Without a doubt, these are the best priced Lego 'Plates' on the net. After selling a huge amount of Lego many years ago, I've needed quite a few baseplates to keep my old Minifigures on (Lets face it, it's not the easiest task to keep them together!) and so its good to see that these are still being sold separately. Many high-street toy shops sell this product in a variety of colours, and of course Lego themselves do through their Online and retail stores, but their was no way on Earth I could pay their prices. Trust Amazon then to undercut them all by almost 50%, which means I can order twice as many baseplates and get them for basically half the price.

In return, Amazon's pricing is a completely fair reflection of, what is surely, one of the most basic and essential Lego products on the market, and will continue to be so.

This baseplate itself is the classic green colour, and its design hasn't changed for almost 20 years. One of the best attributes of these Plates is that if they get dirty/dusty, you can wash them no problem at all. Just pop them in a tub of warm water (with a gentle solution, if you prefer), remove and wipe thoroughly with a tea-towel, then you're good to go again!

I read reviews of other baseplates (including the Extra Large version) and noted many suggesting that the plates seemed 'flimsier' now than many years ago. Just to reform this argument, the current design baseplate was only introduced in the early 1990's, and in comparing my new green one to an old 'sandy' coloured one that I got with a Pirate's set around 1991, they are both just as stiff. I would therefore suggest that the flimsiness depends entirely on the baseplates size. 'Plates before the 1990's were indeed thicker, but they were also a different design.

Only improvement I would suggest for retailing is that, in addition to selling them on their own, Lego should sell these baseplates in 'packs' of 4 - thus saving shelve space and money. It would be lovely to see them either with packs of the same colour, or one with Red, Blue, Green and Grey included.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 November 2005
So it's a green base plate - it's ideal for building lego structures on and as it's green you can pretend that it's grass, great for gardens I hear you cry!
If you (or your kids) want to build houses/zoos then buy this.
on 13 June 2010
I used 4 to make a tabletop. Did what I wanted and grandson has a great time building
on 24 November 2009
The lego green base plate is smaller than the extra large grey version (LEGO Creator 628 Xlarge Grey Baseplate), measuring 10 inches square (32 studs) rather than 15 inches square (48 studs). As it is a green colour this baseplate is better suited to make parks, gardens and other things like that, though that doesn't mean it can't be used for other things. Incidentally as the board measures 32 studs by 32 studs, it makes it the perfect size to construct a chess board out of, assuming each piece is 4 x 4 studs.

Pieces are easily stuck to the board, and also easily removed. Though as a word of caution, this base plate along with the grey one is too big to fit inside the lego box kits such as Lego 5573 Build & play - limited edition - 643 pieces, which is a shame. Though all in all, still a very good purchase for budding lego builders.
on 5 December 2005
This is an extremely useful addition to any Lego collection.
Not only does it hold bits of Lego still making them easier to be added to, it encourages 3-D building for children who have a tendency to build 2-D 'towers'.
Can be linked together with other plates of the same or different colours to create towns, beaches etc. and stretch young imaginations.
Also very useful when you are putting Lego away. Just stick all the blocks onto the board and you have a solid lump of Lego, reducing the loss of small parts.
on 4 September 2010
It does exactly what you expect and makes construction of larger models and scenes much easier. As it is not rigid and flexes a bit on carpet it is easiest to use on a table or on a hard floor. My only real gripe is with the price and at £4.99 when I bought mine from Amazon this was about the cheapest you can find. Lego need to offer multi-packs of these; two for £6 would seem reasonable.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Without a base Lego is pretty useless. It's one of the parts I feel should be bundled with the larger Lego brick boxes but isn't. If you want to build anything serious then this big green base plate is a must have. It will enable the building of many things such as houses, shuttle launchers etc and massively expands the usefulness of any Lego collection.
on 8 December 2008
I could not resist reviewing a piece of bobbly green plastic that you press lego bricks onto. It is bobbly, it is green, it is a piece of plastic that you press lego bricks onto - what else to say? It is essential to my 4 year old's model building technique and he loves his lego.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2012
First of all, I would just like to say that the price amazon are selling these for are the best prices I have found, I have bid on baseplates on eBay and every time they've always gone up to higher prices than this even without postage. So I am very impressed with the price of 4.99 I paid.

Second of all, I'm not too please with the size. This isn't Amazon's fault. Lego seems to be a bit tight these days! However, I bought four and stuck them together to get the size I want. I did look at the x-large baseplate but for the price it was cheaper to do it this way and its not that much bigger.

I have to admit, although this is a thin baseplate and not double sided like the building plates from back in the day, I am shocked, I already have one of the thin baseplates from about twenty years ago and you can't see through it like these. If you hold them up to the window you can see your hand through it but this doesn't happen with the older ones. Just make sure you stick them down with tape or blue tack to avoid any damage.

However, despite the few negative points, I am sooooo excited to play with this, I'm not even going to bother pretending it's for my kids or siblings because its not, it's all mine and my boyfriends! I'm ordering a set of 1600 blocks as we speak and my life is now dedicated to building something spectacular!
on 21 May 2011
The bricks attach to it very well and we have had it for a couple of months now and it is still in one piece and still flat (which is a miracle in the house)