5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect baby thermometer
We have three thermometers at home for our little boy, a Grobag egg, one built into the baby monitor and this Philips one. But it is this Philips one I like the best.

Published on 31 Oct. 2008 by Smithy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so hot
Having researched a number of similar products, I bought this thermometer mainly because it received favourable reviews for giving an accurate temperature reading. I also liked the design, but wish the manufacturer offered more colour choices - I would have liked a pink one for our little girl's room!

The thermometer is a nice looking object, and I have no...
Published on 13 Sept. 2011 by Nicola Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect baby thermometer, 31 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Philips AVENT SCH550/20 Bath and Room Thermometer (Baby Product)

The Philips thermometer consists of a good, no-nonsense easily read LCD display showing the temperature. The display is covered with a little plastic circle - which looks like it could scratch - but ours hasn't despite some real rough handling. This is mounted into a good tough rubber flower -- not too soft and not too hard. We're happy to let our little boy chew away on it now that he's teeting. In fact he quite likes playing with it. It gets dropped and thrown but is still going strong and has not discoloured or anything.

It seems fully waterproof to test the bath temperature (and is handily marked 37C to remind you want the temperature should be). It is also free-standing for use as a room thermometer. We also threw it in our bags for holiday without worry and used it to check the pool temperature.

It seems pretty acurate, I trust it, and it changes its reading quickly.

On of the benefits of this one is that it is battery powered, so no having to move leads around like the Grobag one. It goes from room to room with us when necessary. Not sure how long the battery lasts, but some friends have had theirs for four years without having to replace it.

We've now had ours for a year, and all in all, I'd highly recommend it.

6 May 2014 UPDATE: Just a quick addition to say we've now had this thermometer for six years in constant use and it is still going strong with the original battery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful gadget, 22 Aug. 2011
The first time I gave my baby son a bath I attempted to use the traditional "elbow" technique to gauge the bath temperature. For those not in the know, supposedly you just stick your elbow in the water and when it feels "just right", it's OK for your baby.

Well maybe I've just got sensitive elbows, or don't really understand what on earth "just right" is supposed to mean, as first bath time went something like this:

1. Fill bath to what I think is correct temperature, stick in elbow. Ouch too hot!
2. Pour in some cold water. Stick in elbow. Ouch too hot!
3. Pour in some more cold water. Stick in elbow. Still too hot!
4. Pour in yet more cold water. Stick in elbow. Hmm, OK maybe.
5. Pour in a little more cold water to be on safe side. Lower baby into bath.
6. Baby screams head off and starts shivering. Conclusion, bath way too *cold*.

So, this being the 21st century, I figured there must be a better way to do this, and after browsing Amazon, I discover this nifty little thermometer. So I added it to my basket, selected first class delivery, and the thermometer arrived just in time for my son's second bath time.

This occasion bath time went like this:

1. Fill bath to what I think is the correct temperature.
2. Examine thermometer, slightly too cold! Pour in some hot water.
3. Examine thermometer, 37 degrees exactly. Lower baby into bath.
4. Baby visibly relaxes, splashes around, and generally seems to be happy.

Fast forward 10 months, the thermometer is still going strong, and bath time is one of my baby's favourite times of the day! Well worth having. Only four stars as the display can be a little slow to update to temperature changes, but still well worth the money, and an excellent purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, 19 Feb. 2007
This bath thermometer really works well.

Our baby either loves or hates his bath, purely depending on whether the water temperature is right or not.

Unlike many other thermometers, this one digitally displays the temperature, rather than by means of a colour strip. The thermometer refreshes quickly, (about 1 sec) so is good for checking water temperature when mixing. The rubber casing means it is virtually unbreakable and can be left floating in the water whilst bathing.

The design allows the thermometer to sit upright on a shelf or table which means that it can also double as a room thermometer when not being used for bathing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 1 Jun. 2008
A. Hogg "Ali" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great item, I have used both in the bath and nursery. Very accurate and fast to give the temp. After two years I'm just about to replace mine as bath products have caused a few black marks around the face but it only effects the look. A great a good looking product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Dec. 2008
This was recommended by our hospital midwives and nurses. It's brilliant. It quickly, accurately and clearly tells the temperature in the room and in the water. It also doubles up as a toy in the bath and makes bath time SO much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time saved and happy baby!, 12 Feb. 2015
Bought this the day after getting our newborn home and after reading literature about getting his bath water just right. Wanted a quick solution which would save us time waiting for the water to cool and/or guessing whether the water was at a suitable temperature for him to have a dip - this waterproof device is brilliant.
Provides great piece of mind and speeds up the whole process of preparing a bath for baby. Little note (which I almost missed in the documentation sent with the thermometer) place the thermometer in the baby bath straight away as you are filling it up - as it gives a more accurate and balanced reading - rather than throwing it once the bath is full as you wait a little longer to get a stable reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab, if frustrating!!!, 5 Jan. 2011
I'd be lying if I did not say this is one of the best baby buys I have ever made... it gives me peace of mind as I can't tell if the water is hot or cold half the time, especially in the Winter. A little concerned if it is giving inaccurate readings though.... as I tend to bath my toddler at about 39-40 degrees. I am now using this on my second baby. I panic if I misplace it! Having had it for nearly 2 years I have found that mould has grown around the display, at least I am sure it is mould, it won't come off. It is never left in water. It does take a while to adjust the temperature reading and you do need to swill the water around with it to get an accurate reading, you will find it will either go up or down considerably. The thing has to be allowed time to adjust and it is not the thermometers fault if the hot water gathers at one end! The frustrating thing is the fact that it flips upside down ALL the time, it is so annoying, I go to put my baby in, arms full and liking to double check the temperature it has turned upside down and it takes while to read the correct temperature after turning the right way! It certainly prefers to be upside down. I have not used other bath thermometers, I figured an expensive one would be safer, there may be better ones out there, but I have relied on this so heavily and would not be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for giving peace of mind!, 16 Nov. 2009
E. Roberts (Chester U.K.) - See all my reviews
This bath and room thermometer is brilliant, I am a first time mum, and expecting my baby any day now. My other half very kindly runs me a bath every night and uses the thermometer to make it the perfect temperature for me (no more scolding my feet when getting in) This will completely put my mind at rest when I run my baby's first bath, and it can double up as a bath toy for when the baby is older. Its a lovely design, and looks lovely in the bedroom/nursery as a room thermometer. I was unsure of purchasing this item because of reading the negative reviews, but when my sister-in-law bought it for me as a present, and I tried it for myself, me and my partner are more than happy with it. It doesn't constantly flip over when in the bath, and it gives an accurate reading very quickly. Of course you have to swill the water in the bath before you take a reading, and if the thermometer is in the bath when you swill the water of course its going to flip over! If you use this thermometer properly teamed with common sence you can't go wrong! Its a fab product and if your like me, and a bit of a worrier then its a sound item to have to make life a little easier with a newborn baby!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so hot, 13 Sept. 2011
Nicola Hardy (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews

The thermometer is a nice looking object, and I have no complaints about the temperature readings that it gives. I have ended up using it mainly as a bath thermometer, as I have found our BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor more useful for giving room temperature readings. As with many similar products, the BT monitor is able to display a temperature reading on a remote handset, so you can check the temperature of the nursery without disturbing your sleeping infant.

In the bath, the Philips Avent Thermometer has been useful, but it does have a tendency to turn face down when the bath is filling up. As well as hiding the display, this puts the temperature sensor out of the water, so the first reading you see when you turn it the right way up won't be an accurate one for the water. Be aware that the thermometer also takes a few seconds to respond to a change in the water's temperature, so if you turn the hot tap on trying to warm the bath up, for example, it will take a moment for the thermometer to register the new temperature, by which time the water may be too hot!

For those of you who trust your elbow as far as the baby's bath is concerned, I wouldn't bother buying this item. I have found it useful to have a bath thermometer, but feel that the manufacturers could improve upon certain aspects of the design in the future. And more colours, please!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good really., 13 Feb. 2010
Ms. D. J. Ashton (UK) - See all my reviews
Two problems really, the temp gauge is very slow to react to changes in temperature and when it is in the bath it is a bit top heavy so it tends to float upside down with the sensor sticking out of the water.