4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album
Published on 20 Jan. 2007 by Lousson

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad but she has made better
not a bad album but she has made better music she has got better with age smiler is her best work
Published 18 months ago by richard wainman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 20 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Lost In Space (Audio CD)
I hadn't listened to Aimee Mann in a couple of years and decided to see what she had been up to since I'd stopped listening. Lost in Space carries on with the sound from her previous album, BachelorNo2. As soon as I played this CD on a slow afternoon with an essay to write and a cigarette in hand, I realised that it was comforting to hear her music again. Musically the album seems to be more rock/pop than BachelorNo2. Whereas in Bachelorno2 there were the occasional song that sounded folk and country, and even the odd song that harked back to her sugary pop sound of her earlier albums; Lost in Space does away with this and seems to explore her more acoustic rock sound a bit more instead.

Lyrically, Aimee seems to be exploring the themes of disillusionment and loneliness. In fact, overall the whole album seems to give off this feel of isolation and uncertainty, a talent that Aimee seems to have perfected with her music.

Opening up the CD, I was really fond of the design of the CD liner and booklet. A comic book artist, Seth, was brought in to draw the comic strip, and has a little story that helps give the music a resonance.

In comparison to BachelorNo2 (which I should confess, I was really fond of and had great memories of the CD), I would say that Lost in Space just misses out on it. Although musically, the album is a good step forward, I felt Bachelorno2 seemed a lot more melodic and a bit more dynamic in the types of songs. Having said that, Lost in Space gives the off a tone of sadness and uncertainty that we all seem to go through from time to time. The album epitomises this feeling, and does so with clarity and wit.

Overall a great album and definitely worth a look if you enjoyed BachelorNo2! Stand out tracks are Lost in Space, Pavlov's Bell.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect album, if such a thing exists, 26 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Lost In Space (Audio CD)
Although her entire body of work is spectacular, Lost in Space is probably Aimee Mann’s best album. On it she explores themes of loss and disillusionment with her usual humour and dark wit. The tunes and lyrics are strong, the arrangements interesting and she even got a couple of the songs onto the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series, appearing in one episode and getting a ‘funny’ line.
Even the packaging is unique – line drawn cartoon strips somehow reminiscent of Daniel Clowes’ Ghost World graphic novel evoke the dark themes simply and wittily. As far as the songs go, every track is fantastic here – but This Is How It Goes, Moth, Invisible Ink and It’s Not really stand out. The last track in particular is a simple melody with vocal and guitar, but manages to convey galaxies of sadness, feelings of failure and personal criticism like nothing else.
Aimee Mann is a tremendously underrated songwriter, and hopefully will continue to create and release solid gold quality albums such as this one. Anyone who buys this work will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay so, it's not The Breeders, but it still rocks!, 27 Sept. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Lost in Space (Audio CD)
I have passed by Aimee Mann CD's a few times whilst rummaging for Natalie Merchant, but never bothered to purchase one. However, I started listening to this CD through headphones in a record shop and did not remove them until the album was complete. I purchased the CD, but following a few more plays I started to wonder if it was all a tad similar. The pace is relatively consistent throughout, with the occasional impressive bursts of guitar (especially in Pavlov's Bell). However, I have listened to it quite a lot over the past week, and its subtle depth is making itself more apparent with every additional playing. Aimee has quite a distinctive voice in its clarity and intonation. Her lyrics at first could appear simplistic and nothing out of the ordinary, but that is the eloquence of it all... her ability to simplify what many artists feel they have to complicate to gain any creditability. The tracks I am most enamoured by are 'Humpty Dumpty', 'Lost in Space', and 'Pavlov's Bell'. As an avid follower of 'The Breeders' and indie -rock, I am more prone to fuzzy kicking music with a quirk. Oddly enough, Aimee Mann is starting to fit the bill. This music has a kick... if a very delicate one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Found in Sitting Room, listening compulsively....., 23 Sept. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Lost in Space (Audio CD)
I too only discovered Aimee Mann after Magnolia and have looked forward to the release of Lost in Space for months. And it was worth it.Right from the opening chords of Humpty Dumpty, through to the closing of It's Not, you step into an emotional rollercoaster which runs you through the mill and back again. obsession and addiction seems to be the waft thread upon which the entire cd is woven, whether it be to love or drugs or at times both. The irony of this is that the obsession will become yours on purchase, this is an album that begs to be heard and within days You will play it compulsively. Stand out tracks have to be Invisible Ink and It's Not, however it it's entirity it is so superbly "complete" that it's hard to single out any particular song. Buy it. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing piece of work from Aimee Mann, 25 Oct. 2002
Joshua J. Seymour "darkjosh" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lost in Space (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Aimee Mann before I watched Magnolia. Her songs caught my attention, so I quickly bought myself the Magnolia soundtrack and her album Bachelor No.2, which both came out in 1999. But neither of those brilliant collections of songs hinted at what Mann would acheive with Lost In Space. This album is transcendent, beautiful and uplifting. It's worth buying if you like listen to well-crafted, meaningful songs with lyrics as important as the singing. And the lyrics here really are important. Mann brilliantly gets across her points on drugs, depression, and love. Here are my song reviews:
1. Humpty Dumpty- A great start to the album, with ironic lyrics and lilting melodies. 9/10
2. High on Sunday 51- A real slow-burner, which is slightly less great than other tracks, but still solid 7.5/10
3. Lost in space- An excellent, memorable title track, which lingers in the mind for days. 9/10
4. This is how it goes- Rocky, memorable, nice song. 8/10
5. Guy's like me- A catchy song, with clever lyrics. Not a classic though. 8/10
6. Pavlov's bell- One of the best songs on the album. Rocky, catchy and showcasing Aimee's great talent for writing lyrics full of meaning. 10/10
7. Real bad news- This song definitely isn't real bad news. It has relatable lyrics, and a memorable singalong-esque chorus, which shows off Aimee's voice, and further hammers home the depressing themes this album focuses on. 9/10
8. Invisible Ink- A masterpiece. The lyrics are wonderfully expressive, and Aimee's voice has rarely sounded more beautiful and fragile. And the chorus is unforgettable, sounding a bit like Aimee's response to the (in my opinion, stupid) people who believe she has become stuck in a rut..."Nobody wants to hear this tale/ The plot is cliched, the jokes are stale/ And baby we've all heard it all before..." 10/10
9. Today's the day- Another brilliant song. The lyrics are hopeful, and Aimee's voice is emotional and wonderfully strained. 9/10
10. The Moth- The lyrics are masterfully metaphorical, but this song isn't as catchy as most of the others, and slightly more forgettable. 7.5/10
11. It's Not- Simply stunning. The backing is beautiful, and Aimee's singing is gorgeous and expressive. Haunting and unforgettable. 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Draws you in, 1 May 2007
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lost In Space (Audio CD)
On first listening I was indifferent, especially since I had already heard her music for the Magnolia soundtrack and her later album Bachelor No.2 and I liked those but this newer album didn't seem to add much to her previous work - but on repeated listening, after 3 plays I started to get drawn into the lyrics and then I found myself humming the melodies. Now I'm hooked. A slow burner but worth the time and attention! Classic Aimee Mann.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad but she has made better, 6 Nov. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Loop, 22 Jan. 2004
Dave (Worcester, Worcestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Space (Audio CD)
I've had a soft spot for female singers for a while (being more willing to admit it now I'm knockin' on a bit) and can't believe I hadn't come across her before. I bought the sound track to Magnolia and instantly fell for her. I'm not going to break the album down into individual tracks because they'll all worthy of note. Lost in Space has been played on a loop on my CD player for the last two weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aimee Mann's Best Yet, 5 Sept. 2002
A music fan (Sevenoaks, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Space (Audio CD)
As a big fan of Aimee Mann's previous work I was really looking forward to "Lost In Space".
Lyrically I immediately thought it as strong as anything she has done and in terms of overall consistency her best yet. "and nothing fuels a good flirtation like need and anger and desperation" from "The Moth" is just one of numerous examples.
However on first listening to it I thought that, with the exceptions of "Humpty Dumpty" and "The Moth", this was not as good musically as "Batchelor No. 2" although it compared very favourably to "Whatever" and "I'm With Stupid"
How wrong I was!
A second listening a day later revealed something interesting on every track and subsequent listenings have strengthened this view. In my opinion "This Is How It Goes" and "Real Bad News" are not as good as the rest albeit many artists would probably be very happy if they could reach the standard of an average Aimee Mann track.
Her voice is excellent throughout and many of the tracks, particularly "High On Sunday 51", have a haunting quality - now it's hard to get the music out of my head.

So, musically as good as "Batchelor No. 2" and lyrically better. I'd say that this is her best work yet.
If you have never heard her music then you can look forward to clever lyrics, beautifully sung, set to some great music. If you are already a fan then you might not find this as immediately accessible as her last release but I think after a couple of listenings you'll be hooked.
Oh and the artwork and lyric book are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 12 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space (Audio CD)
Aimee Mann has a really soothing voice even when she's singing about loss. It's soothing and I could listen to it for hours because the beauty of Mann's voice is that she's singing from the heart.
The songs themselves are witty and wonderfully sung. A beautiful collection with an enjoyable comic strip and amusing cartoons.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lost In Space
Lost In Space by Aimee Mann (Audio CD - 2006)