5.0 out of 5 stars Immerse yourself in Lemon Jelly and get sticky.
Published on 29 April 2005 by T Saunter

3.0 out of 5 stars Better or worse?...
Published on 10 July 2008 by nicjaytee

5.0 out of 5 stars Immerse yourself in Lemon Jelly and get sticky., 29 April 2005
T Saunter (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 64 to 95 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
It's always a fear when a favourite artist 'evolve' their sound. The reviews are either really positive, or scarily negative! When I bought Lemon Jelly's third album, I must admit I was scared I was setting myself up for a huge let-down (some true fan I am!) but my fears were unfounded. This DVD album is simply superb, a must-have, a jewel in the Jelly crown, and every other positive cliche I can think of to sell it to you.
The fact that Lemon Jelly had full creative control over the album's production, it's sleeve design, it's promotion, and every track's accompanying music video is testament to the effing hard work these guys put in to give their audience an authentic Lemon Jelly experience.
The video's have a trippy quality, much in keeping with Lemon Jelly's music. Each track on the DVD has a unique look and feel, from the simple landscape-cruising on "Slow Train" to the complex and actually quite moving "Stay With You". This is a perfect DVD to whack on late at night, when the party is winding down. It will get people's attention, it will keep the party going, it will make you look cool. Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better or worse?..., 10 July 2008
This review is from: '64-'95 (Audio CD)
Lemon Jelly move on but not necessarily quite where you expect... and, for fans of "Lost Horizons" this one needs care. Less quirky than its hugely successful predecessor, "'64 to '95" moves closer to mainstream club music, losing and gaining on the way. Gone is much of the humorous and inherently "uplifting" feel of "Lost Horizons" that made it such an enjoyable mass appeal album, in its place is a harder edge with more drawn out, less "easy-listening" work-outs of its themes. Serious stuff then, but is it any good?

Well, first impressions aren't great - initially most tracks seem like fairly lightweight electro-rambles underpinned by some odd & often annoying looped samples. But, after a few times through, things start to register much more positively, revealing an album that's got enough hooks and interest to keep you coming back for more. And as you do several tracks including "Come Down on Me", "A Man Like Me", "The Slow Train" and the genuinely "exciting" "Go", start to really grab your attention, while others just get... more annoying.

In the end there's enough good music in "'64 to '95" to allow it to hold its own against "serious" competition, but there's a lot of it about and you can't help feeling that it's a shame they couldn't keep pushing further into the unique and gently bizarre realms of "Lost Horizons". If that's what you want there's not too much on offer here - better to check-out Elephant Talk's wonderfully undiscovered albums - but if you want several more high quality, downbeat electronica/dance tracks to add to your collection then it should hit the button.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 27 Nov 2005
This review is from: '64-'95 (Audio CD)
This has class written all over it. Starts with a big crescendo-type chord, which could be a drect lift from any number of Pink Floyd finishes, and moves forward from there. Wonderfully emotive, well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Layered excellence, 1 April 2013
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: '64-'95 (Audio CD)
I have had the 64-95 album lying around for a while, having been a fan of Lost Horizons. This LP is a lot different, less radio edit and more late night lounge. I didn't really appreciate until recently upgrading my audio system. Out of curiosity I fired this album and then, only then, did I get it.

The multi-layered synths, mashed guitar samples, thumping analogue loops coming through next door's wall all come alive on a good system and need to be treated with deference (and a fair bit of wedge) to be appreciated for what it is.

I will be honest and say I didn't recognise many of the samples, I am sure a keener ear will pick out most of the original source material but I just sat back and enjoyed it for what it is.

If you are reading this then you know Lemonjelly and know what their sound is all about. This album is perhaps slightly less accessible than previous offerings but it is none the worse for it. In fact it is a grower and these kind of albums tend to be played more in the long run.

Brilliant ambient, electronica with a thumping heart.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best DVD..., 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: 64 to 95 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Look, just put it this way...
I own a lot of DVDs. A lot. And this is the ONLY one that I regularly put on and watch, beginning to end. I didn't know Lemon Jelly before this DVD, and on first viewing (at a friend's house) I didn't know what to think. But I've got a 5.1 system, and I've got a big TV, and this is THE BEST DVD I own. It's mixed into surround sound and the visuals are freakin' amazing.
I love this DVD. It takes me through happiness, joy, calm and OH MY GOD THAT MOMENT IN 'GO'.

Just buy it. Really. Just buy it.

Peace.
x

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual extravaganza, 31 Jan 2005
Skylord (Somerset, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 64 to 95 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Listen to '64-'95 on CD first and you may be slightly dissapointed with "The Jelly". Watch this afterwards and it all comes together. This is a psychedelic extravaganza that I think is going to become legendary, rather like the animations of The Beatles "Yellow Submarine".

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great!, 4 Mar 2013
B. Weaver "grumpy" (on the outer curved bit) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 64 to 95 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
This takes me back to my days of piling round a shared house or a hall of residence after a hard night of clubbing.
These are good fun tracks and visuals even if your iris' haven't disappeared and you're not chewing your own tongue or wearing out your Fila Trailblazers.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: '64-'95 (Audio CD)
I have two previous Lemon Jelly album's, my favourite is Lost Horizon. This album was a little disappointing since I was hoping it was just as mellow & quirky as their previous work. It has a faster more clubby feel to it. I gave it 3 stars because if you really like that sort of music you'll love it. Its not dissimilar to the Layo and Bushwacka album 'Love Story' Its still quite nice music, but if you're after the original experimental Lemon Jelly sound then don't go for this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Visual Brilliance, 2 Oct 2005
This review is from: 64 to 95 [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
The Lemon Jelly guys are amazing! Not only are they able to release an album that, despite it's differing qualities can't fail to reflect the brilliance of their previous two, they're also able to put forward nine equally as brilliant videos to go with it. Now name me (with the exception of The Beatles) a band thats managed to carry that out!
Keeping to the Lemon Jelly VISUAL style (and if not slightly improving it) the videos incorporate a range of 3d and 2d animation and occasional live action techniques. From the epic opening video (if you put aside the intro) of Come Down On Me to the wacky Shouty Track that looks at a completely different style of animation, this set of videos won't fail to impress or inspire. The only 'bad seed' (that justifies a four star rating instead of five) is the video for Don't Stop Now, which, like its accompanying song is just too repetative and slightly bland. But please don't let this put you off! Its a small price to pay for an otherwise flawless composition.
Oh yes, and whats more, like the album they run into each other. So it's perfect for adding a VJ aspect to parties and alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: '64-'95 (Audio CD)
Great, great, great if I didn't think so I would not give it 5 stars.

'64-'95
'64-'95 by Lemon Jelly (Audio CD - 2005)