4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Cameras Develop, 31 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Mississauga Goddam (Audio CD)
Roughly a year ago, the Hidden Cameras marched onto the unsuspecting UK scene with a glorious debut and a penchant for on-stage frivolity, and made a mark that was hard to wash off. 12 months on, Joel Gibb and co. present us with a new offer, a second helping of the 'gay church folk' that turned so many heads when they first arrived.
Whilst hardly being a massive departure from their first album, the sound has evolved slightly, as shown by the light-speed grandiose pop of Fear Is On and the clever flirtations with dark theatrics on Bboy. The openess that made the Hidden Cameras so thrilling is still here too; on That's When the Ceremony Starts, Joel Gibb revels in an erotic description of his infatuation as an orchestra lightly tip-toes around him and his guitar, whilst on Music Is My Boyfriend, words like 'gangly-greens' and 'vaseline' are dropped like no-bodies business.
The production has also advanced, giving the songs some neat touches and a quick spit-shine, most keenly felt on the likes of Builds the Bone and We Oh We, where the simplest of melodies drift on a sea of violas and cellos.
Complaints? A personal one is that the lyrics seem to stop before they really get going, rather than weaving elaborate tales of love and filth, a gift Joel Gibb clearly has, verses and choruses are sometimes repeated with only the slightest of variation to keep you interested. I Believe in the Good Life would have been a triumph had it been for a little more thought and care, the song soon wears itself out on it's limited content.
But, despite this pitfall, the strong melodies and tight song structures pull all of the songs through, and as shown on I Want Another Enema, the results are splendid as well as constantly playable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goddam brilliant, 18 Mar 2011
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mississauga Goddam (Audio CD)
This is the second album from Joel Gibb and a rather different record from the stunning 'A Smell of our Own'Smell of Our Own. He does like to keep his records different and so they tend to have an identity which makes them work as a package and that is true of this one.

Once again his lyrics are as sexually explicit as ever 'That's when the ceremony starts' is right up there, in more ways than one- pun intended. His voice has a timbre and a quality of lyrical fluidity that makes everything he sings very easy to listen to, and you almost miss the message, if indeed `message' is the correct word. A friend of mine said he just seem s to burst with a love of life and more over a love of gay life and lifestyles.

The best track for me is the mellow paced closing title track, but other stand out ones have to be `We oh We', and track 5 `I believe in the good of life'. That said, there is not a duff track on here and also enough musical variance to keep you not only keen but being able to discover more and more on subsequent listenings. I must have heard it over a dozen times now and I keep liking it more, so give it a go and I hope you will too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Infectious blindfolded Canadians, 29 May 2010
A. J. Toll (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mississauga Goddam (Audio CD)
This was my 4th Hidden Cameras purchase so I had high hopes for a jolly singalong - and I wasn't disappointed! Unfortunately some of the songs are SO infectious they can get stuck in your head until you wake up the next morning! Despite the danger of requiring a complete mind-wipe, this album is great fun and extremely melodic. If you are a THC fan this is an essential addition to your collection. Now guys when are you going to do a proper UK tour??

5.0 out of 5 stars Mississauga Goddam good, 22 Feb 2007
A. C. Williams (Caerdydd, Cymru) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mississauga Goddam (Audio CD)
One of the most uplifting LPs of the last ten years. I'm totally hooked on the Hidden Cameras now, just bought The Smell of Our Own and Awoo. Every song could be a single, they're so catchy and gorgeous, and downright rude! Fabulous. Joel Gibb is my hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Cameras rule, 16 July 2004
This review is from: Mississauga Goddam (Audio CD)
I can't believe nobody has written a review of this album. This the HC's second album. The first was Smell of Our Own, and this is more of the same. If you like Chemikal Underground stuff -- especially The Delgados or Belle & Sebastian -- you'll love this.And if you like it you HAVE to see them live.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 27 July 2004
Gary Williams (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mississauga Goddam (Audio CD)
Mississauga Goddam is an exhilarating, uplifting fantastic album. Its that simple. Buying it is probably the easiest thing you can do to make yourself feel good that doesn't involve feeling bad about yourself afterwards. Do it!

Mississauga Goddam
Mississauga Goddam by Hidden Cameras (Audio CD - 2004)