5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, Spectacular
Published on 25 Nov 2004 by lynnijack

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand why it was so popular
Double set - the three stars are for Romeo and Juliet. Moulin Rouge was just awful, for me! Hated it
Published 13 months ago by Katherine Luxton

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, Spectacular, 25 Nov 2004
This review is from: Moulin Rouge/Romeo And Juliet [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
If there was ever a set of films to own, then this is surely it. Moulin Rouge is a visual indulgence set to spoil your eyes with imagery beyond reality. the cut and style of the film means that at points you are literally reeling in your chair, trying to adapt to the flurry of colour and excitement presented on screen. a truly beautiful film with a truly wonderful sense of simplicity... and the use of your favourite songs only adds to the sense that you always seem to know what coming (Brecht himself would be proud) I dare anybody not to cry at Christians final speech, and Nicole Kidman proves herself to be unbelievably versatile, and Kylie adds a spice to her brief appearance. A strong cast, a strong story and a director with the most enviable eye for detail that makes you wonder you dreamt the whole thing.
Romeo and Juliet is a wonderful accessable version that remains true to the text, whilst bringing the beloved bard crashing into the 21st Century. Danes shines as Juliet, and while DiCaprio wouldn't have been my choice, i must admit he does well with a challenging role. It accesses the beauty of the text, while the funky soundtrack and sharp imagery allow a sensory journey that will take your breath away.
my only problem with both films, you'll have to buy the soundtracks as well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Value, 22 Feb 2013
Two films that give great pleasure for different reasons. Moulin Rouge is sheer entertainment. Romeo and Juliet hardly needs superlatives. However, this production is pure genius. Whilst keeping to the text, making it about contemporary street gangs will appeal to young people, and the romance cannot fail to move everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 14 Jun 2014
One of my daughters favour films. The delivery was good and on time. Price was gods especially as we got Romeo and Juliet as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand why it was so popular, 21 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 fabulous films !, 11 Nov 2013
Superb addition to my chick flick collection. Great for a quiet night in and a bit of a weep. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loved this, 17 Mar 2013
I bought this for my daughter who was studying Romeo and Juliet at school. She has dyslexia and found it useful to follow the story through film. It was a bonus that moulin rouge was included. Cheaper than buying them both seperately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pick me up films, 4 Feb 2013
Well I love the music in the Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet.... the latter a bit heavy!! As for the service, quick and excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Moulin Rouge/Romeo & Juliet, 10 Feb 2012
How great to have my favourite two movies. I have enjoyed both immensely and will carry on enjoying them. Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movies for the collection., 24 Jun 2011
I bought these last year for mostly nostalgic reasons and I wasn't disappointed. This movie combo appeals to many ages... I watched Romeo & Juliet with my husband and sister in law and it passed a few hours as we commented on how young the protagonists look (we would be the same age as the actors). I watched Moulin Rouge with my mother who enjoyed it. I have loaned them both out also. They are the type of movies I would watch repeatedly, say, once every couple of years. Easy to watch and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO GREAT!!, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Moulin Rouge/Romeo And Juliet [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
I love both these films easpeacially Moulin Rouge and this box set was everything i could ask for!! Great quality and sound aswell!!

Moulin Rouge/Romeo And Juliet [DVD] [1997]
Moulin Rouge/Romeo And Juliet [DVD] [1997] by Baz Luhrmann (DVD - 2004)