5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant, 17 July 2004
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
i never expected that sonic youth would make it again to the top of my albums-of-the-year top. i mean as a big fun, i always counted them in my top ten, but this album is undoubtedly their best since long time
tha ballance between experimentation and kicking rock songwriting is to be taught in any school of rock
i hear new bands of 20-year-olds and the kids are already old and boring
these fellas in their 50's they totally justify their name once again
sonic youth, tell the nurse to keep waiting...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondrous, and Sublime, 21 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
Sonic Youth are so on form right now, that this album is just unbelievable! Having been a fan for well over a decade , I always wonder how they can come up with fresh creativity, but this album is excellent. This is their most epic album since Washing Machine. The quality of the songs in terms of range and depth are wonderful. Particular highlights are Kim numbers 'I love you golden blue', and the chaotic scramble of 'Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream'.
Also featured is one of Lee Ranaldo's finest songs the political anti-Bush administration 'Paper Cup Exit'. Elsewhere, in 'Stones' you have wonderful riffs that recall such era defining highs as 'Sugar Kane' from the Dirty album.
The whole album is much more melodic and warmer than recent outings, and is very focused.
SY seem to be enjoying their status as Grand Purveyers of Slacker Cool, and it shows. This is an album, demonstrating a band so comfortable with where they are at, and for anyone who has found them largely innaccesible this is probably a very good place to start. It's wonderful, and with great album artwork by legendary NY artist Richard Prince you cannot go wrong. 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nurse! Nurse!, 14 May 2004
Alan Moore "evilcat" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: SONIC NURSE ENH (Audio CD)
Yet another SY album is out, and no noubt once again we'll hear the refrain 'back on top form' or 'best album since Daydream Nation' which seem to come with almost everything they put out.
Cutting to the chase, this is nothing new from Sonic Youth -- it's yet another refinement of the formula they had perfected by 1995's Washing Machine LP. It doesn't scale the heights of 97's 1000 Leaves either, but feels like a continuation of Murray Street. Murray Street was flawed, containing only three (or four, depending on your point of view) outstanding tracks from seven. In the weeks I've been listening to Nurse, there's only on track I skip -- '...Arthur Doyle Hand Cream.'
The album is a pastoral as 1000 Leaves was, yet has that more electric tinge than was present on Murray Street. The Youth seem to be mellowing with age (even Peace Attack, the 'anti-Bush' song, is mellow in sound, if not sentiment).
Rejoicing from long-time Youth fans will be heard when the standout track (I Love You Golden Blue) hits their ears -- it plays like a warmer version of the quiet parts of The Diamond Sea. It also has Kim Gordon's first soft vocal that isn't just mumbling in a long time -- she sounds nothing like on Lightnin' or Contre de le Sexisme, and in fact sounds more like the breathy vocals she mastered on Dirty's JC and most of her tracks on Experimental Jet Set. She sounds at once fragile and sexy, and the song sends a shiver up the spine every time it is played. I would recommend the album on the back of this track alone.
For those panicking that the noise levels have dropped, the first track on the LP, pattern recognition, recalls the sound of Confusion is Sex in some guitar lines, while the 'modem guitar' effect from Murray Street's Disconnection Notice can be heard buried deep in the mix at several points.
While this album is unlikely to convert listeners already bewitched by SY's 23 year journey into sound, it is a great addition to their already considerable works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep sleep, 11 Oct 2006
Attila Zahorak (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
Well, I am not familiar with Sonic Youth. But I listened to this album, then I listened two times more, and I bought it.

This is a masterpiece. U hear 'Pattern Recognition' for first, a riff overdosed, screaming hard ride. The shift between Kim's and Thurston's voice and between feelings gives a real color to the disk. As we are coming along, once just 'Dude Ranch Nurse' can be heard. I had to get some takes to get inside this, really...I was always into deep and dark things, but this is a feeling I rarely ever get. Those melodies, the singing, the whole sound gently puts inside a strange, inhuman, breathless world. These are probably one of the most strong line I've ever heard:

"Let nurse give you a shot

It's something to do...

I could love you

I could have you

Deep sleep coming along"

Yeah deep sleep. A slight nightmare. And 'New Hampshire' wakes you up. And finally 'I Love You Golden Blue' should be highlighted. It's not a nightmare, just something beautiful melancoly. Good enough for epilogue, on which 'Peace Attack' is the point.

So all in all..perfect start, perfect finish. Perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars as good as ever, 7 July 2004
Liam Kennedy "shweeney" (dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
I had lost touch with Sonic Youth over the last few years and on the evidence of this release they seem to have mellowed out somewhat (and also acquired a fifth member in Jim O'Rourke). This is a beautiful album - laid-back and sprawling tracks, opaque guitar lines topped with their usual cooler-than-anyone vocals.
Best tracks come from Kim Gordon - the wonderfully messy "KG and the Arthur Doyle handcream" and the spaced-out drone of "I love you Golden Blue" but overall there isn't a weak track here (except perhaps the bonus track). Well worth getting if you were a fan of SY in their heyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl version, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sonic Nurse [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I first purchased this album on CD during the first week of release. The edition I have includes 'Kim Chords' as a UK bonus track. I say all this to identify the particular CD I have as the sound quality is pretty dull and lacks texture. After years of indecision, I saw an offer of a vinyl pressing on Amazon that was not too expensive (I'd much rather spend my limited amount of pennies discovering new music.) However the sound quality is a revelation by comparison to what I've been used to hearing on this album. Jim O'Rourke's excellent mix is as beautifully crafted as on his own albums and this pressing reveals all the texture and expression one could hope for. For some reason side 3 (New Hampshire and Paper Cup Exit) suffers from quite a bit of surface noise which does get in the way a bit, but the rest of the pressing is excellent. All in all, I am one very happy customer. Oh, and this is a damn good record.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peace Attack, 16 Oct 2011
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of SY since 198something. I first saw them, purely by accident, on the Bad Moon Rising tour (supporting Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, what a night!) & was instantly hooked, along with a lot of other listeners, I expect? SY were absolutely stunning back then, & completely different to all the other "alternative" (ugh!) music we were listening to - unashamedly sporting hippyish tie dye, happy to profess a liking for Iggy AND Madonna, & not afraid to display their wicked sense of humour (pretty uncool back then). I worshipped them for several years, but fell out with them & their music circa Dirty - a disappointingly opportunistic record, it suggested that they were being trend-led for the first time, rather than setting the pace themselves. Never, er, mind.

A decade slipped by before I bought anything else by them - 2002's Murray Street, my interest fired by Jim O'Rourke's unexpected recuitment - & I was so impressed with how they'd allowed their sound to gracefully mellow out, without sacrificing their experimental edge, that I predictably ended up working my way backwards through their catalogue, picking up the bits that I'd missed (A Thousand Leaves is particularly impressive). Their NEXT album, 2004's Sonic Nurse, is my personal favourite of their post-Goo period I think?: 10 fine songs, plus an excellent bonus track (2 if you're VERY lucky). Only Kim's vocal (on "The Arthur Doyle Hand Cream") grates, though perhaps that was intentional?

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Best Modern SY, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Sonic Nurse [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Good combination of darker SY sounds and poppish melodies and ideas. Band sound really good playing together. Rhythm music at it's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing..., 3 July 2008
Terry Bright (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
this is the first of any Sonic youth material i heard..and i was blown away ....this is an amaing abum...unmade bed is a beautiful song....
5 stars ! *****

5.0 out of 5 stars The same, yet so different, 27 Sep 2005
This review is from: Sonic Nurse (Audio CD)
To me this album sounds alot like 'washing machine' but that is not a bad thing atall. While i find 'washing machine' to be a bit monotonous at times, this i find i can listen to repeatedly.
The album opens with a very strong piece, 'pattern recognition' whihch has a strong sense many of the songs on 'Murray Sreet'
I am not going to go through track by track because i think if you're gonna buy this Album, you shoudl make your own mind up about wether you like the 'new' sonic youth sound. If your familiar territory is 'dirty' (grunge) or 'Daydream Nation' (punk) you will find this sound alot different to those 2 albums. This is the sound of the new sonic youth, which they picked up on 'thousand leaves' a more chilled out sound, with alt. tuned guitars and quiet vocals. There is not much of the poetry style vocals that can be found on a few previous releases, but i think it benefits from that.
Stand-out tracks include the awesome' Unmade bed' which you have to hear to appreciate and the brillaint Loud/Quiet Loud/quiet 'new hampshire'
Sonic youth have come a long way from 'confusion is sex' and have created their own unique sound and have proven themselves to be true Avant-garde rockers.

Sonic Nurse
Sonic Nurse by Sonic Youth (Audio CD - 2004)