5.0 out of 5 stars Braveheart
I have to start by saying that historical inaccuracies aside, I love this film. It manages to give us nearly everything we could ask for in one film; honour, chivalry, betrayal, love, romance and more besides.

Published on 2 Dec 2010 by Spider Monkey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film, but well short in historical accuracy.
A well made film with some superb battle sequences, great locations and is very well cast. However, the whole film is let down by its complete fantasy in the telling of the story of Wallace. Historically it's a load of nonsense and how Gibson was allowed to get away with half of it I'll never know.
Published on 30 Dec 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Braveheart, 2 Dec 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This tells the story of William Wallace, who was a Scottish commoner who fought the English for his countries freedom. The actual person existed, although the details of his life are sketchy and this film fills them in without being factually correct. But all that aside I tend not to care about the inaccuracies (although I dislike Hollwood rewriting history) and enjoy this film for what it offers; which is passion.

The battle scenes are gruesome (as battle scenes should be) and they are filled with tension. I tend to find them all the more exciting as this film was shot before the excessive use of CGI and you can tell the groups of fighters were actually there and choreographed very well to be filmed.

This has an evocative soundtrack, probably one of the best I own, and James Horner manages to compliment the scenes with his style and compositions very well. This is one of those soundtracks I happily enjoy listening to in it's own right.

This has excellent direction from Gibson (before he had his meltdown and became the pariah of Hollywood) and shows what a good eye he has for framing and capturing the emotion on screen. This has an excellent cast and Patrick McGoohan is especially good as the ruthless and menacing King of England, Edward the Longshanks.

There is plenty of intrigue, double crossing and betrayal to keep you second guessing and shows the mercenary aspects of medieval politics very well. All in all this is a very satisfying film and one I can happily watch again and again (and I do watch this at regular intervals) and whilst it has it's detractors, if you take it in the spirit it was made in, this makes for one exhilarating and spellbinding movie.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray barbarian, 13 Nov 2009
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
William Wallace leads a Scottish rebellion against the King of England, Edward I. A stirring nationalistic epic that takes more than a few liberties with historical accuracy in the interests of delivering cinematic entertainment, but it is acted and directed with great gusto, creating a sense of myth and legend with its sweep and passion. As for Mel Gibson in the leading role, it wasn't so much his faux Scottish accent that let him down, rather it was some of his cheeky facial expressions that I'm sure I have seen in one or other of his Lethal Weapon outings.

As a Blu-Ray film this is far better than the standard DVD, so in the faint possibility that you have yet to see Braveheart, and assuming you have the necessary HD hardware of course, then this is surely the best version to watch. It isn't quite as good as the very latest high-definition films but it's nevertheless a worthwhile choice. The audio options included English/French/German 5.1 dts, and another with a commentary by Mel Gibson. Subtitles are in English, French, German, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch. Spoken language options are English, French, and German. Special features include 'William Wallace's World', a re-run of the film with in-set maps and historical commentary about Wallace and the lives of the Scottish in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray quality, 3 Nov 2009
mr david cairns "wesnut" (kennoway, fife Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Well,
My Braveheart blu-ray arrived yesterday morning,and I watched it last night,no review of the actual film,EVERYBODY has seen it,I,m reviewing the blu-ray quality.
I read that the first 15-20 minutes of this film is so-so quality,and gets much better afterwards,well,I didn,t see so-so quality,I think this is a really beautiful transfer,and the sound quality is tremendous,you think you,re actually at the Battle of Stirling!!!
Whoever was behind this glorious transfer deserves all the plaudits going,I haven,t checked the Special Features yet,I would highly recommend this blu-ray,if you have seen Braveheart,this is the only way to watch it,it knocks spots of the dvd,if you haven,t seen it,jeez are you in for a treat.
I,m not comparing it to any other blu-ray,Braveheart stands on it,s own blu-ray quality,a MUST buy.
Davy Cairns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer, 2 Nov 2009
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So we have the 15th anniversary edition of Braveheart in 2009 which was made in 1995....hmmmm?

Anyway, despite the historical inaccuracies that many moan about, Braveheart is still a great watch and now that they've done a great job on the HD transfer, there's no better time to enjoy it for the first time or to revisit.

I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the best transfer yet but it's huge leap over the DVD. Excellent audio through the DTS-HD Master too. I haven't seen the extra's yet but it does look like they are in HD too.

Audio: DTS HD MST Eng and French; DTS German
Subs: French, German, Danish; Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish and Dutch

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 24 Feb 2007
This review is from: Braveheart [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
Those that have yet to watch this would do well to take advantage of such a bargain. Whilst it is not an accurate account of time gone by it is enjoyable to watch. Braveheart is a film that won't bore you and will keep you on your toes. I enjoy it every time I watch it and can't help but want the Scots to win (despite being English!) I've got one or two issues with Mel Gibsons 'scottish' accent but its not that bad. Despite a long running time of 171 minutes I find this flies by. Don't be put off by the not so accurate historical facts. This does not hurt what is in all fairness an excellent film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Braveheart [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
Love braveheart my favourite film

5.0 out of 5 stars Braveheart, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Braveheart [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
although the truth was bent a little this movie was great and l loved every minute of it and will keep my copy

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st class, 18 Oct 2013
Essential film to add to my steelbox collection . Fantastic service and box near perfect
The savings was great especially with the recession on .... so yes very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars even better i blu ray, 17 Oct 2013
great movie loved it even better in hd, had move on dvd and the blu ray makes it so much better

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Braveheart [1995] [DVD] (DVD)
Watched the movie as a kid years ago. having recently got married up in Scotland, my husband was keen to see the movie again. Very speedy and efficient delivery and an excellent movie with perfect quality.

Braveheart [1995] [DVD]
Braveheart [1995] [DVD] by Mel Gibson (DVD - 2004)
5.15