5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Hospital - keep with it!
I found the first couple of episodes completely disorientating: they flash in and out of different scenes, establishing characters and giving you a mix of humour, suspense and surrealism.
The further in you get, the more the storyline takes over.
I can appreciate that some may give up on...
Published on 24 May 2005 by Miss H C Brookes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not King of horrors.
James Herbert knows how to write horror and when it comes to "atmosphere" Asian horrors have it down packed. This dragged on in each and every episode and was not scary really or even a good thriller like "The Sixth Sense". I did like the headless man. The cast was fine. But as horrors goes Stephen King needs to watch movies like Juon and The Ring (Japan)...
Published 3 months ago by M. Haereroa

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Hospital - keep with it!, 24 May 2005
The further in you get, the more the storyline takes over.
I can appreciate that some may give up on this series - but don't. It really is a very enjoyable journey into the fictional lives of these characters and, of course, the hospital itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 12 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Stephen King Presents : Kingdom Hospital (4 Disc Box Set) [2004] [DVD] (DVD)
For a start don't compare this with early Stephen King movies. Many of those are bad. For some reason, where Steve is concerned his great writing has never converted well to film. There are a few exceptions but not many. Whether this is due to bad production or directing, I don't know, but it's a sad fact. This project, however, is completely different.
I haven't seen the original series that this series is based on but I have plans to do so. This is simply wacky. Think Silent Hill. Think ER. Think Twin Peaks. Stir it all together, throw in some wild characters, a wonderful and slightly twisted sense of humour and you have Kingdon Hospital. It might be considered disturbing in a few places but in my house no one found it especially spooky. We did all finish feeling like we'd had a good time. It's hysterical. We didn't expect to laugh so much.
I've given it 4 stars rather than 5 as the last episode seemed a bit rushed, had a slight clip-show feel about it, but don't let that comment put you off. It's great fun! As for comments against Stephen King himself - some reviewers have called him lazy or as good as accused him of stealing the project - can I just point out that Lars Von Trier was approached for permission to adapt this to an English-speaking audience and he was not only delighted, he was also involved. If he's happy then I think everyone else should be too and see no reason it should detract from the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom Hospital - keep with it!, 24 May 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Was so happy to FINALLY get this!, 11 Mar. 2013
I first watch Kingdom Hospital when i was a young girl, it was truly magnificent!!!!!! I had been meaning to buy it ever since i stumbled across it on here. But i kept putting off, until i finally ordered!!!!!!! It came on time, in mint condition and it was lovely to see again. To feel that perfect nostalgia of watching the series again, was amazing. I recommend this product for EVERYONE!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best US TV show ever., 17 Dec. 2010
Greywolf (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
OK, it's a big claim, but I think a justifiable one. Most American TV shows are, and always have been, incredibly formulaic. TV execs ask themselves what's popular and then clone it. Hence the endless variations on cop and hospital dramas. Here, however, we have a hospital drama unlike any other. It is quirky, creepy, surreal, funny, satirical and just magnificently odd. Based on a Danish mini-series by avant-garde film-maker, Lars Von Trier, Stephen King's version weaves and plays with our notions of reality, horror, dreams and visions, the occult and mystical to an extent that few, if any, other TV shows have. The only others that have gone down similar roads to similarly brilliant effect are Twin Peaks: Definitive Gold Box Edition (UK Version) [DVD] [1992] and the original 1960s The Prisoner [DVD] [1967]. These shows stand out for many reasons, not least because they don't talk down to the viewer. Most TV assumes the viewer to have the intelligence of the average wood louse. Kingdom Hospital, Twin Peaks and The Prisoner all require an open and enquiring mind. Well, OK, and a slightly warped sense of humour.
What's it about? Well, events revolve around the hospital bed of a character who has been partially paralysed in a serious traffic accident (based on Stephen King's own experience of being hit by a truck). Around him spins a tale of dark retribution from beyond the grave and a delightfully bizarre cast of characters including an elderly woman psychic, a 'hero' doctor with an open mind and a 'villain' doctor with a closed one that starts to break apart under the strain, a Downs Syndrome couple who know more about what's going on than anyone else, a lovely assortment of eccentrics, weirdos, down-and-outs and dead people, a talking dog and the wonderful Antubis, a cross between an anteater, a giant sloth and Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead. The character of Antubis is realised in some of the best CGI I've ever seen.
In spite of the oddness of the characters and the strangeness of the overall tone, the characters are so well realised by the truly excellent cast that it's easy to engage with them on a human level and to genuinely care for and about them. Sympathetic or vile, they are real enough to anchor us amongst the plethora of weirdness that whirls around them.
The hospital itself is a vital part of the show, being divided into the Kingdom above-ground, the Old Kingdom below-ground and the Kingdom of the Otherworld, source of the visions and assorted ghosts that plague or protect, confuse or enlighten both the human protagonists and we viewers. Watching this show is a dense, immersive, hypnotic, funny, unsettling and ultimately wonderful, even redemptive experience. It wraps up satisfyingly in the last episode, but I would have loved it to have gone on to a second series. Alas, it seems impossible to find enough intelligent viewers to sustain shows for long if they're in the least bit different. And this one is very different. Frankly, I'm amazed it ever got made in the first place. I guess it wouldn't have been but for Stephen King's name being attached to it. Kudos to him for making it happen. Such gems are all too rare.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a chilling masterpiece..., 11 Jun. 2004
Stephen King is perhaps by far the best horror author there is around at present. With claim to many best selling novels, such as IT, a story about an evil clown who is faced by a group of seven young misfits banded together to confront the terror, doesn't sound too scary? I first watched it when I was just a child, about 10 years old, trust me, I couldn't sleep for weeks. So, with novels on the shelves and people queueing up to turn this mans novels into a number of classic horror films for the big screens, and little of course, I thought that there was nothing else this man could do that would surprise me in the least. How astonished was I however when I heard of an up-coming television series produced by this very man, based on the novel of Eleanor Druse (The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident).
At first I hadn't gathered much information on this new television series and within time I'd forgotten about it completely, however, one night whilst surfing my television for something to watch I stumbled onto BBC 2 and found Kingdom Hospital, already quarter of an hour of the episode gone. I watched the remaining half an hour and once my eyes had seen the last credit file up the screen I felt a longing for more from the hospital, I was quite disheartened that episodes weren't an hour long. So I surfed again and found the next episode on BBC 3, straight after. I was delighted and watched the very next episode that same night.
Now I am completely 'hooked', pardon the pun, on this amazingly produced television show, and each week I re-watch the episode I would have seen previously on BBC 3 and then watch the following episode on BBC 3. To be able to watch an episode of a tv show twice within a week and enjoy it more so the second time around is a rare occurence, however, Stephen King has mastered this show so finely that the storylines, character development, settings and colours are absolutely perfect. The hospital functions as though it were a real hospital drama such as Casualty or ER, but what makes this so unique from other hospital drama's is the supernatural theme to the television show.
The plot follows the story of a distressed ghost called Mary (played brilliantly by 10 year old Jodelle Ferland) who is taunted by spectre Paul (played by 22 year old Kett Turton). Kingdom Hospital of Maine, the main location in the series, was built on top of a wreckage of two horrific fires. The wreckage, which was once a warehouse, used child labourers, Mary being one of those unfortunate souls. Not much information has been unleashed of these fires but it is known that one of these fires caused the mass number of deaths in the warehouse which killed all the children and everyone else inside the building. Now, years later, with Kingdom Hospital standing tall and proud, a successful hospital, the ghosts are out to get their own back. Mary just wants peace for the hospital and is helplessly pursued by the evil Paul, and Paul, who knows what evil he wishes to bestow on the hospital and it's occupants.
Eleanor Druse, a woman who is adminished to the hospital after complaining of a pain in her hip, (Perhaps it's best I explain she's a hyperchondriac), whilst getting treatment, notices a few strange happenings in the hospital. It is Eleanor Druse, with help from Dr. Hook, a doctor in the Kingdom, who sets out to try and help poor little Mary and find out the truth about the fires in the old warehouse. Who knows what evils could be unleashed in doing so? And what is Paul's real secret?
So, for those of you who are a great fan of Stephen King's written work, I advise that you buy yourself a copy of this television series. It is well worth the price, which is amasingly low, I thought it would be a lot more expensive. I know I'm going to reserve a copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't compare, 19 Oct. 2011
Mr. G. Clark (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this show when I first saw it and feel that it is a great piece of television in its own right. However. Do not compare it to the source material the comparison is both irrelevant and unfair. Riget I and II are the work of a developing master. Even unfinished the cycle is eminently watchable. I would love to know how Riget III was scripted, but the fact that three of the main actors passed on before it could be made, make that a forlorn hope. Mr Von Trier thanks for Riget (and Dear Wendy).
With Kingdom Hospital you are getting something that has been finished with the narrative ark complete.
It stands on its own as an enjoyable piece of American televisual entertainment.
I own and love both of them.
Bottom line the Rigets are superb, but I owe it to Kingdom hospital for letting me know of their existence.

5.0 out of 5 stars surreal and witty king at best, 5 Jan. 2008
king is at home with film and tv, he as much a film maker as a writer. kingdom hospital was a personal project adapted from 'the kingdom' which inspired him to vent his car accident trauma further with this tv series. i watched it over a few days and loved it. i had high expectations and it fell into place nicely. its not scary or gory, it is surreal and witty. jodelle ferland who plays mary the ghost is such a beautiful girl, she and her companion antibus just won me over straight away. kingdom hospital is eveything it set out to be. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. it is like a fusion of twin peaks and ally macbeal, with the silly houmour and music but laced with sordid darkness. beautifully shot, cast and acted. very pleased. its not meant to be complicated and elite, it is what it should be, a really wicked little series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great drama, if you know the basis of it....., 6 Nov. 2012
Having seen Lars Von Trier's original work "Riget The Kingdom", this series is the American adaption with a few more characters thrown in, more surrealism and up to date effects, although Von Trier's RIGET is a truly original gritty piece of work, that remains great as it is.
This series takes it to a whole new level, and in a somewhat different direction, with plotlines, animation and you can feel S. King's personal influence and touch adapting this, although there still are running similarities with RIGET. A good surrealist horror/drama/black comedy set in a hopsital, built on a foul history, based around the lives of the living and the dead inhabitants. Hours of entertainment, if you take it for what it is, and try not to compare it too much to King's other work, or Lars Von Trier's work. It is a mix of minds.

5.0 out of 5 stars KINGDOM HOSPITAL, 8 Aug. 2004
paul griffiths (Belfast/N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
What can i say about a fantastic series, im not a big fan of SK but this series just blew me away. The way the characters blended and cared about each other, and plots and twists all come together towards the end.
All the episodes comes with a touch of gore and a pinch of black humour to satisfy any fan.
The DVD edition comes on 4 discs with extras featurettes behind the camera features.I hope they make another series of episodes, this is definately in my collection and should be in yours.
One last thought before i go I REALLY LOVE THE SOUND TRACKS COOOOL. What are you waiting for go out and buy it.

Stephen King Presents : Kingdom Hospital (4 Disc Box Set) [2004] [DVD]