5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic.
Published on 16 April 2006 by David Welsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Good film and no probs with quality. shame it took over 2 weeks to arrive
Published 18 days ago by Wayne Tapper

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic., 16 April 2006
David Welsh (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
Fight Club is a stunning and brilliant film about the mind-numbing meaninglessness that traps so many in our consumerist society. The unnamed central character, played by Edward Norton, is looking for a way to escape, and that's when he meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) who, amongst other things, introduces him to the simple joys of fighting. Through the Fight Club they establish, he is able to feel alive again, but there is a lot more to Tyler than meets the eye... Superbly shot and directed, with excellent performances from all the main actors (particularly Pitt, Norton and Helena Bonham Carter), this atmospheric and psychological film is one of the best things to come out of Hollywood in recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not supposed to talk about it, 3 Nov 2002
I'm trying to think of something to say that will make you want to see this movie. If you want violence it's there. If you want an intricate plot it's there. If you want to see how consumerism has taken over our lives it;s there. The DVD version I got has an entire disc of bonus material which is worth seeing. However you are not being short changed if you only see the movie because it truly is excellent.

We really are what we own in today's world. We like to think that we are above all that but I'd be the first to admit I'm not. The fact that as I write this my stereo is playing and I'm typing on my own pc surrounded by DVDs CDs and books all confirm that. I wanted the pc and the DVD player and its something we all want. I think we are trying to make life a little more luxurious for ourselves. This film will shock you into accepting that.

This film is sick and twisted but that is exactly what I loved about it. Only a few films have really made me think. I'm not a Brad Pitt fan but his performance here is good. Ed Norton and Helena Bonham Carter don't let the side down either.

Fight Club also had its moments of comedy which left me mainly laughing at ourselves and the mess we've become. Slaves to labels with no hope of being freed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of genius!, 11 Mar 2002
Anyone who has said that they guessed the ending to Fight Club is talking complete rubbish - not just because it twists the storyline into a 180 degree turn, but because it is so completely unpredictable.
Fight Club is in a class of its own. It develops a psychological boundary that is both impressive and, frankly, quite brilliant. Not only does it provoke modern society, but also screams out a message that is seemingly determined to grab the viewer by the scruff of the neck shouting "grow up!"
The film centres around a character called Jack, an insomniac who becomes extremely bored of his life of routine and predictability. That is, until he meets Tyler Durden - a man with a very surreal and twisted outlook on life who introduces Jack to his philosophy on life, with both funny and shocking results.
Fight Club is a film that deliberately laughs in the face of seriousness and as a result, is a film you'll either hate or love. Personally, my outlook on the film was definitely the latter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still profound, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Fight Club - 2 Disc Edition (DVD)
I've never commented on other reviewers comments as they are personal opinions, but some reviewers of this DVD made such silly statements I felt compelled - it is very much an original piece of work. The fact that it's influenced so many others (and lost it's identity) doesn't diminish it's relevance, it underscores it. And the theme's are even more relevant today - consumerism is at an all-time high. This movie was made in a slump - just listen to Tyler Durden ranting about our generation not having a defining war. That's changed since 9/11, but the feeling of alienation/isolation/boredom through constant consumerist-orientated attacks (adverts) is even felt by soldiers... think of the difference between Apocalypse Now and Jarhead... or Full Metal Jacket and Buffallo Soldiers... Fight Club will be relevant as long as we place such heavy importance on purchase power, and it'll always be a classic. At least until the credit records return to zero...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fincher's greatest?, 21 Nov 2009
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Fight Club, in my book the ultimate bloke film. Last week, we were given Heat on BD and this week we have Fight club - Xmas has come early! I'm not supposed to talk about it but...

David Fincher has a pretty healthy looking portfolio under his belt (Alien 3; Seven; Panic Room; Benjamin Button for a start) but this is at the top of the list for me as his best. Top knotch cast topped only by the quirky, strange and damn right clever storyline. Follow the dull life of a John Doe as he seeks to find out more about himself by...I can't say in case people reading this haven't seen it, but lets say by making soap for now. Suffice to say, it's one of my favourite movies ever and shouldn't be missed. There is no way that as a viewer you will be able to take in everything that happens in a single watch. You'll pick up something extra that you didn't notice last time around, each viewing. Did I he really just say that? Did I just see that???

Transfer is great, amazing levels of dark. We have grain in places if you have a hang-up on that but it is rare.

*** WARNING ***: The ultimate frightener ever appears on this BD the moment you put the disk in (I'm stunned they even got permission to do it!). I suffered a heart attack and therefore am not going to give away what it is - why should others not go through the same as me! I laugh now, but at the time I started to cry.

The packaging says that it's English only, however on the disk we have

Languages: English DTS Master; English 2.0 DD; Spanish Latino DD; French DTS; Portuguese DD

Subs: English; Spanish Latino; French; Portugese; Danish; Finnish; Dutch; Norwegian; Swedish; Mandarin (Traditional)

5.0 out of 5 stars You are not the films you like, 8 Aug 2002
This review is from: Fight Club [VHS] [1999] (VHS Tape)
when it opened in the U.S to tepid business, there was widespread misjudgement that it was another testosterone-fuelled man-flick about bare-knuckle fighting. don't make this mistake. those who had read Palahniuk's corrosive social satire knew exactly what to expect. the film begins in the Medula Oblongata of the brain and explores every corrupt brain cell of today's culture. nobody is safe - Starbucks, Ikea and their children, which pretty much encompasses most of the developed world's inhabitants, the corporations, the small businesses, educated and uneducated. the main theme is the crisis of middle-class masculinity and is set in an anonymous city, much like Seven, and is a world of oppressive conformity where nobody has the power or will to break away, least of all Ed Norton's lead character. Norton plays an unconsuming drone (in the same vein of Anthony Perkins' Norman Bates in Psycho)and Brad Pitt, the enlightened anti-social (or perhaps anti-society) Tyler Durden. The cast is flawless, with Jared Leto playing a role with more importance than is realised, as Angel Face and Helena Bonham Carter sheds her corset for a female role to die for, displaying all the nihilism and apathy that the film requires. like Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, this book was also deemed unfilmable but Fincher's ability behind the camera trashes another dictionary entry. the film ends on as much of an ambiguous point as it can muster, because in the world portrayed on film, nothing can be taken for what it really is. after this, it seems impossible to go back to your ordinary job and your ordinary life and indeed, ordinary films.

5.0 out of 5 stars this monkey's gone to heaven..., 13 Jun 2006
Buffalohump (Heart of Darkness) - See all my reviews
I can't believe its taken me this long to get this movie on DVD. It blew me away when I saw it on initial release (seven years ago, can you believe it) but this is definitely one to own on DVD. Why? Because you can watch it over and over again, digging the sheer virtuosity of the performances, photography, music and above all, the brilliant script, which is so incredibly rich it has lost NOTHING in the translation. In my opinion this is one of the few films that is even better than the book, due to the beautifully twisted visual style of Fincher, not to mention the remarkable performances of Norton and Pitt, particularly the latter, who reaches a career peak here. I cannot wait to shove this into the machine again and settle back for more yucks and thrills. This film is a laugh a minute. In fact, its a comedy above all else. You'll only start to pick up on some of the gems in the second or third viewing (a personal favourite is the Norton/Bonham-Carter exchange about the thrift store wedding dress), but of course the classics - you are not your khakis - are all there as well. Do not hesitate to pick this up, at this price it is a world-class bargain and essential to any DVD collection worth a damn. The other classic that goes great with this is, of course, 12 Monkeys, also featuring Mr Pitt in another fantastic performance. They are a great pair. All together now: "his name is Robert Paulson, his name is Robert Paulson..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. I mean...just... Wow., 21 Nov 2000
By A Customer
You know, I thought "Fight Club" was gonna suck, so I didn't bother to go to the theater to see it. Apparently I wasn't alone because it did lousy box office here in the US. But some friends of mine told me it was "awesome" (of course they think everything is "awsome" - "Dude, you had to see this dead bird; it was awesome!") Anyway, I got the DVD when it came out and... Wow. David Fincher, my new hero, weaves a delightfully ticklish tale from the moment you see Edward Norton's head smooshed against Meatloaf's big man breasts. (By the way, I knew where we were during the opening title sequence, but I can see how other less gifted viewers would say, "I don't know what this is supposed to be, but it's awsome, man!") On the DVD's David Fincher commentary track he talks about how British censorship wags made him recut one particularly brutal fight scene, but they, like their American counterparts, probably just don't get it: the movie's about the frustration of a lost generation of men (young and old alike - though mostly young) yearning for a meaning in their lives, an issues Britain should seriously address because, well, hooligans. Need I say more? I hope no one spoils this movie in any of these reviews because the finale will really blow you away a la "The Sixth Sense". I won't. I'm not a jerk.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rule!, 25 July 2004
This review is from: Fight Club - 2 Disc Edition (DVD)
The first rule of fight club is; you have to see this movie,
the second rule of fight club is; YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE!
"How much do you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?". This is just one of the many deep questions asked in this action packed, mind boggling, ass kicking movie. Starring Brad Pitt(seven,kalifornia)and the marvelous Edward Norton(red dragon,american history x), this film will take your imagination on a gut wrenching ride, beat the life out of it, and then throw a few clever quotes at it. If you crave action and a mind blowing twist then this is the film for you, oh and if this is the first time you read this review.....you have to watch it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Have you heard about Tyler Durden?, 16 April 2006
This review is from: Fight Club [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
Words can't describe the intelligence and pure brilliance displayed by this masterpiece. This is a cult-classic that demands to be seen again and again, not only because of how stupidly good it is, but just to get your head round its different messages, meanings and twisted logic.

This is a story of self-discovery, taking the main character (played brilliantly by Edward Norton) through a struggle with the very foundations of our modern society and his own twisted state of mind. Brad Pitt shows yet again that he has far more to offer than just his looks, providing a fantastically confident weird 'Tyler Durden'. Every other actor fits their part like a glove without exception and each makes a convincing and valuable contribution to the film, a rare thing in modern cinema.

David Fincher (also director of Se7en) does everything right in Fight Club. Nothing, and i mean NOTHING, is in this film by accident. Every tiny detail has been carefully planned and thought through; whether it be the subliminal flashing images, the intense fight scenes or the psychological mind games constantly being played between the characters and even between the director and the audience.

To explain the storyline any further would be an exercise in futility but the ending makes the film what it is, so whatever you think of it, persevere to the end.

This is my favourite film of all time and it has a huge cult following for a very good reason. Watch Fight Club and challenge your mind and your life like you never have before; that's how powerful and relevant this film is.

5stars, without a doubt

Fight Club [1999] [DVD]
Fight Club [1999] [DVD] by David Fincher (DVD - 2004)
3.00