• Uno

Uno
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£5.88+£1.26shipping

on 14 March 2005
If you've seen this lot live you'll know what the fuss is about. However they have little writing talent compared with other bands on the scene like Million Dead, Biffy Clyro and Cardiff's "The Take" etc. I had to listen to the album 4 times before I realised it wasn't that I didn't get, it just that there was nothing to "get". Liam is a weak vocalist and they always choose dreadful production for the sake of being different. The odd riff here and there is noteable but as a whole it just makes no sense. First album was average but had more likeable songs on it. DiS have been stitched up with this one!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 July 2004
I still remember the first time I saw thisgirl live, nearly two years ago now. They were opening for a band I liked and my friends and I came early. I remember standing there a bit confused, a bit shocked and trying to take it all in. There was so much energy and lead singer Liam Creamer was litterally bouncing off the walls. It was a show I'll never forget and I make an effort to see them anytime they're playing nearby,
Since then I've got (I think) everything they've released and so we come to Uno, the new album.
Uno is FANTASTIC, everything I was hoping to get from this band, an album I've been waiting for.
Forget all you may have read from the press comparing them to lostprophets or stuff like that, thats not what this band is about.
Their genuine musicianship and natural talent is second to none and in this album you can hear it better than ever. They mix genres up, change them around and come up with some of their own. A bit rock, a bit prog, a bit blues a little bit jazz, a bit metal and on and on. Which makes it very hard to describe.
You want something on the heavy side then thats Master Blaster or maybe Cartwheels, change tracks and you'll find the soaring likes of Drake or You Are But A Draft. My fave right now is St James Gate, tho' my flat mate's is Oscilloscope Love. Theres a song in here for every mood.
They push the envelope on this one and dont dissapoint. Its refreshing too, to hear something that isnt all about screaming and how loud something can get.
Artwork wise it looks like the band did it all or so it says, theres the longest thank you list I've ever seen on a cd, and even liner notes where you can find out about the recording (like all the drum and bass recording was done in 4 days!?). Its nice to see a band care about these things again.
Buy this album, you wont regret it and it will be one of the best things you do all year.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 September 2004
UNO follows on from the likes of 'A Short Strut...' and 'Demos for the Family.' I have been impressed with the band's endless energy, and this album is a must buy for all fans of emo music. There is quite a combination of tracks in this album, with more energetic tracks such as 'master blaster' and 'hallelujah' to more relaxing tracks such as 'Don't be a kite' and 'St James Gate.'
UNO is currently the best album I own. For those who are familiar to the band, I seriously reccommend that you buy this album. And for those who are unfamiliar, I'd like to introduce you to a vibrant band, full of energy and character. Your stereo will become addicted to this album, believe me!!!!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...