5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply Blown Away

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply Blown Away, 10 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
I first heard of Dizzee rascal when I heard "I Luv U" on Channel U on Sky. The first album had not been released at that point and he had just been stabbed in Ayia Napa. Having listened to and fallen in love with "I Luv U" I purchased his first album "Boy In Da Corner" as soon as it was released and for the first couple of weeks I thought the album was OK. As I listened more I fell in love with a few of the tracks and after a couple of months I absolutely loved every song, I can't believe how deep some of the lyrics are and was especially touched by his messages to kids to try hard in school and do your own thing.
So obviously I awaited the release of "Showtime" with quite a lot of excitement, I booked the day off work to listen to it and was very impressed, it has been out for just 4 days now and I have fallen in love with a number of tracks already and I know that the others will all grow on me. The lyrics are untouchable, never have I known somebody to be so positive and so uplifting, I would seriously compare Dizzee Rascal to 2pac who is in my opinion the greatest artist of all time, Dizzee talks about how hard things can be and talks about the struggle but he is filled with positivity and hope, he has proven that anyone can be a success from any background & he suggests time & time again throughout the album that with hard work anything is possible. The beats & Bass lines are awesome in some of the tracks and the dashes of comedy are what I have come to expect from him. My favourite tracks at the moment are "Get By" again a song of hop, "Imagine" is also an excellent thought provoking song. I am also a big fan of "face" "respect me" and "stand up tall"
Excellent album, excellent artist, excellent example

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Masterpiece, 22 Oct 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
Yet another masterpiece from the producer/rapper - Dylan Mills (Dizzee Rascal). Where to start on this album. If you are a regular listener to Dizzee then you will be pleased to know that 'Showtime' is coming close to the quality of 'Boy in da corner'. I know that that Dizzee Rascal has been on the garage scene now for a couple of years but due to how well 'Stand Up Tall', has done and how well 'Dream' is going to do, you can see that from now Dizzee is going to be becoming bigger and bigger in the way of music. He already has a Mercury Award to prove that he's descent, you dont win one of them for being a one hit wonder. 'Showtime' starts with a quick intro for Dylan to just recap on whats been going on since 2003. Then it soon gets into the album and what not to start it better with but the single 'Stand Up Tall'. Soon after, a quick garage beat is dropped with 'Everywhere' ('My names is Dizzee Diz, I hadle my Biz' - Simple but genius. Amazing songs such as 'Graftin', 'Learn' (brilliant song), 'Hype Talk' and 'Face' follow. The second part of 'Showtime', with the funny yet Remarkable 'Dream' is just as good with the Unbelievable 'Imagine' and the perfect ending of 'Fickle'. Oh yes, lets not forget the excellent fluent rhymes of 'Respect Me'. For example, 'Coz, from holly street to hollywood, its all good, from New York to ur cool, its all cool....'. I could go on all day about why every song is good but this is only a review. However I do have to say that is definitely not Boy In Da Corner Part 2 as its less grimey and mor towards the hip-hop side of things. I would definitely recommend this to any garage/hip-hop lover, a must have album. BUY IT NOW!!

(Bonus DVD with videos of Fix Up, Look Sharp, Jus A Rascal, I Luv U and Stand Up Tall - Excellent)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning release, 6 Sep 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
After his stunning debut i was more than a little afraid that Dizzee Rascal's follow up was not going to live up to expectations, either going too commercial or too abstract ala Tricy's Pre Millenium Tension.
However, listening to it for the first time now, it is clear that although his sound has moved on it is still as interesting and unique as before.
With more focus on bass this time, the tracks often sound more like slowed down rephlex music than standard grime.
The rapping as well is still as unique as ever and would definitely recommend you at least give it a try. The second listen is the one which always hooks you......

5.0 out of 5 stars J.BURNHAM, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
Just about the best i have heard,i am in the 60's age range,but still enjoy his RAP,and,get my poor aged limbs well into action!Exeptional album!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Showtime Grime, 5 Sep 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
Showtime is a hard-hitting follow up to 2003's Mercury Prize winner Boy In Da Corner. The East London Grime legend is back this time reflecting on his success in the past 12 months, making a more light hearted listen than Boy In Da Corner. Stand Up Tall is an obvious representation of this. Dizzee's back representing the UK which obviously is no bad thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing return to the scene, 4 Sep 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pre realease of this album and all i can say is it hasnt left my stereo since. if you liked boy in the corner which i sure did you will also like this album. it takes a few listens but then you realise how genius it is. top tracks : learn, everywhere, stand up tall, get by, imagine

4.0 out of 5 stars Grimy..., 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
With sparse - and often almost discordant - beats, coupled with Dizzee's LDN style aggressive rapping, this is certainly grime at it's best.

I do feel it's a shame there's the odd 'cheesy' moment like the 'Happy Talk' sample in 'Dream', but then again Dizzee's vocals and lyrics are strong enough for the track to maintain it's credibility (besides, I don't think he's taking himself too seriously on that particular track!).

'Showtime' is not quite as accessible as you might hope for the 2nd album from a Mercury Music Prize winner but does grow stronger and more enjoyable with each listen.
Singles "Stand Up Tall" and "Graftin'" stand out as a little more mainstream in their delivery and do actually serve as a good introduction to Dizzee Rascal's work and this album. However, do expect the album to be a little darker, musically and lyrically, compared to the singles.
Personally, I always hate the first few listens of most albums; while the tracks are still unfamiliar I just can't get in to them. However, as the lyrics become more discernable and different layers of sound emerge and become clearer with every play, this album will be one I'll keep coming back to for my grime fix.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boy's outta the corner, 30 Aug 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
I dont like grime music. Or whatever its meant to be called. I'm a straight hip hop fella. My favourite rappers are MF DOOM and Edan at the moment, as well as Nas and Ghostface. I love Lewis Parker and Jehst. Supposed real British hip hop. I didnt really like the first Dizzee album. I wondered what all the fuss was about. I did like I luv u and Fix up look sharp, but some of the LP i thought was horrible. Even if it did win the Mercury Music Prize. However this album is a totally different beast. Nothing but astonishing rhymes and energy that was showing on some of the first album. And the production fits. Almost perfectly. If this is the growth just over one album I cant wait for the next one the lad's hopefully got up his sleeve. I've been converted. This is monumental in my mind. Well done Diz. Nice one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dizzee Rascal - Showtime, 8 Sep 2004
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
After the masterpiece that was 'Boy in the Corner', much was expected of Garage Artist Dizzee Rascal ... Boy in the Corner with its thought invoking lyrics and heavy beats it was always going to be hard to produce something of the same magnitude again ... 'Showtime' was to me, personally a big dissapointment, most of the lyrics having been used in his previous 'battles' and showcases thus being a highly unoriginal piece of work ... but to the easy going fan ... A decent buy

5.0 out of 5 stars amazin!!!, 6 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Showtime (Audio CD)
Amazin!! exactly what i was hopin for, not too different from boy in the corner, but different enough, in the best ways. lyrically superior to b.i.t.c and production is slighly more polished but still crazy and obscure.Some people might say he moans a bit on some tracks, but it's better than braggin like all that dull american rubbish. buy it!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Showtime
Showtime by Dizzee Rascal (Audio CD - 2004)