4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up
Lets get this out of the way first - I am a huge fan, always have been, always will be. However, I would hope that this fact wouldn't stop me from giving an honest and critical opinion where necessary. For instance, Iron Fist had internal turmoil written all over it coz it was crap. More up to date and their last release, Hammered, was formulaic and uninspiring. Although...
Published on 13 July 2004 by Ian Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Hot...
Published on 7 July 2004 by Aiden O'Brien

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Inferno [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This is album is awesome. You will not be disappointed. Every song is superb!! Go on buy it!! What your ears were designed for!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% energy, 12 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Inferno (Audio CD)
After dropping out following the "Perfect Day", many years ago, I recently bought ALL the missing ones, with apologies to Lemmy ;-) Well this album, Inferno (and the DVD) really stand out as one of the best. Actually all MHead albums have been very good, only one I find weaker being "Sacrifice" which I think does not hold much appeal.
Coming back to Inferno, I can't add much new to what the other reviewers have written, except my total agreement. This album rocks really fast and hard, has memorable songs, and has my current favourite MHead song, called "Suicide". Phil Campbell is amazing. They are coming on tour close to my place soon and I have the tickets, I can't wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lemmy's best in a while..., 3 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
Given that the last couple of Head albums, Hammered and We Are Motorhead, had been dissapointing, you'd be forgiven for having low expectations of Inferno. Nice to be surprised though isn't it. Turns out Lem still has it in him to throw out a few real scorchers in his old age.
Inferno kicks off with three of the best, and most ferocious, songs the band has recorded in over a decade, and even though the pace drops off a little after the initial onslaught, the rest of the album is pretty good too. Other particular noteables being In the Year of the Wolf and The Keys to the Kingdom.
The DVD that accompanies this special edition is excellent; featuring live recordings from Hammersmith, and an entertaining documentary that's a little like an expanded version of the Classic Albums/Ace of Spades DVD. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars kedjo, 16 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Inferno (Audio CD)
I would give this album even more stars if they were available! If not as a whole this album is great for just one song: IN THE YEAR OF THE WOLF!!! Maybe I am mistaking, but this song is one of the best songs that I ever heard! Listening to it you could almost feel as you are part of the tribe! Here is a little something:
It was the wolf in me,
And all my soul was fire,
By the cold, dull moon,
Blood, red, desire,
It was the wolf in me,
I howled the cold night through,
The year I ran as a wolf,
Tonight the food is you

4.0 out of 5 stars Motorhead - Inferno 2004, 7 July 2006
S. Pike "musicmad" (England) - See all my reviews
This album is a killer.The best album so far.There are quite a few good tracks on this album,such as Terminal Show,Killers,In The Name Of Tragedy,Smiling Like A Killer,and the blues track to finish Whorehouse Blues.The DVD is good,has a few live tracks off the inferno tour.We Are The Roadcrew,Killers,Love For Sale,Bomber,and the making and video of Whorehouse Blues,and also interviews from Phil "Philthy Animal"Taylor,Eddie"Fast"Clarke and the later members Mikkey Dee And Phil Campbell.I would advise any metal fan to buy this (We Are Motorhead-Born To Kick Your Ass).Lemmy and the crew still going,heart and soul for rock and roll.4/5,one to buy!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Hot..., 7 July 2004
This review is from: Inferno [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Motorhead really are legendary. Countless bands have been inspired by them. Most metalheads know the lyrics to this most famous song, "Ace Of Spades", off by heart. With "Inferno" some harsh questions must be asked; Does "Inferno" have enough juice in it to burn alive everything in it's path, signalling a triumphant return to "Ace.." glory days? Or barely enough to singe a flammable monkeys butt, showing that in todays metal scene, Motorhead are a novelty act who should limit to touring and pumping out the golden oldies rather than going back into the studio again?
Sadly I must say that the answer to this question leans much farther to the latter. The lyrics on this album are absolutely terrible; example 'We'll kill you 'till you die' from "Killers"; 'Did you bang your head? Did you go to bed? Do you still feel pretty funky?' from "In The Name Of Tragedy". And I know lyrics aren't exactly the deciding factor to whether a song is good or not, but Lemmy's vocals are just plain crap. I know that even in his "prime", Lemmy wasn't the best singer, sounding gruff and horrible. But on this album it's as if Lemmy could break down into a coughing fit at any given verse. Listening to this album you run the serious risk of the phlegm that was caught in Lemmy's mouth suddenly erupting out of your speakers and hitting you in the face!
Now I've already bashed the lyrics and vocals, so what about the actual music? Well it's good... But not great if you get my meaning. The majority of these riffs are rehashed versions of old Motorhead songs, tired and worn out. There are some great rock tracks on her such as "In The Name Of Tragedy", "In The Black", "Fight" and "Smiling Like A Killer", but the rest range from good to average.
Overall if you're after "Ace Of Spades #2" then you'll be severly dissapointed. And although I never expected much from the lyrics, the majority of topics on discussion here are women and killing... Sometimes combined! Lemmy must have been dragging his knuckles on the floor like a caveman in the ten minutes that it took him to write these lyrics. Also the songs do suffer the fate of sounding too much alike, hard to tell one from the next. Excluding the closing track, "Whorehouse Blues" which is very laid back and... Well, bluesy actually. A song in which it finally sounds like Lemmy has finally coughed up whatever was stuck in his throat.
It's not that Motorhead really needed a triumphant return... Truth is they never left. And that might be the problem. There was very little publicity surrounding the release of this album, and I only knew that a new 'Head album was in the works but it was when I saw their new album in stores when I knew the release date of the album. Perhaps they need a few years off, no touring or studio time, re-charge their batteries and hopefully be all the better for it when/if they return.
I hopefully will be going to see them in November but I do hope the set-list contains more golden oldies than "Inferno" material. I give this album 2 stars. 2 and a half if I'm being generous.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Inferno
Inferno by Motörhead (Audio CD - 2010)