5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious singing
Published on 1 Jan. 2008 by Carole Waskett

3.0 out of 5 stars Unequal sound levels.
Mostly very quiet, but if you turn up the volume loud enough to hear everything clearly you'll risk being startled by the occasional much louder bird call. This might be "realistic", but not ideal for listening to in a home setting. It's OK, but there are better alternatives out there in my opinion.
Published 18 months ago by AlexD

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious singing, 1 Jan. 2008
Carole Waskett (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
This is a simple but somehow heartrending recording of birds in a May dawn. It starts with the heavy drip-drip of overnight dew. Then we hear a robin in the darkness of the woodland, and other birds join as the light grows, to a passionate crescendo of wild sound, diminishing in daylight to the nonchalant songs of the blackcap and garden warbler. No new-agey music here; just birds (and a roe deer, and, an oddly domestic note, somewhere in there a cockerel). It took me straight back to my country childhood; I was spellbound.
There are some brief, helpful notes about what we're hearing, but my suggestion is, just listen and imagine. And be thankful to the recordist, Geoff Sample. Magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth buying, 27 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful recording for a number of reasons. First, it's a piece of natural England for those of us that can't actually be there. Second, it's the glorious sounds of the early morning for those of us that aren't early risers (3:40 a.m., anybody?). Third, it is downright interesting as well as enchanting, with ebbs and flows of an amazing array of sounds, including lambs' cries. I have listened to it a few times since buying it recently, sometimes while I am reading, and sometimes just listening with my eyes shut. The concise liner notes are helpful, alerting you to the presence of species with which you may not be familiar, and helping you to understand what's happening over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
A beautifully clear and well structured recording of early morning birdsong.

Manages to be both uplifting and relaxing at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved the dawn chorus, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
I absolutely loved this cd.It is so relaxing and in the dead of winter it takes me straight to summer.It is a must especially if you suffer from SAD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant both for content and quality, 30 July 2012
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
I must commend this CD as being the best dawn chorus I've listened too and I have tried a few. Aside from a few AWOL creatures near the start (which actually add to the rich tapestry of wildlife) the technical quality is stunning and the whole - very long - experience is seamless despite being broken down into tracks (in other words the tracks are for convenience).

What makes me appreciate this more is having tried to experience the dawn chorus for real (it's not that easy getting up at 3am in summer in time for sunrise then trying to will the birds close to you - they tend to form an exclusion zone around you!). This prompted me to look for a new and better CD instead. Yes I know, what a lightweight! Plus the fact this is from the UK so you'll hear all your favourite and familiar birds.

It is also unpolluted by music, pan pipes or other mystical clap trap - this is 100% nature, pure, simple and superbly recorded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birdsong, 27 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
Was originally looking for the novel Birdsong, however stumbled on the reviews for this, it does not dissapoint. It takes me back to an earlier time,i like to listen to it while having breakfast, before the house wakes up, if you like Birds and Nature buy it, if not get the novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relax, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
I have had this CD for some time, and have always enjoyed it to relax to. It came into its own on a 10hr flight back from San Francisco, when for the first time ever it lulled me to sleep on a plane. Trust me it has got to be good to do that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but a tad expensive, 7 Feb. 2012
C. Irwin "Shizzling" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
I work from home a lot and I sometimes feel like I'm plodding through the day. Last week my son left a web page open on the computer (Club Moshi or Penguin Monsters, I think) that had a sporadic bird tweet on it. I thought this was really nice as it gave the audio illusion of being outdoors - it definitely elevated my mood.

So I decided to buy a birdsong CD to see if the same mood lightening effect could be obtained.

The answer is yes. This recording has been made in some woods - the soundscape is excellent - as well as birdsong you get a sense of the place, plus the occasional bleat of a sheep.

One downside is the cost. It seems a bit steep for what it is.

My other worry is that I'll start getting used to it and will start to anticipate the next sheep bleating or caw of a crow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodland magic!, 27 Sept. 2009
Jane Booth (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
Wonderfully relaxing and uplifting - highly recommended if you want to ease away the stresses and strains of the day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unequal sound levels., 4 Nov. 2013

Dawn Chorus
Dawn Chorus by Birdsong (Audio CD - 2004)