link pleasantly surprised me; it's about the size of a chunky mobile phone. It's a powered USB 2.0 compatible hub and the status lights for each port are useful. Good news for me is that it worked straight out of the box with all seven ports used. Definately worth considering as an option. I'll be buying another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last, 3 July 2006
Scary "scaryguitars" (East Sussex. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
At last a hub that works. I've bought five hubs before, some from what appear to be major suppliers of hub's, cables and sundries and I've thrown every one away. This is the first one that has run my web-cam and every other thing I plug into it. It's also the first one to give me the connection speed that the makers claim. Buy one you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 31 May 2008
Andy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
just plug it in and you are away.

notes
* you must separate your USB devices into fast and slow. In my case fast includes external hard drive and webcam. slow includes mouse and keyboard. Only plug fast or slow devices into your hub. if you mix them, your slow devices will slow down your fast ones.
* it requires its own mains socket for power. (well it would - you can't get power for all 7 devices down the single cable that comes from your computer).

3.0 out of 5 stars Appears solidly built but problems arose later, 9 Sept. 2009
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)

The D-Link hubs use the standard USB 2.0 B-type connector and seem to work a little faster than the ones I used to have. They are quite small, do not run hot and the only initial criticism I have is a small one - the design allows all port lights to be on even if the port is unused or the attached device is switched off.

I tend to leave my desktop PC permanently on and only reboot when necessary. These hubs conflicted with the BIOS on my current PC, and also with my previous one, and refuse to allow it to boot when connected - disconnect the hub and the PC boots. This can happen with other brands of hub too, but will not effect all PCs equally.

After 3 months' use, I have found that one or more ports on 2 of 3 hubs (purchased a few weeks apart) have failed, but if disconnected from PC and mains power and allowed to cool, they usually appear to recover within a few hours. This is extremely annoying as it means either having to buy a spare hub (or two) or not using all ports on any one hub, to allow devices to be moved between ports.

Update, after 6 months' ownership:
After rebooting my system for any reason, I have found that at times ALL my external devices connected between these 3 hubs were missing but, when some were connected to my PC's available USB ports those would be found but the remainder not. At other times, some of the devices connected to these hubs were found but others not. A third situation would be that the devices connected to a single hub could be missed, but others were found. Moving devices around between the hubs might help sometimes, depending upon the number of ports on a particular hub I felt I could trust. I even switched the hubs around so that different hubs were used for different types of devices than were previously arranged. That had no benefit.

Towards the end of the 6-month period I bought a new PC, a brand other than that I had used before and the same situation continued - the hubs were sometimes unreliable. Ultimately, I bought a new hub of another brand and reverted to some of the hubs I had used previously. The problems are over!

It is clear that these are not reliable and cannot therefore be trusted. If you have one that has worked since purchase, you may have been lucky. If you are thinking of buying, I would suggest you consider another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin!!, 1 Mar. 2008
Colin "(52)" (UK and Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
over the years I have bought many different types of hub, mini-hubs, powered hubs etc etc. This one is the best i have ever used. No bigger then it needs to be, and so far it has worked perfectly.
Only minor negative comment - which is true of most accessories - can't the AC adaptor be smaller? for a 500ma adaptor it seems huge. Nokia at least have started to make smaller adaptors/chargers for their phones. Would be nice to see other manufacturers follow suit. The adaptor is as big as the hub itself!!!

Do not be worried about the comment from a reviewer that if you plug a USB1.0 device it will slow all ports to USB1.0 speed, - That is a feature of USB and all hubs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But!, 29 Nov. 2006
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
Plugged in my DUB-H7 whilst the computer was on and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately I turned my computer off at the end of the day and found it would not reboot the next day unless I unplugged the Hub! After hanging on the phone (free phone I hope) to DLink support for over half an hour, all they could suggest was that my computers BIOS didn't like the hub. So I had to upgrade my BIOS to see if this fixed the problem. It worked, but anyone who's ever tried it - upgrading BIOS on slightly older machines can be very "exciting". This may be the case for all Hubs and not just the DLink units. It did work fine on my laptop with no problems - just a word of warning for people with older machines!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Ask For Anything Else..., 18 Jan. 2009
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
I've been using one of these hubs for a number of months now and never had a problem. I run my printer, Smartphone Dock, external hard drive and webcam through it permanently. This leaves the USB ports on the computer available for ad hoc connections. It does exactly what it should - exactly what I bought it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, Compact, Does the job and would recommend to others, 8 Oct. 2010
Delivery;
Arrived promptly within a few days, package was easy to open and protective.

Reason for purchase;
I bought the hub so I could use the back 4 (now 3 since the hub uses one port) USB ports and the two front USB ports for other equipment. I chose this specific hub over others due to the design, and the high ratings.

Problems so far?;
The only two problems I have encountered so far are:
1. After putting the 4 USB devices in and installed, I put the 5th in and got a bluescreen.
2. I put a Wireless USB stick into one of the ports and every once in a while it stopped connecting*.
No other issues with the hub and it works flawlessly with whatever is plugged in.

Design;
It's smaller than I expected, though a lot of things look bigger in books/online. Suffice to say it's small, compact and does the job. It sits nicely next to my Desktop tower. Depending on what you use for your plug sockets you may have a few "quirks".
- If you have a wall-socket with a 2/3 socket plug, you'll have to use an alternative, as the long plug will stop you plugging it on the top, and will block any plug if used on the front.
- If you use an extension lead with multiple sockets you'll find the plug design to be no problem, even with a socket-plug (depending on if you have it hanging or on the floor).
The ports position make it easier to use any wide USB's without fear of 'conflict'. The green LED's are not overpoweringly bright, and only the power LED remains on when the computer is turned off.

Recommendations;
I would definitely recommend this product to other people who need an easy compact hub for additional ports. I have yet to contact support for any reason.

Other;
I have currently got a webcam, printer, mouse, keyboard, and wireless USB stick plugged into the hub, and all work simultaneously. Also, the hub does not overheat quickly, instead it can sustain a cold/reasonable temperature for a relatively long time.
*however, other devices still work in the port and the USB wireless stick works in an alternative port. Probably a picky wireless stick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply dissappointing, 3 April 2013
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
This is the first time I have been unhappy with a D-Link product, and I've bought and used dozens of their devices both at home and at work.
This hub is not cheap, but I bought it on the strength of my previous - generally positive - experiences with D-Link products. However, like other reviewers on here, I have found this to be a flawed device, of questionable quality and value.
The hub does not always work as it should - the 2 powered ports in particular seem to work only when they feel like it - and it needs to be reset far too often.
Also one of the ports now has a broken middle and so is unusable - it wasn't abused or mishandled in any way, but simply snapped off when I tried to plug my phone charger into it.
Given the high cost of the hub, and generally good reputation of the maker, this isn't acceptable. D-Link need to sort themselves out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Sept. 2007
Paul Johnson "Dog" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub (Electronics)
I've tried a lot of cheapo USB hubs, some OK, some don't work, some work for a bit then get unreliable. I've got a D-link router which has proved to be pretty good so I thought I'd stick with them for this powered hub and so far not disappointed - works really well - no problem. Perhaps not the prettiest bit of kit in the world, but rock solid.

D-Link DUB-H7 7-Port USB 2.0 External Hub